Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    sounds like my new path is your road well-traveled. straight up, any tips?

just surf it a lot in all kind of conditions. don't write it off after one or two bad sessions.[/QUOTE
    funny u say that as things began to improve when i stopped switching back/forth...anyway thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Holy crap how can you take so much time to reply with these lengthy responses?
    lol. i guess cause our types need to talk to/at/with our types cause others not interested.

I like surfing a thruster when I`m looking to have three fins in the water. If I`m going for more of a 4 fin type of feel, then I no doubt go with the quad setup.

Images
    I used to surf a thruster but now I only own quads for some reason. I think there better for the close out waves here and air sections. I don't think there as good for snapping the lip thought, I feel on a thruster More power. Because of the less speed.

i had a wave ystdy on my quad - that which i'm still trying to figure out - nice 3ft left, difficult take-off
    cause i had to wait FOREVER for the goon on the shoulder to graciously let me have MY wave - but by the
    time i was able to pay attention i had pumped twice and then again when the stick took off - not unlike
    shifting gears into OD on a manual shift car;…it really WENT FAST. that i liked…..and want to do it again.

Yeah paulie you're heading in the right direction.

The fin configuration pictured below is working for me at a nice Costa Rica break -- nice combination of fast forward speed tracking and pivot turning. Started out with full-on Bonzer fin set-up but then started tweaking for the turning responsiveness for my style of riding. The rear runners are the smaller of the quad runner set. The board is 50 x 20.375.

I'll see how it works at a couple of my PR breaks this winter.
    Deck_stdg_h500.jpg

Sidebites-smbzrrunnrs-4.5in-B_w600.jpg

Sidebites-smbzrrunnrs-4.5in-C_w600.jpg

Images
    A bonzer paipo!?!? I had no clue...

IMO quads are good in good waves, and so is everything else. They definitely feel good when you can really surf the rails and push off your fins without sliding around too much, but quads can get tracky and do better when surfing more linear vs. up and down.

But really, im lazy and true quads (no center box) are nice because when routing future boxes I don't have to blow out my ear drums (or wear ear plugs) routing out the center box, or f*ck with getting stringer dust outta the pretty, brite-white foam.

I love my quad in the smaller stuff...tail slides and roundhouse cutbacks...closest thing to a carver. Absolutely dig the quad. Use this the majority of the summer. When wave gets a little oomph, I ride thrusters.

I would imagine a lot of top guys ride quads and even twinnies for fun in the small stuff. When it's contest times, waves are normally good since they have a window. They aren't riding gutless weak surf.