LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    All we do is win the civil war was a tie.
    That's some quality English right yonder.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    sure the landscape is peppered with almost elite and the hobgoods are in that category. but honestly I can't think of anyone else. so... who else besides the hobgoods? corey lopez is not in the hobgoods category and the hobgoods are not in the slater category.... looks like out of the entire east coast we have one with arguably 3 guys from the millions of people on the east coast....
    I don't know where u folks started off with the categories,but I think the hobgoods deserve their spot.yea cj only one once,but they been on tour every year for the past 20 years.corey lopez,ehh,like I said I don't know the category but im guessing winners,corey did finish in the top 10 a few years and he was andy irons boy so that alone il put him in the category

Images
    dont be mad doug?i know the reason you pick on me is because you love me and the south. one day ill come to tha dirty jersey and teach you how to do a thing or two. like maybe even how to do a bottom turn? maybe how to pop up we need to get you off your knees for once.

What makes Kelly and CJ so impressive is not because they are from the south but that they are good despite that they are from the south. Historically east coast has very few successful pros.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    dont be mad doug?i know the reason you pick on me is because you love me and the south. one day ill come to tha dirty jersey and teach you how to do a thing or two. like maybe even how to do a bottom turn? maybe how to pop up we need to get you off your knees for once.
    Yeah, yeah. Slurp, slurp. Haha.
    Without that fresh farm animal jizz to facilitate my styling needs, I am mad.

Images
    Interesting thread...and I don't think this is just exclusive to surfing, but runs across the spectrum of athletics, and there could be endless socio-economic reasons behind it.

One theory I found interesting from a swim coach is that a lot of what we do athletically has to do with sensory and motor neurons. Well, what he proposed as this topic pertains to swimming is that when the epidermis is exposed more to the elements it is possible that motor and sensory neurons could become more sensitive and therefor, receptive to stimuli. When you think about it, the north (east or west) is wrapped up in layers of clothing for a much greater portion of the year, thus possibly limiting exposure to elements/stimuli and lessening the development or sensitivity of motor neurons, thereby possibly limiting or lessening the development of world class athletes. And as a disclaimer, his theory didn't just pertain to when the person is engaged in their activity/sport, he was talking about all the time (flip-flops v. sorel boots).

From a sociological standpoint, Boston, NYC, Phili, Seattle, might hold a significant population but they don't exactly have good, immediate access to "surfable" spots. I think the south (though the population centers might be smaller, and therefor perceptibly reduce the chances of a pro-surfer) probably has more easily accessible, beach side communities/cities such as Norfolk (close to VB) VB, actually the whole tidewater area, Miami, Jacksonville, San Diego, LA, which in turn would increase access) and therefor actually increasing the chances of pro-surfers. Also, I've lived on the coast now for 9 years, 3 in VA, and 6 in ME...I'd definitely say the beach is a lifestyle in VA and definitely not in ME, and would assume the same throughout the NE area as the water is much colder than once you go south of NYC.

Anyway, my ideas....

Your swim coach sounds like a nut case... Plenty of access to surfable in spots in the NE... Definitely has to do with the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by your pier View Post
    Interesting thread...and I don't think this is just exclusive to surfing, but runs across the spectrum of athletics, and there could be endless socio-economic reasons behind it.

One theory I found interesting from a swim coach is that a lot of what we do athletically has to do with sensory and motor neurons. Well, what he proposed as this topic pertains to swimming is that when the epidermis is exposed more to the elements it is possible that motor and sensory neurons could become more sensitive and therefor, receptive to stimuli. When you think about it, the north (east or west) is wrapped up in layers of clothing for a much greater portion of the year, thus possibly limiting exposure to elements/stimuli and lessening the development or sensitivity of motor neurons, thereby possibly limiting or lessening the development of world class athletes. And as a disclaimer, his theory didn't just pertain to when the person is engaged in their activity/sport, he was talking about all the time (flip-flops v. sorel boots).

From a sociological standpoint, Boston, NYC, Phili, Seattle, might hold a significant population but they don't exactly have good, immediate access to "surfable" spots. I think the south (though the population centers might be smaller, and therefor perceptibly reduce the chances of a pro-surfer) probably has more easily accessible, beach side communities/cities such as Norfolk (close to VB) VB, actually the whole tidewater area, Miami, Jacksonville, San Diego, LA, which in turn would increase access) and therefor actually increasing the chances of pro-surfers. Also, I've lived on the coast now for 9 years, 3 in VA, and 6 in ME...I'd definitely say the beach is a lifestyle in VA and definitely not in ME, and would assume the same throughout the NE area as the water is much colder than once you go south of NYC.

Anyway, my ideas....

Balaram Stack is from NY. Ian Walsh is originally from RI. NJ has a ton of up and coming surfers too. But whatever you do, don't come to jersey. The waters dirty, the waves are bad, and there's not too many pros so stay far far away. Nothing to see here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Your swim coach sounds like a nut case... Plenty of access to surfable in spots in the NE... Definitely has to do with the weather.
    It might sound a little wild, but it's not. And I wasn't talking about waves or quality of such either.

In professional sports, training the brain and diet are really the last frontiers being explored, and nueroplasticity is a relatively new science that is blasting off. This theory of more epidermal exposure to the elements (not shrink wrapped in neoprene in the water or wool when on land) for a greater amount of time during the year is not far removed from the science of nueroplasticity, and therefor for me carries some weight.

I've seen this in action and trained kids with it too through Ikkos (a technological upgrade to technique work) in the medium of swimming and it is amazing how fast the technology works. It all has to do with sensory/brain overload then sensory deprivation. If this works this well in 5 minutes, then I'd think that the greater exposure your skin (and therefor brain) has to a living environment (air/water) the more adept one becomes at managing stimuli and the faster motor neurons/brain can react when performing a sport.

Again, this may sound wild, but it really isn't.

or….how bout dis…..kid gets new stick, waits til summer, goes to beach, is told by lifeguards
    'surfing not allowed.'