LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    That looks more like it...

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    more the wider hpsb shape...
    What would you consider the extremity of width and thickness (per length) where a HPSB is no longer and now much more of a groveler, egg or fish? I know some of this is nose-related but let's say even a rounder nose had rocket and flip still.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    What would you consider the extremity of width and thickness (per length) where a HPSB is no longer and now much more of a groveler, egg or fish? I know some of this is nose-related but let's say even a rounder nose had rocket and flip still.
    A better way to think of it might be to figure about 20L of volume per 100 lbs of body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    A better way to think of it might be to figure about 20L of volume per 100 lbs of body weight.
    That's simple enough. So anything less than that is HPSB category and above is groveler, etc.?

bonzer jamboards 1.jpg

My 6'7 x 20.5 x 2.35 Campbell bros Bonzer pod5. Modified and taken off a CI Machado single fin template to add rocker, flip in nose and tail. Moonlight glassed and resin color, not spray.
    Waist plus to Double overhead and beyond. Just craves and LOVES the juice. Paddles like an 8'0. Surfs like a 6'0. Up and going you've never felt Drive going down the line like this. And you Don't lose speed in and out of tight turns. I'll repeat that because it bears repeating. You Don't lose speed coming in and out of tight turns. It's unreal.
    Another HUGE plus is being glued to the face on steep drops. The fin configuration drives water away and vacuums you to the wave. I've made Ridiculous drops on this thing. Total confidence inspiring in every facet of surfing and a Total Blast.
    Only draw back is it's not a small wave board. Can be ridden, just shouldn't be.
    This is the silent revolution. Good Energy to everyone here. Awesome thread.

that's a killer board, kpd. am i mistaken or is that red-x fin system for the side fins?

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    That's simple enough. So anything less than that is HPSB category and above is groveler, etc.?
    i feel like it has a lot to do w/ overall plan shape & the rocker, also.

Quote Originally Posted by kpd73 View Post
    bonzer jamboards 1.jpg

My 6'7 x 20.5 x 2.35 Campbell bros Bonzer pod5. Modified and taken off a CI Machado single fin template to add rocker, flip in nose and tail. Moonlight glassed and resin color, not spray.
    Waist plus to Double overhead and beyond. Just craves and LOVES the juice. Paddles like an 8'0. Surfs like a 6'0. Up and going you've never felt Drive going down the line like this. And you Don't lose speed in and out of tight turns. I'll repeat that because it bears repeating. You Don't lose speed coming in and out of tight turns. It's unreal.
    Another HUGE plus is being glued to the face on steep drops. The fin configuration drives water away and vacuums you to the wave. I've made Ridiculous drops on this thing. Total confidence inspiring in every facet of surfing and a Total Blast.
    Only draw back is it's not a small wave board. Can be ridden, just shouldn't be.
    This is the silent revolution. Good Energy to everyone here. Awesome thread.
    That's an interesting board. Seems too wide to be in the semi-gun category. Is that thickness on the thin side for a board of that length and width? For rails offering better performance I presume?

What I'm finding in my own riding is that I need entry rocker even for thicker and smaller boards. You guys here on this thread are a big help in learning more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    All my quiver is local, I guess. All from CA, but shaped by Micah Shannahan and George from plus one. Actually, I do have one Sharpe Eye Disco and I have a 7'2 hawaiian gun that I bought off craiglist for the swell of the decade. Used it about twice a year. Some years, not at all. In retrospect, I probably should have given that one to a friend out there before I moved. I can't imagine needing to dust that puppy off ever again.

But at any rate, I will wear my fire retardant wetsuit next time i'm up in the MD VA area. Just in case =)

And with that being said, can someone please tell me where to find a local shaper on Hilton Head? They don't even sell fins, resin or glass at any shops in this town, much less have a local shaper.

What to do? I guess I could continue to have Micah shape for me and ship it, but that will be costly even with his "bro deals". And he is an amazing shaper, I am sure he could accommodate me, but I don't know if he would be the guy to design a board for HHI when he has never been here.

But yeah, I literally don't know any shapers around here. I am sure there are some up in Charleston, but the waves in Folly are nothing like the waves down here. Similar, but I wouldn't consider that local. That is like living in OC MD and getting a board shaped in VB. Not really the same deal, ya know?

I guess I need to start my own shaping business. Micah was always cool about letting me tool around, watch and help while he shaped for me, so I understand the basics, but Have never crafted a board from start to finish... I really, REALLY want to though.
    john tolly is your shapper i can give you the contact info or show you some of the boards i have by him,

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    that's a killer board, kpd. am i mistaken or is that red-x fin system for the side fins?
    Thanks man and yeah it's Red-x. One bolt-No jolt. Travelling board.