LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Indo - August w/ lady and a mate?

Morning!

I'm trying to get to indo this August with my surf buddy. My lady also wants to come but she doesn't surf. But she's super chill and would be cool with what ever. Can anybody recommend a place that has awesome waves with out crowds? Maybe somewhere that we can stay on land? Tickets to Bali aren't that crazy right now. $1400 RT. Or is it better to do the mentawai islands.

Is it worth doing a boat trip? I'm hoping to go for the entire month. Thanks in advance. Stay classy.

Never been yet but check out http://www.momondo.com/ for tickets, maybe you'll even find something cheaper. Last year I got Bangkok RT for $1200 CAD (1month in advance), Indonesia could be even cheaper

a discount airline would probably consciously paint a target on your board bag.
    do your absolute best to get it in writing (i know, i know….) before the money
    changes hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bksurfer View Post
    morning!

I'm trying to get to indo this august with my surf buddy. My lady also wants to come but she doesn't surf. But she's super chill and would be cool with what ever. Can anybody recommend a place that has awesome waves with out crowds? Maybe somewhere that we can stay on land? Tickets to bali aren't that crazy right now. $1400 rt. Or is it better to do the mentawai islands.

Is it worth doing a boat trip? I'm hoping to go for the entire month. Thanks in advance. Stay classy.
    no chicks!

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.gnar28 View Post
    Seems like a good place to start. Then maybe hop around some. The wave out front looks weak though. Be great to score some epic surf since I'm traveling to the other side of the world.

Images
    canggu and Ulu are where you want to stay. Several great places in both. Use those as your "base camps" if you're only there for a week or two, and although we didn't do boat trip when we went, I'm glad we didn't. 12 dudes on a boat for 10 days?

Quote Originally Posted by BKSurfer View Post
    Seems like a good place to start. Then maybe hop around some. The wave out front looks weak though. Be great to score some epic surf since I'm traveling to the other side of the world.
    Ment. boat trip with girl that doesn't surf (even if she is cool) is recipe for disaster. She will be bored on the boat with nothing to do. Poor food, extreme heat, medicore accomodations...it's gonna create problems for you- trust me. Plus what you spend on a week long boat trip plus the travel to get to the boat you could spend a month plus in Bali. You can take side small boat trips from Bali for one or two day adventures to Lombok, Gillis (no surf there though), Lembongan. If you can handle critical, large lefts you can take trips to G land and Desert Point (probably best left in the world) too right from Bali
    Stay down on the Bukit in Bali, you got like 6 breaks there, Ulus, Bingin etc...and also up at Canguu...hr ride up to Keramas. About as epic as it gets
    August is peak season in Indo. You won't find a weak wave anywhere really. Then again, you will also find crowds...many with very good, agro Aussies and absolutely ripping local Balinese. Don't be surprised if it's head high to DOH every day, even at Balangan, with some days much, much bigger. Enjoy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    August is peak season in Indo. You won't find a weak wave anywhere really. Then again, you will also find crowds...many with very good, agro Aussies and absolutely ripping local Balinese. Don't be surprised if it's head high to DOH every day, even at Balangan, with some days much, much bigger. Enjoy
    Note to self... Plan surf trip to Bali next August... That was #1 on my travel list and at one point I promised myself a trip there, with the boys before I got married and had a kid. Now Im married with a 2 year old and don't see being able to drag them out to Bali with me. Its a crying shame. My boys in San Diego used to go out there every august. They would come back drained, burnt and stoked out of their minds. They would complain about the cold CA water and the small surf when it was Head high for weeks after their trips until they came back to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by BKSurfer View Post
    Nothing weak about Balangan. You asked for a mellow crowd suggestion and that's what you got. Balangan is the fastest wave I've ever surfed (I've got plenty of time to correct that). Ulus is clearly a way more quality break but you'll have to do your share of hassling.