LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit27 View Post
    does anyone else remember when the term "grom" carried a level of humility?
    oh man! so many uppity groms now...was surfing w/ one (that i know well) the other day. he paddled around another guy for a wave & said, "i have priority!" i looked him in the eye & took off. paddling back out, i told him that he may have been in position, but he didn't have priority.
    same thing would've happened to me if i'd tried that as a grom. but i never did, b/c i knew my place.

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    Yea maybe Im a **** too because I rarely say anything to anyone. I will answer when spoken to but I keep it short and move away as fast as possible. I think it is because if we are close enough to speak without yelling we will eventually be paddling for the same wave and that is something that I would like to avoid.
    What really bothers me is when 2 women get out there and start gabbing away about a bunch of BS that no one cares about. Trust me nobody cares about your new curtains.

Manners have no age limit or minimum. I have had great vibes with kids, old farts (like me or even older, imagine that), aspiring pros, and cholos from Miami. I give everyone a smile and a nod, just to size them up, just to invite them to be cool. They have to earn my disrespect, but some do. It does backfire once in a while. At the Juno Pier, I was nice to some Miami kook, and all he did was try to be my best friend out in the lineup as he blew wave after wave after wave. People started wondering if I brought him with me. No good deed goes unpunished. When I get the stink eye I pretend he's my long lost buddy: "Hey Man. GOOD TO SEE YOU OUT HERE, WHEN IS HIGH TIDE, IS IT GETTING BETTER, WOW, LOOK AT THE CROWD". That really pisses them off.

Images
    It's Jersey, whadaya expect?

Images
    anybody from CB NC ever meet the older gentleman who surfs around the pipe? the guy's in his 70's, wears webbed gloves, and always introduces himself by name (which unfortunately, i cannot recall at the moment).
    he's cut from a different cloth in another time and managed to make me feel slightly ashamed of the wall i put up around myself in the water.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    anybody from CB NC ever meet the older gentleman who surfs around the pipe? the guy's in his 70's, wears webbed gloves, and always introduces himself by name (which unfortunately, i cannot recall at the moment).
    he's cut from a different cloth in another time and managed to make me feel slightly ashamed of the wall i put up around myself in the water.
    yea he's a real sweet soul. surfs up at cb pier some too. shame that I don't recall his name either.

I usually say hi, unless I'm feeling some bad vibes, maaaan. I'm not here to harsh any mellows, though some mellows do deserve a harshin'.

It's nice seeing the same faces out there, especially as I'm usually rolling solo... I agree that the older guys are much more amenable to salutations. Certainly more so than the Al-Merrick hipsters whose girlfriends came to take pictures of them from the beach.

I salute you old guys. Keeping things in perspective, surfing alone in the winter... in their 50's/60's. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

A lot of it has to do with the situation. I rarely say hi first but will chat if somebody else starts a convo. If, however, i'm out alone and the beach is empty and somebody paddles out where I am, they WILL get vibed from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipsmacker View Post
    Yea maybe Im a **** too because I rarely say anything to anyone. I will answer when spoken to but I keep it short and move away as fast as possible. I think it is because if we are close enough to speak without yelling we will eventually be paddling for the same wave and that is something that I would like to avoid.
    What really bothers me is when 2 women get out there and start gabbing away about a bunch of BS that no one cares about. Trust me nobody cares about your new curtains.
    word. im not out there to make friends. im trying to get my medicine before i gotta do real life stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    I'll nod and give a quick hi/howz it, but other than that i assume everybody else is a kook and just in my way.

If i see them shred or know them outside of the water, ill talk a bit more. But i dont really talk all that much to begin with. I guess my statement above applies for outta the water too....

And maybe im just a d!ck...
    yes. you are a giant d*ck. "if i see them shred..."
    SHREDDER BUD, YEAH!