LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New surf racks

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke Lives View Post
    ok so a few things, as someone who sells racks for a living, its commonplace for new rack owners to misunderstand the concept of aerodynamics
    a rack-professional could be this forums' gift 2me…..are you located anywhere near so jersey? do you
    offer as a product 'outside the cap' truck/ladder racks??

Quote Originally Posted by natkitchen View Post
    I figured you would appreciate the situation.
    Hey metard
    Boards inside>boards outside?? What if you get in an accident? Headless metard? May not be such a bad thing......

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    a rack-professional could be this forums' gift 2me…..are you located anywhere near so jersey? do you
    offer as a product 'outside the cap' truck/ladder racks??
    Unfortunately not, I am in new england, however both yakima and thule offer solutions that will mount on caps. If you are looking for something that will mount to the bed and surround the cap, then the brands I am with may not have your answer... I would have to look into it.

thanks your reply; my cap already has racks (surf), but thinking of something capable of hauling large canoe,
    lumber, multiple sups…and mount to the bed and surround the cap is how i want to do it. any idea appreciated
    and thanks again your info.

even more important, did you put the fins foward or the nose?

no, no, no you guys are giving him horrible advice. Straps are lame and factory racks never really cut it. What you need is a drill with a 1/2" bit and go ahead and drill a few holes through your board. You will want to pre-drill these to keep vibration to a minimum. Then throw the board up there and mark on the car roof where you will drill to install the lag bolts. As this will be exposed to the elements I recommend none less than 316 Stainless Steel. Be sure to use a galvanic isolation kit where those dissimilar metals meet (unless you drive a Delorian). Ok, here comes the most important part, the vehicle must be moving during the installation to compensate for the dynamics that will be happening on the highway. You will need someone big and strong, like your wife (haha sorry) to climb up there and hold the board down during all of the wind force. You will need to be in the inside of the car with socket wrench ready to secure the nuts to the bottoms of the lag bolts while your wife cranks down from above. I recommend like 100ft/lbs, use a calibrated torque wrench, or course. I guess this leaves your eldest child to do the driving. If 70 mph is your target speed, go ahead and tell them to do 140 or so during the installation to leave a little safety factor. Good luck, and report back with your results.
    Last edited by leethestud; Apr 30, 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Images
    ^hahaha that's classic right there

Quote Originally Posted by StuckontheGulf View Post
    even more important, did you put the fins foward or the nose?
    is this a philosophic question; i mean, why always nose first?

Quote Originally Posted by natkitchen View Post
    Metard, so nice to get to know you. I had about 30 minutes to decide how I was taking my board, plus the wife, our three kids, and the regular beach stuff. So I went in the garage and got my unopened (not really new) surf racks and threw them on top. The luggage rack on top doesn't really have any straps and I am sure I coulda hooked up some bungee cords and duct tape (I am a Texan after all) but that didnt seem so smart. I really wanted to surf and not loose my board on the highway. They rattled like crazy. Like really bad. I would check it and it was still tight. So thats the story. I wasn't very popular with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    You're breeding...?
    This is f*ckin hilarious... two words, so much laughter. His skills are becoming sniper-like at this point.