LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy?

if you dont know how swell decays from your bouy to your spot you are doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Can't you use the Montauk Buoy for RI? I believe it gives a near shore (>25 miles ) and offshore (<25 miles) forecast from Maine to NY.
    I find it accurate for NY. Not sure if it is North of NY.
    Dont try to help him, or suggest anything. It just makes him angry that other people either try to help or just know more than he does. Then he tries his hardest to call you names over the internet forum.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Oh and it should be added steep waves(the stuff we get 90% of the time) decay rapidly over distance compared to a groundswell like bill.
    Man, you're dumb. 9.5@12.9 E is not going to decay to 6.7@7 E in that short distance.
    Today, the surf was way bigger than what was forecasted (I'm fine with that btw). My intention, as stated, was to help the accuracy of the forecast through the "spot on" feature that I can't get to work. That's it.

I have a very solid grasp on how the 44066 measurements translate to most beaches in this state regardless of the 75-100 mile distance from shore (that's not far in terms of swell). I live at the beach, and don't miss many swells, year-round, so it's easy for me to compare the buoy to the beach, and I verify the measurements with the shoreline religiously. I'm on it, like flies on sh!t. You're blindly barking up the wrong tree, SharkJizz.

I don't know who sh!t in your burrito SharkTard, but you're way spun out lately and you continue making a fool of yourself. Stop being a little Shunt or f~cking beat it.

Love, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Man, you're dumb. 9.5@12.9 E is not going to decay to 6.7@7 E in that short distance.
    Today, the surf was way bigger than what was forecasted (I'm fine with that btw).

I have a very solid grasp on how the 44066 measurements translate to most beaches in this state regardless of the 75-100 mile distance from shore (that's not far in terms of swell). I live at the beach, and don't miss many swells, year-round, so it's easy for me to compare the buoy to the beach, and I verify the measurements with the shoreline religiously.

I don't know who sh!t in your burrito SharkTard, but you're way spun out lately and you continue making a fool of yourself. Stop being a little Shunt or f~cking beat it.

Love, Doug
    LOL
    Man....you can't read. Did I quote you when I said short period swell decays quicker? Did I say that swell was short period? I'm perfectly familiar with the fact that 13 seconds is not short period. Stop trying to Bull****.

Every swell(even with same period/height) is different in how it will decay in the last 100 miles to shore. That's what makes it unpredictable. 3 feet at 8 seconds might be flat one swell or waist high another with same direction at same break. We are right back to where we started Einstein. If you had a little intelligence you'd undertand that. You're on my ignore list so no need to argue with me anymore. I really don't like me people on internet forums. I think I'm just going to post and then not read replies
    Last edited by shark-hunter; May 1, 2014 at 01:54 AM.

Images
    dude shark why you go to block people. come on man he was calling you out be a man and charge these threads like eddy. you show him whos boss. but dont be like hey man your blocked ;] thats just gay. you tell him your not even going to block him and let him sit in your spew.

Images
    Just to chime in here...

The forecast is what it says it is, a prediction.
    Buoys are real time measurements, so unless the instruments on the buoy are broken, it is true representation at that particular point in space and time.

When considering what the next day or days will be, of course, the forecasts are of value. When considering what the conditions are right now or how the predictions compare to what is happening now then the buoy measurements are of tremendous value. I always look at the buoy data, and specifically the Swellinfo station data map that gives you spatial representation of all the buoys without having to click around.

doug vs shark-hunter ..... dance off

post video

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Can't you use the Montauk Buoy for RI? I believe it gives a near shore (>25 miles ) and offshore (<25 miles) forecast from Maine to NY.
    I find it accurate for NY. Not sure if it is North of NY.
    Yes, you can. I have always used the montauk buoy along with the block island one to get a better idea of whats going on here in rhode island

Quote Originally Posted by SI_Admin View Post
    Just to chime in here...

it is true representation at that particular point in space and time.
    Exactly. 75-100 miles offshore is far different in many swells than what is happening at the beach.
    Just look at any wave height map. You can see swell degrading. A buoy is a tool. It would be a MUCH better tool if it sat 1 mile off the ri coast. It doesn't. It's in the middle of the ocean therefore on many swells it can be reading something completely different than at ANY break in RI 100 miles away. You can NOT simply rely on buoy data when deciding if there's swell and how big it will be. Marginal swells like 3 feet at 8 seconds can and do fall apart on certain swell events. Larger stuff can reduce in size on some swell events. That was my point and remains the same. Other than driving to the beach, nothing compares to a hd cam, followed by spotter reports, followed a distant 3rd buoys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke Lives View Post
    Yes, you can. I have always used the montauk buoy along with the block island one to get a better idea of whats going on here in rhode island
    You do realize how far from RI that is? It's just as far as station 44097. Montauk/far eastern LI is MUCH more swell exposed(swell doesn't have to travel as far) to many south swells than RI. RI is tucked in. Basic geography.