LOGIN | REGISTER

Glassing a deck or fin patch

I've never glassed a deck or fin patch and I was wondering how to go about doing it. I was planning a build and want to do a new noserider. I was thinking of 3 layers of 4oz hex for the deck and 2 for the bottom. I've alway done cutlaps on the few boards I've made and been pretty pleased with the results, so I wanted to at least try to glass a deck patch on the board in addition to the 3 layers of 4. So here's my question, when do you laminate the deck patch on? Is the order:
    Bottom glass layers
    Cut laps
    Top glass
    Deck patch?

Or do you do it before you glass all the other layers? Every one I've ever looked at up close appears to have been cut over tape just like one would do the laps. How would you do that if you didn't do it before you did the bottom layers and under the laps?

Which leads me to my second set of questions? For a fin patch, is the patch above or below the full sheets? They always look they have cut edges too, I would think that you would have to glass that on after you did the two full sheets.

So many little tricks that separate a craftsman from a hobbyist.

Cut your fin and deck patches and lay them out first. Do your full layers over the patches. Unless... you're doing a tint, and don't want to see the patches... then tint your full sheets and lay your clear patches over as a separate step. Generally, patches are cut like under-layers of cloth... trimmed at the rail apex, and not lapped around the rail and cut like a cutlap.

BTW... three layers of 4oz hex and a patch? Sure... But I'd do double sixes and a patch... less hassle, and the difference in strength is negligible.

Images
    Let's see some progress picks along the way. I never shaped a board and don't know much about it, but I'm good with all kinds of dings.
    One thing is certain,.................................I like turtles.

Thanks LB, that's just what I was looking for.

Doug, I'll let you know how it turns out.