LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The "ocho"
    Posts
    11
    just surf the outter islands you ****ing kooks..... there will still be swell that hits those islands. It will suck if it happens but holy ****.... figure it out

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    just surf the outter islands you ****ing kooks..... there will still be swell that hits those islands. It will suck if it happens but holy ****.... figure it out
    They are basically going to be breakwaters, not real islands. There won't be surfable waves on them. Even if they were, you would have to have a boat to get 15-20 miles out.
    This plan will destroy surfing in NJ, forever.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    just surf the outter islands you ****ing kooks..... there will still be swell that hits those islands. It will suck if it happens but holy ****.... figure it out
    Oh well. "The butcher" just figured it all out for us. Thanks man!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    They are basically going to be breakwaters, not real islands. There won't be surfable waves on them. Even if they were, you would have to have a boat to get 15-20 miles out.
    This plan will destroy surfing in NJ, forever.
    Dude("the butcher") is clearly a troll

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    I have to disagree....8-10 seconds is basically on the lower side of a medium period, which we get all the time, most of our swells are short/medium periods and are generated mostly "locally" by the wind (storms). We only get a few legit long period swells a year (15 seconds +). So we would still have waves, just not anything great. Also, something to think about...the islands won't stop the wind generated by spinners.
    Most truly long period swells (12-15 seconds plus) don't break very well in NJ. They hit the beaches as very long close outs. You really need reefs or points to handle longer period waves.
    Our "medium" period waves from 8-11 seconds can come from hundreds of miles away. You don't get 10 second period waves within 10-15 miles where these islands would be. They can come from as far south as NC as stated.
    I put "medium" in quotes because 8-11 seconds is a on the lower side of medium period, if you are comparing to a place like Hawaii. They can get 20 second plus swells there, coming from a thousand miles+ away. 8-11 seconds is medium to short period by their standards. For NJ, it's the perfect period for our beach breaks.

    Anyway, the islandswould block any ridable surf for the entire NJ shore pretty much, unless you want to goof around in knee high wind slop after a storm.
    It's a ridiculous idea for many reasons.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    You got no clue dog. An 8 second period swell will not be generated from a distance of 10-15 miles. That's all you have to work with. Only CHOP(period less than 5 seconds will be created) and that will die out almost immediately once the winds go offshore. That's why long island sound has no waves. And neither do the great lakes. It's not a large enough area to create 8-10 second energy with offshore winds.(those video's you see of lake superior rideable are the once a year for a few hours if you're lucky)


    An 8 second swell come from hundreds of miles away. The period is determined by how large of a fetch the wind is blowing over. Not how far away it came from. Obviously though ground swells decay less and can come from THOUSANDS of miles away. If you have a good wind fetch for a low pressure system a 100 miles off hatteras, you will get a 8-10 seconds period swell on nj. If you have those islands, you'll get NOTHING. The waves(short period wind swell) will smash into the islands. And it will be a little unrideable chop inside that on nj shore.
    Hey man...no disrespect but, I understand how waves are generated, been in the scene for over 20 years. A good thunderstorm can create waves @ 7 seconds. I have seen it flat and a few hours later, there are waves @ 7 seconds on many occasions. Not saying that 7-8 seconds can't come from out at sea either. which most of the time it does.

    What happens when there is a stiff S wind blowing for days? would the islands block that? Yes, it can to some extent, depending on how large the fetch is, but there could be some funneling effect. Remember too from south to north there would be no islands. so you would have hundreds of miles of stretch. Again, this is speculation as nobody on this forum or anywhere really know what would happen, all we can do is assume. I just think the islands would block mainly N, NE, E, SE, and some S swells from sea, but not all south swells, and not local wind driven waves from storms which have and can produce a 7 second wave.

    Again, I am no professional, nor looking to start an argument, but I have been in the game for a long time and have experienced on several occasions thunderstorms producing ripable waves. get up in the morning, flat...T-storm rips through, surfing waist to stomach waves in the afternoon. Can't even count how many times I've done that.

    I guess all in all what I am saying is that IF the islands were created, that it would not block every single swell. Only swells coming from beyond the the islands. Again, speculation, nobody knows for sure.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    Hey man...no disrespect but, I understand how waves are generated, been in the scene for over 20 years. A good thunderstorm can create waves @ 7 seconds. I have seen it flat and a few hours later, there are waves @ 7 seconds on many occasions. Not saying that 7-8 seconds can't come from out at sea either. which most of the time it does.

    What happens when there is a stiff S wind blowing for days? would the islands block that? Yes, it can to some extent, depending on how large the fetch is, but there could be some funneling effect. Remember too from south to north there would be no islands. so you would have hundreds of miles of stretch. Again, this is speculation as nobody on this forum or anywhere really know what would happen, all we can do is assume. I just think the islands would block mainly N, NE, E, SE, and some S swells from sea, but not all south swells, and not local wind driven waves from storms which have and can produce a 7 second wave.

    Again, I am no professional, nor looking to start an argument, but I have been in the game for a long time and have experienced on several occasions thunderstorms producing ripable waves. get up in the morning, flat...T-storm rips through, surfing waist to stomach waves in the afternoon. Can't even count how many times I've done that.

    I guess all in all what I am saying is that IF the islands were created, that it would not block every single swell. Only swells coming from beyond the the islands. Again, speculation, nobody knows for sure.
    Did it ever occur to you that the thunderstorms were from a strong frontal system with winds ahead of the system blowing out in the open ocean? LOL
    Yes we do know what would happen if you put a breakwater up blocking waves 12 miles out. No waves. It's not guess work. It's fact. Look what long island does to ct.
    All swells would come from beyond the islands. Nothing would be generated from inside. You seem kind of thick headed. You can't generate a swell from 15 miles of fetch to point of impact. HELLO MCFLY. Could a very powerful south swell maybe sneak in? Sure, but that's about it and that would depend how they have the islands set up. If they put in an island/breakwater at the bottom laterally to protect the metro area than nothing will get in. And anything with an east/southeast/southsoutheast/northeast would be gone. Very limited south swell at best depending if they bend in an island to block in the south as well since there'd be no point in doing all that if you don't block up the south.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 5, 2014 at 01:23 AM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Let's keep building on the existing thread on this topic. It had potential to start mackin into one of SI's better threads. Further posts on this one is promoting a disorganized state of the forum waves.
    No need for this comment.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that the thunderstorms were from a strong frontal system with winds ahead of the system blowing out in the open ocean? LOL
    Yes we do know what would happen if you put a breakwater up blocking waves 12 miles out. No waves. It's not guess work. It's fact. Look what long island does to ct.
    All swells would come from beyond the islands. Nothing would be generated from inside. You seem kind of thick headed. You can't generate a swell from 15 miles of fetch to point of impact. HELLO MCFLY. Could a very powerful south swell maybe sneak in? Sure, but that's about it and that would depend how they have the islands set up. If they put in an island/breakwater at the bottom laterally to protect the metro area than nothing will get in. And anything with an east/southeast/southsoutheast/northeast would be gone. Very limited south swell at best depending if they bend in an island to block in the south as well since there'd be no point in doing all that if you don't block up the south.
    You are so clueless it's hilarious. You must be a teenager or have the mentality of one. Oh it's fact cause you say, right? LOL at your long island to ct comparison. which means nothing in this situation, first long island is a real island, not a breakwall. Thick headed? that wasn't nice kid...did I come on here and say "hey look there's shark hunter, the hard on" don't think so...

    I'm not disagreeing that mostly all swells will be blocked. meaning beyond the scope. But, you couldn't be more wrong about waves not generating from a 15 mile fetch. I have seen it happen tons of times in my lifetime. And, Oh you saying that a powerful south swell could sneak in now? Thought you said ALL swell would be blocked, IIRC from your first post. But, if they were to cap off the ends on the project....no more s swell...just local wind swell.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Monmouth
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    Hey man...no disrespect but, I understand how waves are generated, been in the scene for over 20 years. A good thunderstorm can create waves @ 7 seconds. I have seen it flat and a few hours later, there are waves @ 7 seconds on many occasions. Not saying that 7-8 seconds can't come from out at sea either. which most of the time it does.

    What happens when there is a stiff S wind blowing for days? would the islands block that? Yes, it can to some extent, depending on how large the fetch is, but there could be some funneling effect. Remember too from south to north there would be no islands. so you would have hundreds of miles of stretch. Again, this is speculation as nobody on this forum or anywhere really know what would happen, all we can do is assume. I just think the islands would block mainly N, NE, E, SE, and some S swells from sea, but not all south swells, and not local wind driven waves from storms which have and can produce a 7 second wave.

    Again, I am no professional, nor looking to start an argument, but I have been in the game for a long time and have experienced on several occasions thunderstorms producing ripable waves. get up in the morning, flat...T-storm rips through, surfing waist to stomach waves in the afternoon. Can't even count how many times I've done that.

    I guess all in all what I am saying is that IF the islands were created, that it would not block every single swell. Only swells coming from beyond the the islands. Again, speculation, nobody knows for sure.
    Wind waves are generated by uninterupted distance the wind touches the water and wind speed which means the wind would have to blow at hurricane force or greater to create surf and as soon as it went offshore it would die in an hour. In this scenario we would have surf at the real beach about as often as the beaches in the raritan bay. I am a marine biology major and I spent a half of a year on the subject of how winds currents and tides are generated. I also have been surfing for 25+ yrs and I know many surfers who surfed this long think they know alot but never actually learned the science of it. Look at Miami and south Florida, Just because of the bahamas they get no waves except on swells that come from where the islands arent. Side note, Unless they make these things like 50-100 feet above sea level it wouldnt stop tidal waves or sandy like storm surges in fact if a hurricane came from the direct south it might amplify the flooding bu trapping the water against the shore longer. Stupid Idea from the guy who wants to save humanity from soda.