LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuracy?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplate View Post
    If you know where what swell and wind direction work the bouys wont fail you.
    Bouy's are my life when I'm not surfing. (I live 2 hours away from waves)

[QUOTE=shark-hunter;231983

You can NOT rely on a buoy in RI for great accuracy

if you find yourself suffering from the blasphemy of buoy befuddlement (i'm talking' the devices, not
    intermediates) use instead as your beacon SWELL DIRECTION. RI is sensitive to this issue…..

Bouys will not lie. With that being said the bouys are not what tells us if there's going to be waves. We have to take that information ourselves and come up with our own educated guess if there's waves or not. Like others said there are allot of variables to consider. My point is that no one is ever going to predict waves with 100% accuracy every time but if you use the bouys along with some other information like local knowledge you can be pretty damn accurate most of the time. The bouys are a great resource for us to use. There recording real time data, that won't fail you.

I don't know much about RI, but I know your full of crap shark hunter. There is a reason why some swells hold up and why some die out. I'm not from there so I don't know but there is some variable, and it's the locals job to figure it out. There have been threads about keeping a surf log before, this is where that comes in handy. And again, having local knowledge is just as important as the bouys. So I'm not surprised you have trouble with the bouys considering the little time you spend in the water. But don't try and steer someone away from a great resource for us wave riders just because you have trouble with it. That's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by BassMon View Post

I don't know much about RI, but I know your full of crap shark hunter. There is a reason why some swells hold up and why some die out. I'm not from there so I don't know but there is some variable, and it's the locals job to figure it out. There have been threads about keeping a surf log before, this is where that comes in handy. And again, having local knowledge is just as important as the bouys. So I'm not surprised you have trouble with the bouys considering the little time you spend in the water. But don't try and steer someone away from a great resource for us wave riders just because you have trouble with it. That's not right.
    God you're lack of knowledge is so sparse it's almost hilarious.
    Yes the variable is distance that buoy is from shore. Ok, go on the nws graphical forecast next time there's a swell and look at wave height and notice if you see a difference between 50 miles past block island and the immediate near shore waters off Rhody.
    WAVES LOSE WAVE HEIGHT AS THE MOVE AWAY FROM THEIR SOURCE! So it's possible that the 3 feet at 8 seconds that is hitting station 44097 will not hit ANY SURF BREAK IN RI. It will die before

I know EVERY SINGLE SURF SPOT IN RI. 8 seconds period swells do not refract into rocky reefs and increase in size like some long period stuff that we rarely get..... I know which spots are exposed to different swell directions

ADMIN, can you please advise people that just because a wind wave height even with a proper direction is showing up 100 miles off the coast does not mean it's hitting ANY spot in ri. They can degrade. It depends how far away and the period of the swell. Some swells will make it to Station 44097, but will die off before they hit ri. Swells lose size as they move across ocean especially short period stuff so common sense would dictate that 100 miles off the coast is different that what's happening at the beach!

Have fun with your rideable swell in the 10 miles inside area of the nj islands that are being built! Such smart people posting on this forum!
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 28, 2014 at 02:48 PM.

If you've been doing this for any length of time you know damn well the best and most consistent way to know what's going on other than driving right up to the break is a webcam/reports. PERIOD. I barely even check a buoy. It's limited in it's usefulness. It's too far offshore here. That station is meant for mariners. If you wanted to have a buoy for sure you put it a mile offshore. Not around 100

Your making my point (yet your calling me stupid). No one said that because the bouy says whatever at whatever second means there's going to be waves. Re read my post I said you have to take other variables into account. Like you just did. It sounds like your mad because you hadn't been in the water.

You know the bouys 100 miles out, so you just take that into consideration. RI gets waves, there is a reason why sometimes it does and a reason why it dosn't. You are still using the information from the bouy.

Quote Originally Posted by BassMon View Post
    Your making my point (yet your calling me stupid). No one said that because the bouy says whatever at whatever second means there's going to be waves. Re read my post I said you have to take other variables into account. Like you just did. It sounds like your mad because you hadn't been in the water.

You know the bouys 100 miles out, so you just take that into consideration. RI gets waves, there is a reason why sometimes it does and a reason why it dosn't. You are still using the information from the bouy.
    So you just agreed with me and admitted I was right! LOL But you don't like me to so you try to deflect and make your side of the argument different than it was.

THE ENTIRE ARGUMENT WAS THAT THE BUOY NEVER FAILS....IE NEVER....IE IT'S ALWAYS RIGHT. THAT'S THE ARGUMENT. HELLO!!!!!! THAT'S WHAT I TOOK ISSUE WITH.

I have imbeciles telling me, who know nothing about ri, that I have to find the right buoy. Should I pull all the quotes?

If you look at a bouy 100 miles out and think that just because it says 4-6 feet there's going to be waves, that's on you not the bouy. That's the point here. If nothing is going on out there then there probably isn't much going on at the beach. If there are some waves 100 out then with some knowledge you can predict if it will degrade or hold up. The bouy just gives us information. Information won't fail you if you know how to use it. Now I think I made my point enough times I'm bowing out

Well a bouy wouldn't say 4-6 feet but you get the point, if it's saying there waves out there

Quote Originally Posted by paperplate View Post
    Bouys won't lie. It is alot more than just the sig wave height and and swell height... oh and Mr left I think Friday will be bad you should not even consider it
    Damn, I was going to surf your break too....