LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Artificial Islands off NJ/NY

Does anyone know anything about this? Is this still possible or did they drop the idea? Can't believe nobody has posted this yet.

Thoughts?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...w-jersey-sandy

Images
    Think someone posted earlier in the week...thread summary: dumb idea, too costly, don't worry b/c it probly won't happen.

Yeah, it does seem far fetched. But, if it really does happen. It could mean the end of any longer period swells reaching the coast. I know myself would have to move to another state.

Just the thought of this happening is lunacy. The artificial islands may stop big swells, but there is still the coastal flooding/storm surge that will remain in effect. Seems like a lot of work to really accomplish nothing.

thanks man....didn't notice that thread when i searched.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    Just the thought of this happening is lunacy. The artificial islands may stop big swells, but there is still the coastal flooding/storm surge that will remain in effect. Seems like a lot of work to really accomplish nothing.
    In a hypothetical situation, if this project was given serious consideration, I think this ^^^ will trump any of the benefits, can't stop the surge and flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    Yeah, it does seem far fetched. But, if it really does happen. It could mean the end of any longer period swells reaching the coast. I know myself would have to move to another state.

It would stop ALL swell. The islands are less than 20 miles offshore. 8-10 second period swell has to be generated from a MUCH larger area than that. It would be as flat as a lake. It would have about the same wave action as long island sound. For this reason alone(people want a real ocean) I don't think is likely to happen. There's so much red tape out there(environmental groups/surfrider/people/tourists who want to visit an ocean/property owners who want a real ocean) that I can't see something like this happening. It's a nutcase idea.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    In a hypothetical situation, if this project was given serious consideration, I think this ^^^ will trump any of the benefits, can't stop the surge and flooding.
    Exactly.
    Look what happened to CT shoreline from sandy!!! And their totally blocked in with long island sound.

Images
    Time to get a BOAT

Bust
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Let's keep building on the existing thread on this topic. It had potential to start mackin into one of SI's better threads. Further posts on this one is promoting a disorganized state of the forum waves.