LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wrightsville Beach Surfing

So I got accepted to UNCW and it's almost time to choose where I'll be going to school, but first I need to know how much I'll actually be able to surf. How does that area compare to places further north like say NJ? I know obx is about 4 hours away but I'd appreciate any information on what the local breaks are like (how often, how good, crowds, etc.)

Also any general useful info on the school or Wilmington would be awesome, I'm trying to get a good perspective on what it will be like down there. Thanks.

Only surfed Wrightsville a few times but there are numerous breaks nearby. Solid surfing 10 months out of year. Wilmington a great college town. Big enough to have a lot going on, but small enough to avoid major city B.S.

You are thinking there or NJ? Just say that question out loud and you should have your answer. I would go anywhere other then NJ (except Cleveland).

Wrightsville beach for the most part is a pretty weak break with inconsistent sandbars. With that said there are other places to surf nearby that are much better that you will quickly find out about once you get there. Even though the shoreline near Wilmington faces ESE, you will be able to find breaks that can handle a NNE wind to breaks that can handle a SSW wind (so you will have a fairly decent wind window). Also, like you pointed out the OBX is a four hour ride which makes day trips manageable. To sum it up, if you don't plan on searching around all too much for waves you won't be scoring good days all that often, but put in the time and you will be rewarded.

The UNCW women do not hurt the situation either, sundresses everywhere.

waves are much weaker compared to NJ...they are very soft and you need a log to ride them

Images
    Occasionally a soft one like this will come your way....

wave1.jpg

move here if:

1. you want a worthless degree (no med school or engineering)
    2. you love crowds
    3. you want to be a waiter till 40 or make like no money in any career
    4. you suck at life in your town so you think life will be better by moving

love,

metard

metard what got you all talkative? That's more words than you've said in 100 posts bro

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    metard what got you all talkative? That's more words than you've said in 100 posts bro
    just helping out dog

No doubt son, good looks. You got lavish with the written word, not like you. Didn't know if something was up.

Hey, who's that tailgating me so closely, speeding around and cutting in front of me only to slam on brakes and pull into the next driveway?..... the piece of chitt with the UNCW stickers on their car.

Hey, what's up with this pack of 5 douchebags paddling out right on top of me when there's plenty of space for hundreds of yards to my North and South?..... those pieces of chitt who rolled up in a car with UNCW stickers on it.

Hey, who's that pr!ck that talks a lot of chitt in the lineup but needs 5 of their friends to get their back when someone calls them out?....... the little pu$$y with the UNCW hat on.

Hey, who the phvck is that moron at Mase who cut my buddy off repeatedly, turned into a little beech when I confronted him then asks for a ride back to Wrightsville on our boat a couple hours later?..... y'all get the picture.

surf05: You will be very welcome here as long as you don't act like every other self-entitled dormroom "local" who seem to be the majority of the UNCW student body.