LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Didn't really care about beach replenishment until I moved back east. But now I own a home on an island, in the Atlantic, and if they need to pump sand and mess up the surf to keep the land intact, then so be it.
    Don't buy on the ocean if you can't handle the risk. Fact is most those areas shouldn't be developed anyway. Oh and was there beach replenishment before sandy hit? I think so. How did that work out? Now people are talking about offshore islands.

AGAIN....WE ARE DEBATING DIFFERENT ISSUE:

You can still protect property by doing beach replenishment CORRECTLY with correct sand grain and filling the beach correctly like they did in oc, maryland. So what exactly are the morons on this forum advocating? That surfers not stick together and voice our opinion during comment periods so that the army corps takes into account wave action when doing a replenishment project. I really dislike a lot of the people on this forum. You people make absolutely no sense. Just quit surfing. And obviously the question has to be asked why you expect the government to spend millions protecting oceanfront property. Don't build/buy there.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 12, 2014 at 05:41 PM.

Didn't really care about beach replenishment until I moved back east. But now I own a home on an island, in the Atlantic, and if they need to pump sand and mess up the surf to keep the land intact, then so be it.
    I wish that the Feds would stop subsidizing flood insurance. For that matter, I wished we truly lived in a free market economy; but that's a whole 'nother bag o' pertaters. If the Feds stopped subsidizing home owners insurance in flood zones, your insurance would be more than your mortgage payments. As it stands now, the ret of us are paying for others to live in places like Hilton Head or Padre (my folks have a place there and have for the last 30 odd years, so he without sin and all). But, how long will that continue? Sandy almost did away with federal flood insurance subsidies; but the can got kicked down the road due to political expediency. One of these days though the printing presses will stop, the gilded age of excess that the US has enjoyed since WWII will come to an end and the free market will take over again.
    Probably in our life time. Probably sooner than we all think.

I wonder how the next El Niņo cycle of Atlantic Hurricanes will affect all of this as well. Anybody know of a good insurance industry index short fund?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Don't buy on the ocean if you can't handle the risk. Fact is most those areas shouldn't be developed anyway. Oh and was there beach replenishment before sandy hit? I think so. How did that work out? Now people are talking about offshore islands.

AGAIN....WE ARE DEBATING DIFFERENT ISSUE:

You can still protect property by doing beach replenishment CORRECTLY with correct sand grain and filling the beach correctly like they did in oc, maryland. So what exactly are the morons on this forum advocating? That surfers not stick together and voice our opinion during comment periods so that the army corps takes into account wave action when doing a replenishment project. I really dislike a lot of the people on this forum. You people make absolutely no sense. Just quit surfing. And obviously the question has to be asked why you expect the government to spend millions protecting oceanfront property. Don't build/buy there.
    I feel what you are saying man. Im not trying to be debbie downer. I am just saying that no one cares. no one is going to listen. the Army Corps dont get paid to worry about surf breaks and how their job will affect recreation. They are paid to preserve the land. period. They could care less what happens to your surf break and they will not listen to you...

Surfrider can get 50 guys together all the time, and they can conjure up a million alternative solutions and give them advice on how they can be effective and still not hurt the surf. No one listens. It makes people feel better to talk about it. To try and make change. Im just telling you nobody but a few of us care. Your local politicians dont care. It would actually be borderline irresponsible for them to care about the surf. The ones making the decisions are like anyone invested in a publicly traded company. It is unethical for them to concern themselves with honest labor, and keeping jobs on american soil. They all have an oath to their shareholders to Maximize profitability at ALL TIMES. So no one at that Army Corp or at you local politicians office are paid to care about what we are discussing. The tax dollars and money that goes into all this is generated from the taxes and revenue within your state and community.

Im not saying that I dissagree with you. I am just saying this same conversation has been happening for decades and nothing has changed. Nothing probably will....

A million people have said. Dont buy along the coast unless you want to end up falling into the ocean. Thats just nonsense. The population density along all of our coastlines are pretty solid, so there are MILLIONS of people that rely on beach replenishments.... There are only a couple dozen that give a fu** about the surf. What it do... ya know?

I feel what you are saying man. Im not trying to be debbie downer. I am just saying that no one cares. no one is going to listen.

The population density along all of our coastlines are pretty solid, so there are MILLIONS of people that rely on beach replenishments.... There are only a couple dozen that give a fu** about the surf. What it do... ya know?
    Heard that zach619. Surfing is not the first community I've been part of that has a hard time realizing where we fall within the macrocosm of society. We aren't even a drop in the bucket of numbers on the census or tax dollars. Hell, there are many surfers that don't pay taxes and have absolved themselves of their SSN#. I don't like it any more than any of you do and the sight of a crane or dozer for dredging makes me ill like it does you.

What am I gonna do about it? Go hop on all the shin to knee high waves I can today in this 64 and sunny weather!!!!!!! Scored 25 mediocre rides in an hour last night at sunset. 25 rides bro are 25 rides. Shred em if ya got em. While supplies last...

FLY A BANNER FOR PROPER CONSUMPTION OF SINE WAVES AS THEY REACH SHORE BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT INFINITE IN TODAY'S SOCIETY

I am just saying that no one cares. no one is going to listen. the Army Corps dont get paid to worry about surf breaks and how their job will affect recreation. They are paid to preserve the land. period. They could care less what happens to your surf break and they will not listen to you...

Surfrider can get 50 guys together all the time, and they can conjure up a million alternative solutions and give them advice on how they can be effective and still not hurt the surf. No one listens.
    Oh you mean like ruggles right? No one should have said anything right? Clearly another example of people speaking out and them destroying the break anyway since so few people surf.....oh wait a minute....It worked! They saved the break. I've never heard such rubbish in my entire life. You sound like one of those people who tells people they shouldn't bother voting. You can't win every battle obviously, but you can win a lot. Plenty of people do care about surf contrary to what you're saying. There are surf shops on the east coast and plenty of people enjoy surfing/bodyboarding.

Zach619 speaks the truth. Besides most surfers don't own the big expensive at risk beach properties. so the community at large has no issues with beach replenishment.

Images
    Happened here in Pensacola around 2003, no sandbars and no surf for about 5 years, in those spots. Luckily they only dredged the residential waterfronts and left the national seashore alone.

Images
    I hear you man. Think globally, act locally dude. I just disagree with you. Yeah, they saved trestles too in San Diego... So? They also had MILLIONS of people petition for that. Millions. Ruggles was "saved" too. But that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. Neither of those places have ANYTHING to do with pumping sand. People *****ed when the poured concrete over sunset cliffs decades ago, but the damn cliffs were falling apart and the coastal road was going to fall in the ocean. When it comes down to it, the people are going to get their way. People on sunset cliffs bought their homes to watch the waves and the surf, but when their properties were in Jeopardy, they were all in agreement. We first, the Cliffs last.

And from all the surfline articles, ruggles wasnt that big a deal. Its sounds like the DOT was doing the right thing, simply trying to preserve the area... They didn't care how. So, the GLOBAL surfing community, not just the guys in Tee shirts in NE stepped in and simply explained an alternative way that didnt impact them financially. So the suits basically said, cool, we don't care about the details. It's not like the guys were trying to kill a surf break. Their intentions were good.

But the thousands of miles of sandy coast line along the east coast is a completely different thing. Every surfrider foundation in every town all up and down the coast trying to stop it every year. It ALWAYS fails. So unless you have some serious scientific evidence to prove a BETTER way for the entire east coast to keep from sliding into the ocean other than pumping sand... Please, stand up. Tell them... But let me guess, you don't have a better idea....

It would be different if you or anyone had a legit idea that was better. But they have tried it all. Taking sand from different areas so its a closer match to the sand on the beach, thus making it bla bla blah.... ALl that sh** is putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

So, if you want to stand up and fight. go for it. good luck to you. I hope you win. That would be great. But it sounds to me like you are all fired up and *****ing about something when you have no power to change it.

If you have the solution, we are all listening. Throw your ideas out on the table. Lets all talk about it. There are some intelligent people on this forum and we all want the same thing... If we can all agree that there is a better way, then lets do it. Start a movement.

But why are you going to organize against something that is a necessary evil if you don't have a better solution? If you have a way to have a positive impact on saving the receding coastline AND saving the surf... that will work, but like I said, no one cares if your Sand Bar is a little different. Its a fu**ing sand bar. Not a reef break in New England.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Zach619 speaks the truth. Besides most surfers don't own the big expensive at risk beach properties. so the community at large has no issues with beach replenishment.
    Thank you. I am not trying to be a villian here. I am just saying that people like us are nothing in the grand scheme of the coastal population. And simply saying "people shouldn't live that close" is ridiculous. Way too late. I am just saying, if you think 20 million people up and down the east coast give a sh** about your local sand bar not breaking as well, you are disillusion. You think the 8 million people in NYC give a sh** if new jerseys coastline is blocked by artificial islands. Hell no. If that ridiculous idea would work, they would pass that sh** with 99% approval rates. And it would be like that anywhere.

You can save a reef break, or a cliff or a state reserve, maybe. But like I said, no one cares that your sand bar isn't what it used to be. Because like I said, if they didn't preserve that coastline, you wouldn't have a beach to surf at all. There would be no local economy all up and down the east coast.

Its human nature and Darwinism. Humans will put their own interests, especially with regards to survival and money far ahead of recreation every single time....