LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feeling Anxious?

Angst, buyers remorse, fear etc. etc. Unless its the same dimensions, same volume, same fin set up, same board, I think it's natural for everyone to be a little anxious about a new board. Unless you're a pro or have any significant wealth, boards are expensive. And just like a car, loose value extremely quickly. We pay a huge premium to have a fresh deck but is it worth it?

Off the rack, I honestly don't know. I have had some luck, or it was diligence performed (I'm a little obsessive about surfing and learning all things surf related) because I have a success rate of about 85%. But I have bought a couple "lemons", and nothing is more irritating. The worst off the wrack buy was an Al Merrick, it worked, it was funnish, but I think I learned more about what I don't like than I learned about what I did like about the board design. So was it a total loss, no, but in retrospect an expensive lesson learned.

Whats your worst Surfboard buying experience??

Reading this thread starter is right up there.

Solid negativity on your first post, Sparky.

I bought a POS 7S Superfish about 10 years ago. Not only did it surf like ****, it was brittle as hell and dinged whenever I sneezed or farted on it.

Best three boards I've ever owned were custom. I have had some very good off the rack boards as well though. I'm currently riding a custom fish that I like a lot. What I have found over the years is if you bought an off the rack board you really like, go get a custom by the same shaper. Better to have the dimensions slightly tweaked to your specs instead of going to a completely different shaper and trying to duplicate the board you liked. Chances are it won't ride the same at all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Reading this thread starter is right up there.

Solid negativity on your first post, Sparky.
    Solid negativity on all your posts, could you actually contribute something for a change?

This. Is. A. Hello. Thread. In. Disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by N1KH2O View Post
    Angst, buyers remorse, fear etc. etc. Unless its the same dimensions, same volume, same fin set up, same board, I think it's natural for everyone to be a little anxious about a new board. Unless you're a pro or have any significant wealth, boards are expensive. And just like a car, loose value extremely quickly. We pay a huge premium to have a fresh deck but is it worth it?

Off the rack, I honestly don't know. I have had some luck, or it was diligence performed (I'm a little obsessive about surfing and learning all things surf related) because I have a success rate of about 85%. But I have bought a couple "lemons", and nothing is more irritating. The worst off the wrack buy was an Al Merrick, it worked, it was funnish, but I think I learned more about what I don't like than I learned about what I did like about the board design. So was it a total loss, no, but in retrospect an expensive lesson learned.

Whats your worst Surfboard buying experience??

bought an epoxy Jimmy Keith called the Queen Ann's revenge from a local shop for a waaaaay too expensive price. Surfed great, was light weight and had a blast on it.

I don't know if it was the way Jimmy Keith mixed the resin or what but this board turned out to be the biggest lemon of all time. Within 5 months of purchase the board de-laminated majorly 4 times. Each time I got it repaired, and almost every few weeks I would take it out of my board bag and witness a huge bubble of water appear on the deck. I wasn't doing any big airs or hard turns on it, and I made a point never to slam my knee into it to hard on duck dives or mistreat it etc.

long story short, last time I buy a board from that local shop, last time I buy a Jimmy Keith, and last time I buy an epoxy board in general. I'm sticking to used boards until I get a salary one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterjasson View Post
    Solid negativity on all your posts, could you actually contribute something for a change?
    I wouldn't want to disappoint my troll fan club, Francis. I'll let you handle all of the Einstein material.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    I bought a POS 7S Superfish about 10 years ago. Not only did it surf like ****, it was brittle as hell and dinged whenever I sneezed or farted on it.
    Ditto. And then it turned to concrete.

One of those first generation quads back in the 80s. The thing could only go straight.