LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    I'm a total nightmare in the water. One time, this lawyer-looking guy dropped in on me and dinged my board good. I paddled over to him and punched him in the face, then I took at my knife and cut his leash and told him to go back to the valley. Then me and my buds caught up to him at the shower and were giving him a good beating until the local surf guru showed up and kicked all our a$$es.
    I remember that

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,482
    Images
    5
    Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez
    I'm a total nightmare in the water. One time, this lawyer-looking guy dropped in on me and dinged my board good. I paddled over to him and punched him in the face, then I took at my knife and cut his leash and told him to go back to the valley. Then me and my buds caught up to him at the shower and were giving him a good beating until the local surf guru showed up and kicked all our a$$es.

    I remember that
    I was there that day. Those locals were all hot under collar, kinda how I get after eating too many red hot chilli peppers.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by CJsurf View Post
    Consider me guilty as charged. I rarely surf outside of walking distance or a short bicycle ride from my house. My town has a pretty tight nit local crew......the regulars all know one another. Even if we don't all like each other we know who's who. Unfortunately our town is a tourist trap most of the year and even in the off-season we are over run by crowds every time the waves are even remotely rideable. I'll be chatty with people I actually know in the water but if I don't know you I'm not going to have much to say. I'll be polite but don't expect much more. I'm there to get a few rides before going back to reality and if I don't recognize you I'm waiting for you to prove you are competent and not a danger to be around.
    OK. I'll give you a pass, I guess. If your town is overrun by dooshers at some point during the year and you live in some sort of surf paradise, I guess your behavior is somewhat acceptable.
    What I'm referring to is: Zero crowds in 45 degree water, paddle into the almost empty lineup, say hi to 2 young shredder buds, and nobody acknowledges the kind and simple greeting.
    K-N-I-T

  4. Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    i also try to be polite but this time of year a scourge,of sorts, shows up in the surf. its the "i've been here along
    and i'm still the sheriff" which of course they haven't been around at all and they should instead assume their
    lowly place at the back of the line which of course they don't and proceed to create more sparks in the line-up
    than there HAVE BEEN ALL WINTER! yeah these types can grate on me….
    We're practically neighbors. The scourge hits full force in the next few weeks. Can't wait. As soon as colleges get out we get a bunch of inland college kids who come down and either rent a place for the summer or crash in mommy and daddy's condo. They don't have summer jobs yet and want to act like they are locals who have been here forever. Good off season vibe goes completely down the drain by the third week of May. Every year a new batch.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Old Jersey
    Posts
    441
    Great thread.........

    My two cents.

    I say hi to everyone in the summer, not in the winter.

    In the winter everyone has hoods on and I feel like I am bothering people when they need to lift the side of their hood just to hear this idiot say hi to them.

    Also depends on the vibe when I paddle out.

  6. #46
    well.............................................. ..........
    The best example of this is when a "pro" surfer paddles out around here. There are so many different vibes they can take. Gna name drop Tom Petriken who takes the time to remember peoples names and is respectful and humble in the lineup even though they rip the balls out of every wave. They start conversation and are genuinely looking to enjoy some waves with some people. Keeps that mellow friendly vibe.

    And then..................... another way to play it is to be the cocky aggro local pro who in reality noone knows or cares about outside of your local spot anyway who paddles out on people who have been out for a few hours and burns EVERYONE nomatter their skill level or localness of that break. No names because that would be proper **** talking but the other day there was a great session going down me n some buddies and then a "local pro" comes out and burns literally everyone and had the attitude "**** all of you i have a sticker you are dirt im shooting for my instagram clip!" Ruined the vibe of the session and someone could have been seriously hurt with a nice fin to the head when ur in the barrel and the guy stuffs my buddy and a bunch of other guys out there. Saw him burn a kid twice in 5 minutes doesnt hesitate at all. Literally never been so vibed out and buzzkilled and infuriated when i see a guy airdrop on to a guy who was riding the wave already for a few seconds. its one thing to say na my wave before the takeoff but to airdrop the quad thru someones back is completely out of line. I will not support those guys and their brands or anything about them they are doing negative advertizing to the people that see them in the lineup regularly in person and dont just know of them from a magazine picture. yea you are sick and i admire your surfing skills but you are an asshole and alot of people secretly hate you and plot against you but suck your **** because you have a sticker. Its all fun and games untill one of those pricks seriously injures someone.

    in the end of the day who will the people like better and support, the guy who has a few photos but burns everyone to the point of hurting people or the respectful humble ripper who is friendly to everyone and picks off the best waves anyway because of their superior wave skills. Glad I rarely frequent the fancy standout spots around here because even though the waves are really good sometimes you often leave pissed off and unsatisfied. 2 post tuesday on swellinfo ttyl

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ethernet
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by xJohnnyUtahx View Post
    I remember that
    HA! such a good screename for that answer. I am generally quiet and then if people talk, I talk. Typically, no matter where you are barring a straight up tourist trap of a surf spot, new faces get a cold shoulder

  8. Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    OK. I'll give you a pass, I guess. If your town is overrun by dooshers at some point during the year and you live in some sort of surf paradise, I guess your behavior is somewhat acceptable.
    What I'm referring to is: Zero crowds in 45 degree water, paddle into the almost empty lineup, say hi to 2 young shredder buds, and nobody acknowledges the kind and simple greeting.
    K-N-I-T
    Where I live we can have 35* water and the best spots will have 20 plus people battling. Of the 20 even in the dead of winter perhaps 5 live locally. I blame it on the 5 surf cameras covering one mile of the surf zone and modern forecasting. People drive from an hour and a half inland to surf my home town in the dead of winter because they know when its on. Heck they can even watch one of the best breaks in town live on their smartphone thanks to surfline.

    I surf these spots because its where I live. I wish people would get an imagination, look around and spread the heck out. It's not that there are no other breaks around, its just that the stretch of beach near my house has the cameras. Also I think surfers like to flock up like sheep for some reason.

    I could go to the next town north on the same day or the beaches at the other end of my town and its just as good and nobody is out. But why should I have to. Its bizarre.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    anybody from CB NC ever meet the older gentleman who surfs around the pipe? the guy's in his 70's, wears webbed gloves, and always introduces himself by name (which unfortunately, i cannot recall at the moment).
    he's cut from a different cloth in another time and managed to make me feel slightly ashamed of the wall i put up around myself in the water.
    Steve!
    http://www.swellinfo.com/video/cb-drop

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,289
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by wontonwonton View Post
    well.............................................. ..........
    The best example of this is when a "pro" surfer paddles out around here. There are so many different vibes they can take. Gna name drop Tom Petriken who takes the time to remember peoples names and is respectful and humble in the lineup even though they rip the balls out of every wave. They start conversation and are genuinely looking to enjoy some waves with some people. Keeps that mellow friendly vibe.

    And then..................... another way to play it is to be the cocky aggro local pro who in reality noone knows or cares about outside of your local spot anyway who paddles out on people who have been out for a few hours and burns EVERYONE nomatter their skill level or localness of that break. No names because that would be proper **** talking but the other day there was a great session going down me n some buddies and then a "local pro" comes out and burns literally everyone and had the attitude "**** all of you i have a sticker you are dirt im shooting for my instagram clip!" Ruined the vibe of the session and someone could have been seriously hurt with a nice fin to the head when ur in the barrel and the guy stuffs my buddy and a bunch of other guys out there. Saw him burn a kid twice in 5 minutes doesnt hesitate at all. Literally never been so vibed out and buzzkilled and infuriated when i see a guy airdrop on to a guy who was riding the wave already for a few seconds. its one thing to say na my wave before the takeoff but to airdrop the quad thru someones back is completely out of line. I will not support those guys and their brands or anything about them they are doing negative advertizing to the people that see them in the lineup regularly in person and dont just know of them from a magazine picture. yea you are sick and i admire your surfing skills but you are an asshole and alot of people secretly hate you and plot against you but suck your **** because you have a sticker. Its all fun and games untill one of those pricks seriously injures someone.

    in the end of the day who will the people like better and support, the guy who has a few photos but burns everyone to the point of hurting people or the respectful humble ripper who is friendly to everyone and picks off the best waves anyway because of their superior wave skills. Glad I rarely frequent the fancy standout spots around here because even though the waves are really good sometimes you often leave pissed off and unsatisfied. 2 post tuesday on swellinfo ttyl
    What ever your do, don't buy Volcom. I surfed with and personally knew quite a few of their CA team riders. COMPLETE d-bags. I mean, with a captial D. I was out at a bar talking to them and within 3 minutes, it almost turned into a brawl. My genious friend threw me under the buss and basically made me out to be kelly slater and 10 seconds later, they are all flashing their socks at me and their hats talking about, "you know why we are all wearing this stuff from head to toe? Cause we get PAID to surf. Where are you from? Montana? Ohh, Maryland? Is there even a beach in Maryland... There aren't any waves out there bro. Good thing you came out here to surf with the big boys. I won the NSSAs twice in high school bro!"

    I am telling you, I have never met a crew of low lives quite like that. It was d-baggery. I mean, while that was going on, the other guy is over hitting on my buddies girlfriend. It was nuts... From that day forward, I had a personal competition with those guys every time were were out. As much as I hate the one guy, he does show up in surfer mag spreads about once a year. Bastard.