LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Step-up advice

I'm a tad smaller than you and recently went from a 7'6 egg to a 6'2' x 20" lost black sheep. I think it's got around 38L of volume. Very good for catching anything waist high plus. I think the recommendations to go with a 6'4" make sense based on my experience. Get something with 20" or so of width. Makes the transition a bit easier.

im 6' and weigh 185. i have a 6'8 step up that i bought for a trip to indo. i rode it there a few times and ended up riding it here (NJ) on a couple big days, but that was more cuz i just wanted to ride the thing. i dont think a
    6'8 is really needed around here. i have a couple of 6'3" roundtail shortboards that can pretty much handle any swell here.

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    im 6' and weigh 185. i have a 6'8 step up that i bought for a trip to indo. i rode it there a few times and ended up riding it here (NJ) on a couple big days, but that was more cuz i just wanted to ride the thing. i dont think a
    6'8 is really needed around here. i have a couple of 6'3" roundtail shortboards that can pretty much handle any swell here.
    same here. no *real* need for most folks to have a proper step up around here. hell, i'm finding more & more that the 6'4" round tail that used to be my standard hpsb is now acting as my step up & only gets dusted off when it's properly OH &/or hollow, while my 5'10" formerly small wave board is my go to, daily driver.

i'm seeing a LOT of dramatically over-foamed people posting on this thread. 40+ liters @ 180-190lbs is excessive & crutch-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    same here. no *real* need for most folks to have a proper step up around here. hell, i'm finding more & more that the 6'4" round tail that used to be my standard hpsb is now acting as my step up & only gets dusted off when it's properly OH &/or hollow, while my 5'10" formerly small wave board is my go to, daily driver.

i'm seeing a LOT of dramatically over-foamed people posting on this thread. 40+ liters @ 180-190lbs is excessive & crutch-worthy.
    completely agree. my standard hpsb is one that i only ride a handful of times a year now. my former small to medium wave board is my go to up to head high, even a foot overhead. by the way, that knubster i bought off of you has made all the difference when it gets head high and up. just throw that in with the quad and it holds like crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    by the way, that knubster i bought off of you has made all the difference when it gets head high and up. just throw that in with the quad and it holds like crazy!!
    awesome! always stoked to hear stuff like this!

Quote Originally Posted by NICAfiend View Post
    I think what you're looking for or should be looking for is a more of intermediate skill level board not necessarily a "step up" especially for the east coast and/or summer time. I've got a true step up that I ride maybe 2 or 3 times a year max and I live at the beach. It's a rare, rare day that something 5'10 won't work. Look into something like a Lost V2 Stub, Firewire Potatonator or JS Dropped Swallow that will work for you in almost any condition.
    This is the best advice

WTF is "over-foamed"? I hate that expression. How can you ever be overfoamed? If I have too much foam, will I not be able to perform the most radical maneuvers, in the most critical part of the wave, for the longest period of time? That's how Kelly Slater defines pro-surfing in "Pipe Dreams". Is that all that there is? I understand that you can be underfoamed, I've paddled out on boards that sink up to my armpits way too many times; but "overfoamed"? "40+ liters @ 180-190lbs is excessive & crutch-worthy", c'mon man that's you looking down your nose at other people just cause of what they ride. How many years have you been surfing? 20+? 30+? Heck, from that perspective one could argue that at the 30-35L range that you and I surf at, we're "overfoamed". I mean, with that level of experience, shouldn't our guild factors be much lower than that?

My point is, who really cares what the other guy's on? What matters is how he or she rides it, right?

I weigh 194 this morning. If I take out a 7'2" x 22" x 3" single fin, am I "overfoamed"? What if I wanna ride a 6'2" x 22" x 3" shortboard with 40 odd Ls? Will I not be able to "push it to the max" because I have few more cubic inches or foam? I call bullsh!1. I have longboards that are "too small" that work fine; I have shortboards that are "too big" that work fine too. Last night I was riding a 6'6" x 20" x 2 3/4" board with a round tail that by all modern definitions is a "step-up" in 4-6' surf. I could have been riding my MegaMind just as easily, but guess what, I had a blast. I must have been doing a decent job too, cause when I got out of the water, I had some guy come up to me and say, "dude, you shredded the sh!1 out of that last wave. I don't think that you could have gotten anymore out of it. You did right by that wave. What kind of board is that?" to which I replied, "thanks man, it's a Coil." After about 5 minutes of Coil talk his wife started walking off without him and he had to run after her. Pretty funny.

All of these algorithims that predict what an individual's ideal volume range "should be" based on their weight, experience and fitness levels are just formulas. They might give some guy who has no clue what they should be riding as a general idea perhaps; but so what? It's a surfboard, you can either ride the sh!1 out of it, or you can't. Most guys can't, so what does it matter if they need a few more liters of foam as long as they're having a good time? A few liters or a 1/4" in either direction make more difference in your head (or my head for that matter, I'm a self-admitted board whore and love customs) than it really does in the water, I really believe that. If the board works for you, the numbers don't mean a damn thing. Dimensions, volume, guild factor they're all just numbers to give you or me a general idea of what we're looking for. That doesn't mean that they should be taken as cannon. I love numbers, I live in a world of discrete mathmatics. BUT

You don't ride the numbers, you ride the board.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Apr 29, 2014 at 01:30 AM.

So true mr. Gafff ... one of my favorite boards is a 5'10" x 21"x2.5" so much fun in the summer when most are stuck long boarding or trying to chop hop their way into the wave. Yourpier I sent you a pm buddy

the volume rating is not really a good measure considering the density isn't consistent across foam, let alone different production methods (Salomon s core, firewire, tuflite etc)

there should be buoyancy quantity of you want a true measure of float

i have 3 'step-ups'…dada, momma, and baby. i NEVER use them in new jersey; last time they came out of the
    garage was hurricane bill and even then i chose my short board.