LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Single Fin Guide

So there's tip everywhere how to improve typical thruster, longboard, bodyboard mechanics. But what about this 6'6 retro single fin im experimenting with? Not much info on the net about these physics (maybe overthinking it). It's a tear drop with a pulled in diamond tail. Any good sources/tips? Thanks brahhhs

Try to research Cheyne Horan - he designed single fin teardrop shapes and almost won the world championship in the late 70s using some kind of weird fin - a double keel single fin (looks like an inverted Y) taken from America Cup sailboat technology. Maybe right before the thruster was invented by Simon Anderson in the early 80s. So he was looking for an alternative to the twin fins (MR inspired) and the standard single fins (Lopez inspired) of the day. I don't know why it faded from the scene, maybe too back weighted with out enough forward drive to work on hollow waves?

It's a single fin, you drop in and trim.

yea i guess, was thinking there might be ways to sizzle up the bottom turn or cutback
    Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    It's a single fin, you drop in and trim.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Try to research Cheyne Horan - he designed single fin teardrop shapes and almost won the world championship in the late 70s using some kind of weird fin - a double keel single fin (looks like an inverted Y) taken from America Cup sailboat technology. Maybe right before the thruster was invented by Simon Anderson in the early 80s.
    they were super cool shapes at the time but simon kinda won the argument.

Try to research Cheyne Horan - he designed single fin teardrop shapes and almost won the world championship in the late 70s using some kind of weird fin - a double keel single fin (looks like an inverted Y) taken from America Cup sailboat technology. Maybe right before the thruster was invented by Simon Anderson in the early 80s. So he was looking for an alternative to the twin fins (MR inspired) and the standard single fins (Lopez inspired) of the day. I don't know why it faded from the scene, maybe too back weighted with out enough forward drive to work on hollow waves?
    Those are reverse teardrops, from the description it seems that we are supposed to be discussing a teardrop shape with the narrow end at the tail.

Singlefin shortboards have usually suffered due to poor fins, I used to re fin mine.

At the risk of being accused of advertising I suggest that the Warp Drive spitfire fins which I'm making improve the ride immensely... no more nursing the board through turns and no more soggy response.

was thinking bout trying an open foot duckstance

Try to research Cheyne Horan - he designed single fin teardrop shapes
    i'm sorry, horan did WHAT now?

whose name is on the nose of that board?

70s-style single fins like the one the OP is talking about want to be trimmed more heavily off the front foot. this can be tough for most surfers who grew up in the modern era b/c today's standard thruster hpsb & it's variants need to be surfed more heavily off the back foot. often times, you need to take a "less is more" approach to surfing single fins.

less movement more chillin?
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i'm sorry, horan did WHAT now?

whose name is on the nose of that board?

70s-style single fins like the one the OP is talking about want to be trimmed more heavily off the front foot. this can be tough for most surfers who grew up in the modern era b/c today's standard thruster hpsb & it's variants need to be surfed more heavily off the back foot. often times, you need to take a "less is more" approach to surfing single fins.