LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Step-up advice

Images

Step-up advice

Looking to diversify, or add, to my quiver of 1 Santa Cruz 7'6" pumpkin seed for the (primarily) waters of Maine. This board has served me well over the past year, and I have found it to be versatile, but I think I'd like to get something for a little more speed and action...quicker bottom turns, faster trimming, etc

guidelines/suggestions? So far I've gotten to look for a fish, and the step up should be to a 6'8"...

a 6'8" rounded in is good, but how often do you have waves faces in the 7 foot plus range? I had a 6'8 in jersey and rode it about 4 times in 5 years, the rest was on 6'2-6'6 boards

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    a 6'8" rounded in is good, but how often do you have waves faces in the 7 foot plus range? I had a 6'8 in jersey and rode it about 4 times in 5 years, the rest was on 6'2-6'6 boards
    not very often...you suggest shorter? I'm not afraid of a challenge...

what do you weigh? if you are afraid of challenge, perhaps boogieboarding is your preferred method of waveriding?

Images
    5'10' 180...NOT afraid of a challenge!

i'm close to your size and surf the northeast mushburgers. i use my 6-1 Rusty Dwart for 90% of the waves. no rocker and tons of float (41L). its fat too so stable as a step down.

for him 6/4 firewire dominator if he wants hybrid or try one of their thrusters..

Images
    This is awesome guys, thank you!

1. a 6-8 is not a step up from a 7-6

2. if you want more speed and action...quicker bottom turns, faster trimming, etc a fish wont help.

3. borrow a 6-4 and try it out

I think what you're looking for or should be looking for is a more of intermediate skill level board not necessarily a "step up" especially for the east coast and/or summer time. I've got a true step up that I ride maybe 2 or 3 times a year max and I live at the beach. It's a rare, rare day that something 5'10 won't work. Look into something like a Lost V2 Stub, Firewire Potatonator or JS Dropped Swallow that will work for you in almost any condition.