LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    You are so clueless it's hilarious. You must be a teenager or have the mentality of one. Oh it's fact cause you say, right? LOL at your long island to ct comparison. which means nothing in this situation, first long island is a real island, not a breakwall. Thick headed? that wasn't nice kid...did I come on here and say "hey look there's shark hunter, the hard on" don't think so...

    I'm not disagreeing that mostly all swells will be blocked. meaning beyond the scope. But, you couldn't be more wrong about waves not generating from a 15 mile fetch. I have seen it happen tons of times in my lifetime. And, Oh you saying that a powerful south swell could sneak in now? Thought you said ALL swell would be blocked, IIRC from your first post. But, if they were to cap off the ends on the project....no more s swell...just local wind swell
    Yes you did. Let me refresh your memory....... LOL!
    SWELL (local windswell, not chop) does not generate properly from 15 miles from point of impact. If that was the case, you'd have 7 second period swell on lake champlain and surfing there! I don't think they have rideable waves like nj last time I checked.

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    I have to disagree....8-10 seconds is basically on the lower side of a medium period, which we get all the time, most of our swells are short/medium periods and are generated mostly "locally" by the wind (storms). We only get a few legit long period swells a year (15 seconds +). So we would still have waves, just not anything great. Also, something to think about...the islands won't stop the wind generated by spinners.
    Total NONSENSE. 10 second period swell from a 15 mile fetch to point of impact? LOL Man, I can't believe I'm wasting my energy having this conversation with you.

    Micah, can you please explain to this genius that you can't generate a swell within a 15 miles window between the island and the mainland. And obviously any swell, which is generated outside of there would be shadowed/blocked by the islands as well. It would be a disaster. I can't believe I'm having an argument with this guy about this.

    You would not get "local windswell". Swell, 7 seconds or greater has to form over an open ocean. You would get chop. The same thing you get on the north shore of long island when a straight due north wind blows over long island sound. That is NOT swell. Not local windswell. It's CHOP. This is not a hard concept to understand.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ glide View Post
    Side note, Unless they make these things like 50-100 feet above sea level it wouldnt stop tidal waves or sandy like storm surges in fact if a hurricane came from the direct south it might amplify the flooding bu trapping the water against the shore longer. Stupid Idea from the guy who wants to save humanity from soda.
    True.

    It's not mayor Bloomberg. LOL....It's blumberg. Different guy.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Yes you did. Let me refresh your memory....... LOL!
    SWELL (local windswell, not chop) does not generate properly from 15 miles from point of impact. If that was the case, you'd have 7 second period swell on lake champlain and surfing there! I don't think they have rideable waves like nj last time I checked.


    Total NONSENSE. 10 second period swell from a 15 mile fetch to point of impact? LOL Man, I can't believe I'm wasting my energy having this conversation with you.

    Micah, can you please explain to this genius that you can't generate a swell within a 15 miles window between the island and the mainland. And obviously any swell, which is generated outside of there would be shadowed/blocked by the islands as well. It would be a disaster. I can't believe I'm having an argument with this guy about this.

    You would not get "local windswell". Swell, 7 seconds or greater has to form over an open ocean. You would get chop. The same thing you get on the north shore of long island when a straight due north wind blows over long island sound. That is NOT swell. Not local windswell. It's CHOP. This is not a hard concept to understand.
    not what I said.....I said here in NJ we mainly get 8-10 second periods. the end....Never said a 10 second period would get generated within 15 miles. Was more meaning the lower end of the medium period...But, I did say we could get up to 7, which is fact. I've experienced that as well as others. It depends on how hard the wind is blowing, how long it is blowing for, and how big the fetch is.

    You're right....there's no waves on lake champlain....

    https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...2F%3B420%3B282

    but, I'm about over this convo...it's like beating a dead horse.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    not what I said.....I said here in NJ we mainly get 8-10 second periods. the end....Never said a 10 second period would get generated within 15 miles. Was more meaning the lower end of the medium period...But, I did say we could get up to 7, which is fact. I've experienced that as well as others. It depends on how hard the wind is blowing, how long it is blowing for, and how big the fetch is.

    You're right....there's no waves on lake champlain....

    https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...2F%3B420%3B282

    but, I'm about over this convo...it's like beating a dead horse.
    That's CHOP. That's not a rideable organized local wind swell. You have to remember when you only have 15 miles to work with that the swell can't get organized. you end up with all kinds of short period junk mixing in and by the time it cleans up....there's nothing left! Because you only had 15 miles to work with. Have fun shredding on lake Champlain. I don't know, but I think nj just might have better waves. Just maybe. It's like beating a dead horse because you refuse to admit you were dead wrong. So you keep trying to justify a wrong position and try to "save face" rather than just admit you were wrong, which is not even a big deal.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    That's CHOP. That's not a rideable organized local wind swell. You have to remember when you only have 15 miles to work with that the swell can't get organized. you end up with all kinds of short period junk mixing in and by the time it cleans up....there's nothing left! Because you only had 15 miles to work with. Have fun shredding on lake Champlain. I don't know, but I think nj just might have better waves. Just maybe. It's like beating a dead horse because you refuse to admit you were dead wrong. So you keep trying to justify a wrong position and try to "save face" rather than just admit you were wrong, which is not even a big deal.
    You can call it what you want. I never said it was organized. maybe you can't ride them but, it certainly can be ridable. and it certainly IS a wave. Also, never said here in NJ that it would be epic surf, all I said that there would be a wave. You mean to tell me you never surfed waves like this in NJ before? We get a lot of "chop" as you would call it. It can be fun with peaks all over the place, short rides but enough to drop in and blow the top of the wave off. Regardless if the west wind blows it all out, we still get a window of surf...sometimes that windows is super small, but there is usually a window.

    Of course NJ has better waves than lake Champlain, the lake rarely gets waves, but when a 40+ mph wind sets in, it produces waves. Just like what happens here when a 40+ wind kicks in. So, the only one trying to justify anything is you.
    Last edited by NJ Hype; Apr 5, 2014 at 02:31 PM.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    You can call it what you want. I never said it was organized. maybe you can't ride them but, it certainly can be ridable. and it certainly IS a wave. Also, never said here in NJ that it would be epic surf, all I said that there would be a wave. You mean to tell me you never surfed waves like this in NJ before? We get a lot of "chop" as you would call it. It can be fun with peaks all over the place, short rides but enough to drop in and blow the top of the wave off. Regardless if the west wind blows it all out, we still get a window of surf...sometimes that windows is super small, but there is usually a window.

    Of course NJ has better waves than lake Champlain, the lake rarely gets waves, but when a 40+ mph wind sets in, it produces waves. Just like what happens here when a 40+ wind kicks in. So, the only one trying to justify anything is you.
    No I don't ride blown out disorganized crap like that.
    7 second period swells with clean winds are NOT chop. They are local windswell. The exact thing that the islands will block.


    I have to disagree....8-10 seconds is basically on the lower side of a medium period, which we get all the time, most of our swells are short/medium periods and are generated mostly "locally" by the wind (storms). We only get a few legit long period swells a year (15 seconds +). So we would still have waves, just not anything great. Also, something to think about...the islands won't stop the wind generated by spinners.
    Enjoy that 8-10 second period waves with good winds on lake champlain! Heard it's going to be epic this week. Going to be some big winds from that nor'easter!

    I thought you were done? lol

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    No I don't ride blown out disorganized crap like that.
    7 second period swells with clean winds are NOT chop. They are local windswell. The exact thing that the islands will block.


    Enjoy that 8-10 second period waves with good winds on lake champlain! Heard it's going to be epic this week. Going to be some big winds from that nor'easter!

    I thought you were done? lol
    lol....so now you admit 7 seconds can be generated by local windswell. Thanks...That was my whole point. 7 seconds generated beyond the islands would get blocked. 40+ winds locally can produce waves and can be ridable with the perfectly timed window.

    Just booked my fight....see you there!

    now I'm done....

  8. #38
    Lake Champlain is over 100 miles long. I've never seen a rideable wave on a lake that is 12 miles long.
    I don't think any decent surf would be generated inside the island.

    Not arguing with anyone. Just my opinion.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ethernet
    Posts
    2,395
    you can look up a table that has fetch, wind speed and duration and see what sized seas a given condition set is capable of producing

    my god shark hunter is the worst poster on here

    fetch.jpg

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hype View Post
    lol....so now you admit 7 seconds can be generated by local windswell. Thanks...That was my whole point. 7 seconds generated beyond the islands would get blocked. 40+ winds locally can produce waves and can be ridable with the perfectly timed window.

    Just booked my fight....see you there!

    now I'm done....
    No it can't generate 7 second rideable swell inside the islands in a 15 mile window.

    DUDE! What difference does it make if there are 50 mph onshore winds! VAS Conditions don't count. We are talking rideable windswell. HELLO MCFLY!
    WTF are you talking about?

    BY THE TIME IT CLEANS IT UP....THERE'S NO MORE SWELL COMING IN. SO IF YOU LIKE VAS AND CHOP(which is got all kinds of short period crap mixed).....THEN YOU'RE GOOD TO GO!

    Go have fun surfing near bridgeport, ct with all that "local 8-10 second period windswell" . According to you, anytime you got a 40 mph wind, it's rideable waves on long island sound(which is larger than the body of water between those islands) LOL
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 5, 2014 at 07:23 PM.