LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Isnt groundswell generally better than windswell? Like i kno what some of the differences are how ground comes from a low pressure and wind comes from wind. But what are others?

both are generated from wind. the difference is how far away the swell is produced and the time for organization.

It appears that the system has remained weak enough to stay on a more westerly track thus far.

There is now a much greater chance this system makes it quite a bit west of Bermuda than two days ago when it was largely forecasted to intensify making it more susceptible to upper level winds that would have steered it north into the central atlantic.

I'd still wait at least another three days before any excitement for even though it is clearly going to move much closer to the US coast than originally thought there is a lot of wind shear and dry air environment ahead of the system and it could be torn apart before it became a significant system far enough west to greatly impact our swell.

Stay tuned....

There's a lot of difference of opinion going on over Bertha's track. Weather Underground is already stating that PR/DR should possibly be getting ready for tropical storm conditions and that Bertha will be a threat to the East Coast (NC) in 10 days, and I read nothing of that on the National Hurricane Center's website. I guess people are being alarmist being that they are predicting strengthing on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettylife521 View Post
    Isnt groundswell generally better than windswell? Like i kno what some of the differences are how ground comes from a low pressure and wind comes from wind. But what are others?
    The difference between groundswell and windswell is the swell interval. Longer period swells are the result of an area of low pressure with a large area of fetch in our swell window. The bigger the storm, the stronger the winds, the longer and larger the period of swell. All groundswell starts out as windswell, the wave trains become organized and move in a predictable pattern.

Groundswell is much more organized than windswell and much more powerful. I had a better time in 1-2 foot at 15 sec like we had 3 weeks ago than our usual 3-5 feet at 7 sec. Sure, both are fun - but groundswell is a *definite* difference.
    Last edited by Spongah; Jul 5, 2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Grammar

CurtFlirt732 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongah View Post

. I had a better time in 1-2 foot at 15 sec like we had 3 weeks ago than our usual 3-5 feet at 7 sec. .

bull **** no where can handle 15sec intreval it would be almost all closeouts

Images
    Curt, I'm afraid you have not idea of what you're talking about. Long period swell is almost always more desirable then short period. Yes, a long period swell that is directed at a beach break straight on will tend to close out, assuming there are no sand bars. However, I would love to see a long period swell hit OC with a lot of North or south direction in it. Way more energy and much longer rides than any short period swell could possibly produce. If you need to see for yourself, go to any one of many web sites, look at historical data, and you will find that ALL of the world's best breaks are located in areas that receive mostly LONG PERIOD ground swell and NOT short period wind swell.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettylife521 View Post
    A lot of beaches in Delmarva can't handle a big long period swell and will close out. However when we get small to medium size long period swells, then there are spots that can handle.

Generally speaking, I think the ideal swell period for the Mid Atlantic is in the 9 to 12 second range.

Saying groundswell is better than windswell is not really a good statement. a 3ft @ 14 second swell will have a lot more energy than a 3ft @ 7 second swell. However a 9ft @ 7second swell can be great too!

The term ground swell was created, because the longer period swells are much more influenced by the ocean bathymetry (bottom contour/depths).

Quote Originally Posted by CurtFlirt732 View Post
    bull **** no where can handle 15sec intreval it would be almost all closeouts
    It was ONE to TWO feet ESE swell at 15 seconds, not 20 feet at 15 seconds. Go back and look at historic information on your local buoy, it was a Southern Hemi swell from about 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Spongah; Jul 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongah View Post
    It was ONE to TWO feet ESE swell at 15 seconds, not 20 feet at 15 seconds. Go back and look at historic information on your local buoy, it was a Southern Hemi swell from about 3 weeks ago.
    it happens.