LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Artificial Islands off NJ/NY

Does anyone know anything about this? Is this still possible or did they drop the idea? Can't believe nobody has posted this yet.

Thoughts?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...w-jersey-sandy

Images
    Think someone posted earlier in the week...thread summary: dumb idea, too costly, don't worry b/c it probly won't happen.

Yeah, it does seem far fetched. But, if it really does happen. It could mean the end of any longer period swells reaching the coast. I know myself would have to move to another state.

Just the thought of this happening is lunacy. The artificial islands may stop big swells, but there is still the coastal flooding/storm surge that will remain in effect. Seems like a lot of work to really accomplish nothing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    Just the thought of this happening is lunacy. The artificial islands may stop big swells, but there is still the coastal flooding/storm surge that will remain in effect. Seems like a lot of work to really accomplish nothing.
    In a hypothetical situation, if this project was given serious consideration, I think this ^^^ will trump any of the benefits, can't stop the surge and flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    In a hypothetical situation, if this project was given serious consideration, I think this ^^^ will trump any of the benefits, can't stop the surge and flooding.
    Exactly.
    Look what happened to CT shoreline from sandy!!! And their totally blocked in with long island sound.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Exactly.
    Look what happened to CT shoreline from sandy!!! And their totally blocked in with long island sound.
    um, not totally. halloween storm (was it 1991??) connecticut pumped many spots.

Yeah, it does seem far fetched. But, if it really does happen. It could mean the end of any longer period swells reaching the coast. I know myself would have to move to another state.

It would stop ALL swell. The islands are less than 20 miles offshore. 8-10 second period swell has to be generated from a MUCH larger area than that. It would be as flat as a lake. It would have about the same wave action as long island sound. For this reason alone(people want a real ocean) I don't think is likely to happen. There's so much red tape out there(environmental groups/surfrider/people/tourists who want to visit an ocean/property owners who want a real ocean) that I can't see something like this happening. It's a nutcase idea.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    It would stop ALL swell. The islands are less than 20 miles offshore. 8-10 second period swell has to be generated from a MUCH larger area than that. It would be as flat as a lake. It would have about the same wave action as long island sound. For this reason alone(people want a real ocean) I don't think is likely to happen. There's so much red tape out there(environmental groups/surfrider/people/tourists who want to visit an ocean/property owners who want a real ocean) that I can't see something like this happening. It's a nutcase idea.
    I have to disagree....8-10 seconds is basically on the lower side of a medium period, which we get all the time, most of our swells are short/medium periods and are generated mostly "locally" by the wind (storms). We only get a few legit long period swells a year (15 seconds +). So we would still have waves, just not anything great. Also, something to think about...the islands won't stop the wind generated by spinners.
    Last edited by NJ Hype; Apr 3, 2014 at 09:49 PM.

I have to disagree....8-10 seconds is basically on the lower side of a medium period, which we get all the time, most of our swells are short/medium periods and are generated mostly "locally" by the wind (storms). We only get a few legit long period swells a year (15 seconds +). So we would still have waves, just not anything great. Also, something to think about...the islands won't stop the wind generated by spinners.
    You got no clue dog. An 8 second period swell will not be generated from a distance of 10-15 miles. That's all you have to work with. Only CHOP(period less than 5 seconds will be created) and that will die out almost immediately once the winds go offshore. That's why long island sound has no waves. And neither do the great lakes. It's not a large enough area to create 8-10 second energy with offshore winds.(those video's you see of lake superior rideable are the once a year for a few hours if you're lucky)

An 8 second swell come from hundreds of miles away. The period is determined by how large of a fetch the wind is blowing over. Not how far away it came from. Obviously though ground swells decay less and can come from THOUSANDS of miles away. If you have a good wind fetch for a low pressure system a 100 miles off hatteras, you will get a 8-10 seconds period swell on nj. If you have those islands, you'll get NOTHING. The waves(short period wind swell) will smash into the islands. And it will be a little unrideable chop inside that on nj shore.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 4, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Most truly long period swells (12-15 seconds plus) don't break very well in NJ. They hit the beaches as very long close outs. You really need reefs or points to handle longer period waves.
    Our "medium" period waves from 8-11 seconds can come from hundreds of miles away. You don't get 10 second period waves within 10-15 miles where these islands would be. They can come from as far south as NC as stated.
    I put "medium" in quotes because 8-11 seconds is a on the lower side of medium period, if you are comparing to a place like Hawaii. They can get 20 second plus swells there, coming from a thousand miles+ away. 8-11 seconds is medium to short period by their standards. For NJ, it's the perfect period for our beach breaks.

Anyway, the islandswould block any ridable surf for the entire NJ shore pretty much, unless you want to goof around in knee high wind slop after a storm.
    It's a ridiculous idea for many reasons.