LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuracy?

Hybrid View

Accuracy?

Hey. Just started back up on surfing again after a few years and stumbled across this site. How accurate are the forecasts? I live about 1 hour from the beach and need to kind of plan ahead (yeah, i know how dumb that sounds). I am also aware that the heights and conditions are also going to vary greatly by beach and break. Just wondering how accurate?

Thanks!

If you know where what swell and wind direction work the bouys wont fail you.

Are they good at predicting? For eaxample, they are predicting Friday to be good... usually accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by paperplate View Post
    Not true. Buoy's in RI sit nearly 100 miles offshore. It can be 5 feet at 8 seconds out there and flat at the beach as the swell degrades(Yes I know the difference between significant wave height and swell height and direction) If you've been doing this for anytime at all you know how unreliable buoys are here in RI. I've seen 10 feet at 10 seconds give nearly double overhead and other times it's chest high. I've seen 4 foot at 8 seconds be knee high or flat and another time it's chest high. Same break/same swell direction.

Buoys will fail you.
    Now if there was a buoy 1 mile off Narragansett coast that would be a very different story.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplate View Post
    Bouy's are my life when I'm not surfing. (I live 2 hours away from waves)

Images
    No one surfs here, we just come for the witty banter.

Predicting surf is like predicting weather. They go together like pb&j. The further out the forecast, the less the confidence.

buoys wont fail you if you know how to you use them, but if you are a clueless goon, then they will fail you

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    buoys wont fail you if you know how to you use them, but if you are a clueless goon, then they will fail you
    This is true. Theres a reason the buoy reports are there. Most that hunt for sharks should pay attention and know how to read them.

Of course it does take more knowledge than just what the buoys are reading. You have to consider the swell direction, the bottom contours of the beach you are hoping to surf, and so forth.

And tide along with many other variables