LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    People were tired of bogging down with Kellys equipment so they went to hybrids and alternative shapes like bonzers.
    <sigh> the bonzer predates the thruster by almost 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    <sigh> the bonzer predates the thruster by almost 10 years.
    sigh:-) I didn't mean they invented the hybrids and bonzers after the potato chip thrusters, just that they decided to give these other, higher volume shapes a whirl. Most lineups now are populated with a bigger mix of shapes than I have ever remembered. When I started, almost everyone surfed single fin shortboards, with a few logger thrown in, then everyone went twin fin, then thruster. All you would see out there were thrusters for years, except for the occasional logger. Then, BOOM! Every other board is a fun shape, or a fish, or a bonzerr, or a six fin vee tail, or a 13 foot log. Its cool.

I'm ready to try one out in chest to overhead juice.
    both boards i use the most now are quads and i can humbly tell you 'so far so good.'

sigh:-) I didn't mean they invented the hybrids and bonzers after the potato chip thrusters, just that they decided to give these other, higher volume shapes a whirl. Most lineups now are populated with a bigger mix of shapes than I have ever remembered. When I started, almost everyone surfed single fin shortboards, with a few logger thrown in, then everyone went twin fin, then thruster. All you would see out there were thrusters for years, except for the occasional logger. Then, BOOM! Every other board is a fun shape, or a fish, or a bonzerr, or a six fin vee tail, or a 13 foot log. Its cool.
    i guess i just get a little bristly when people categorize bonzers & alternative/hybrid/high volume shapes together w/out distinction. most times, you wouldn't even know someone is riding a bonzer unless you flip the board upside down.

i mean, does this look like a high volume hybrid?

I think that's the key to surfing a single fin. You don't try and fit all these turns and maneuvers into a wave, instead you do what the wave calls for. Every turn has a purpose. And I don't think that's regressing at all, in fact I think that's the opposite. Don't get me wrong, the pros and guys on tour can do what they do, because they are who they are, and make it look good and effective. The average surfer sees the pros and trys to surf like them. We aren't pros and we will probably never surf like them.

I surfed shortboards for years and my surfing never progressed much. I'd try and surf like my favorite surfers. When I got my first longboard my surfing took off. I learned how to take the more "zen" approach to a wave. This eventually lead to me getting a single fin shortboard and I love it. I developed my own style rather then trying to duplicate some pros style. Single fins saved my surfing

heard that bassmon, longboards saved my surfing. I wish I picked one up 10 years ago but I was too busy buying pro-model boards and trying to "air". Man, Hard to imagine all of the great waves I wasted.

When I ride a retro style single, something in the 7'0 range, I feel like I'm riding a lowrider Caddie. They're a total trip... but you have to change your whole mindset and approach.

Great 70's single fin riders: Terry Fitzgerald was my fave for the fast high trim and Shaun Tomson for his stinkbug front foot tube riding. Check out Shaun at the end of 5 Summer stories and Stormriders for the Sultan of Speed (T. Fitz) if you can. Great old stuff and radical for the day surfing on singles.

Great thread, having a single fin, thruster, and quad in the rotation has made me a better surfer, having only one (thruster) limited me for years but now I have the options and freedom to switch it up when I'm in the mood.