LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Took a better look at it. 3/4 of the deck is de-laminated Took a razor knife to it. In 10 sec I had a cut from rail to rail and I can literally peel the glass right off.

The foam is rough. Pretty compressed, and it's been wet many times. stringer is very proud of teh deck. I think I would have to peel more than half the glass off the piece I am planning on using, and at that point will have to address the foam before reglassing etc. If I'm going to do it, I may have to peel all the glass off and start fresh. It's seeming more and more involved. Might end up being better suited as a board for my kids. Right now they have one soft top to share.

here's some pics of the beast. need to mull this one over more. Thanks for all the feedback. by the way, that blue tape marks off 5'6" from the nose. That length would have the tail (1' up) at 23" wide :-)

She's a looker. There's no way any water got past that well placed duct tape

hey, what'd you do?

I probably need to rethink this whole thing. Anyone have a mini simmons they want to sell me :-)

That foam actually isn't that bad. A padded sanding block (make it yourself) and a mini block plane (a few bucks from the hardware store) is all you need to clean it up. Peel all the glass off, make a paper template, cut the outline with a handsaw, borrow an electric planer, and get to work!

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    That foam actually isn't that bad. A padded sanding block (make it yourself) and a mini block plane (a few bucks from the hardware store) is all you need to clean it up. Peel all the glass off, make a paper template, cut the outline with a handsaw, borrow an electric planer, and get to work!
    You're right. And I realize I cant salvage any of the glass. I grabbed tht flap of glass and pulled, and the whole deck out to the nose peeled off in one pull. I can tell the rails will release rather easily also, and I expected them to be more difficult.

I'll strip it and clean it up. I have some block planes and stuff. Only ever used them on wood, but I know how to use them. Confident I can get it cleaned up, and then I'll ponder the next move. Mini simms or kids board....maybe minisimms that becomes kids board when I realize its goodfor nothing but going straight. :-)

I would go for it. I just got into doing proper repairs on my boards recently. Sold my first board years ago, the new owner never used it so I bought it back and am fixing it up the right way. As in not using duct tape and suncure. Anyway now that I have a much better understanding on how a board is made from, hands on experience, I'm interested in doing something similar to a board I have. My boards not in as bad as shape but the tail is destroyed from a car incident aswell. It will be fun and a learning experience either way. Go for it and keep us updated. I am quite interested in how this turns out

Consider it gone for. Skinned the glass off on my lunch break. Was very easy. Lost a little foam on one rail towards the nose. My fault, went too fast. The whole proces took about 40 min. I think the ridiculous condition of this board made it very easy.

Kind of amazing, board hasn't been in the water for years, I mean like 4-5 years, and the rail is still holding a tiny bit of moisture. last time I surfed it I did have to drain it afterwards....DOH.

Anyway, the blank ended up 6'5". It's really not very thick. By the time I clean it up, I'm not going to have that much left to work with. I also wish the tail had a bit less rocker, because I can't thin it out much.

Will probably keep the general shape, and most of the length and see what I can come up with. I'll ride, let my kids ride it, whatever.

Kind of afraid to glass a whole board though. That seems like it potentially has disaster written all over it.

omfg dude ...glass it

rofl....srs do it

post a thread like "discussing pkovos design"

offer it at like 2 hundo k and have **** you tube videos to bolster all your bs

lol.... do it