LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by patgeds22 View Post
    less movement more chillin?
    bingo.

though, to be fully honest, more foot movement, less upper body movement. when i was riding that kind of board a lot, i found myself trimming & barrel riding from a more forward position on the board & then taking a step or so back to the tail to do any kind of hard turn, like a full cutback. it's actually a trait i've held onto & i think i makes my surfing smoother. in fact, when i feel like my surfing is starting to get spastic or flappy, i'll hop back on one for a session or 2.
    i don't think it's a coincidence that the guys we think of as having a timeless style-tom curren, lopez, etc...all grew up initially riding single fins of the type you're talking about.

How. To. Rip. A. Single. Fin. in 3:07 -
    http://vimeo.com/58138164

tight thanks

any advice adjusting to the mutant heavers in jerz tho and how to nail the drop?

any advice adjusting to the mutant heavers in jerz tho and how to nail the drop?
    paddle like hell & get in early.

Quote Originally Posted by kpd73 View Post
    How. To. Rip. A. Single. Fin. in 3:07 -
    http://vimeo.com/58138164
    alex knost is a little (a LOT) too hand-jivey for my taste. i prefer smooth stlye like tudor:

(technically, not a single fin, but you get the point...also, look up his surfing in One California Day & Sprout.)

one of the advantages of the tri-fin set-up is hold in the face whilst dropping; in this regard the single fin
    fails by comparison. simons idea works on different layers.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    alex knost is a little (a LOT) too hand-jivey for my taste. i prefer smooth stlye like tudor:

(technically, not a single fin, but you get the point...also, look up his surfing in One California Day & Sprout.)
    Thanks, I'm well versed in those 2 flicks. Dig Tudor And agreed somewhat on the Knost factor. Harrison Roach and Ellis Ericson do standout here though and the rest are technicians as well. Bonzers are a Whole different universe. And Hulls.
    Machado brings nice things to the table with his single fin work. And it's INsane to watch Busting Down the Door and see what thos guys were doing at that time. Shaun Tompson? Damn.
    Nice to see some kowledge and appreciation here. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by kpd73 View Post
    Nice to see some kowledge and appreciation here. Thanks man.
    can't really disagree though i would like to toss out a little dis-appreciation. a good surfer combined with
    a good wave can make a BAD SHAPE look good. the right fit for a single fin (hpsb context) is an expert
    surfer who CHOOSES to regress.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    can't really disagree though i would like to toss out a little dis-appreciation. a good surfer combined with
    a good wave can make a BAD SHAPE look good. the right fit for a single fin (hpsb context) is an expert
    surfer who CHOOSES to regress.
    what you call "regression" another calls "experimentation". a lot of good (in terms of design evolution & volume distribution) has come out of the much-maligned "fish revival/retro movement" of the late-90s & early-00s. a lot of the shapes that everyone froths over trace their lineage directly back to classic keel fish, eggs, & stubbies that were revived & refined during that period.