LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting back in to the water

Ive been out of the water now for about three months since my shoulder injury. For those that have suffered a separated shoulder. When did you start to feel you were ready to get back into the lineup. Ive been able to go to work and lift 50 and 60 pound box's. Only thing i feel is tightness in my shoulder not really pain although it can be sore after a long day. Any info could help, been aching to get back into the water.

Paddling and surfing has been therapy itself for my shoulder and the cure. It's resistance with no-impact during the paddle and on a variety of planes, therefore strengthening all of the muscles and connective tissues around the joint. Make sure you're cleared to even be paddling and in the water as there's certainly a time that's too early even for that.

Things to avoid: 1) ballistic paddling on your last few scratches into the wave - let the wave go if you need a frenzy to get in it; 2) getting turned or thrown in odd ways while duck diving - if the wave is heavy enough and you don't get deep enough the board can be ripped from your hands beyond your will and this can easily stress and damage the shoulder; 3) any type of fall - you're more likely to re-injure the shoulder as your arms and body are flailing rather than falling on a rock, sand bottom or wave surface on your shoulder. 4) if you're skilled to the point where you're throwing turns and hacks at full speed, the ranges of motion on certain maneuvers can be too explosive and intense for the joint as it's healing; 5) getting in and out of a properly fitting suit - if it fits right then it's pretty tight and this could be the easiest way to hurt yourself believe it or not.

Surfing has been the answer for my shoulder. Doesn't mean that at several different times I haven't almost re-injured it from one of the above. Staying above the realm of jeopardy in smaller to moderate clean surf to start isn't a bad idea. Always be heavily hydrated as well. The times I've injured my shoulder were instances where my body was low on fluids and therefore the joint and tissues weren't hydrated either.

Emass thanks for the info, I will defiantly take that into consideration. My plan is like you say just go surf when its smaller right now, probably gonna borrow a fun board from a buddy of mine and work my way up to my fish that I have. I also plan to joint a rec center that has a pool in it to start swimming some to strengthen my shoulder. It sucks that the one decent winter we have had in a while I end up injuring my shoulder at the beginning of it

I've separated / dislocated both shoulders, usually wait a couple weeks then go back out there, surfing keeps them strong and the more I do it the better they seem to feel, but occasionally they quit on me. Using proper technique while paddling helps too, i'd say just go out in some small stuff to get your paddling power and confidence back, then start testing out some larger waves after you do that without further injury.

Everything emass said you should think about when you get out there.

Don't push it too quickly even when you feel really good. Re injuring yourself is the worst.

When you eat it, tuck your arms in against your body.

The biggest thing is proper paddling technique. Most of surfing is paddling and that's really how you can do long term damage. This is coming from someone with multiple dislocations of each shoulder. When they can 3d print joints straight into your body I'll be golden, but until then I try to paddle the right way to preserve me joints.

Watch how swimmers swim. The elbow is high and your finger tips just graze the water. Keep everything moving forward as close to the body as possible. Don't flail way out wide. And roll just a bit on the board. Not so hard that you roll off or affect the straight path of your paddling, but just a bit.

This also applies on the pull. Pull down, in and back. Not to the side. You'll get more power.

Another idea: I was getting real bad shoulder inflammation after started surfing at 60, which was bad not only for surfing but my other hobby of daily lap swimming. I started to take two tablets of advil 45 minutes before surfing. What a difference. Rarely have shoulder issues now. It no longer hurts during or after surfing .

I copied the idea off the tennis pro John McEnroe who did it before his big tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Another idea: I was getting real bad shoulder inflammation after started surfing at 60, which was bad not only for surfing but my other hobby of daily lap swimming. I started to take two tablets of advil 45 minutes before surfing. What a difference. Rarely have shoulder issues now. It no longer hurts during or after surfing .

I copied the idea off the tennis pro John McEnroe who did it before his big tournaments.
    As long as you don't mind sacrificing your liver, Betty.

Bail on the Advil. Nasty stuff. Try Aleve. Do some research, I think you'll chuck the Advil pretty quickly.

Once or twice a week shouldn't do harm. I only use it pre surfing, not for the lapmswimming....But I hear you. I think advil is hard on kidneys, Tylenol is hard on liver. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Once or twice a week shouldn't do harm. I only use it pre surfing, not for the lapmswimming....But I hear you. I think advil is hard on kidneys, Tylenol is hard on liver. No?
    Ibuprofen = nice now

Ibuprofen = very, very bad later

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    As long as you don't mind sacrificing your liver, Betty.

Bail on the Advil. Nasty stuff. Try Aleve. Do some research, I think you'll chuck the Advil pretty quickly.
    +1 on Aleve, works so much better and lasts longer