Dharma Bums -Kerouac
    Borstal Boy -Behan
    The Master and Margarita -Bulgakov

Nonfiction:
    Ghost Soldiers -Hampton Sides
    Belfast Diary -John Conroy
    Endurance -Alfred Lansing
    Blue Highways - William Least Heat Moon
    Travels with Charley -John Steinbeck (again)
    A Walk Across America - Peter Jenkins

and tons more obviously that I can't even think of off the top of my head!... I also have been crushing a ton of page turners over the years by great authors of various genres. Some of my favorites lately have been: Stieg Larsson's trilogy of books about Lisbeth Salander.. Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro series.. Alan Monaghan's trilogoly about WWI/Ireland/the Irish Revolution &Civil War.. Ian Rankin's Rebus novels.. Robert Crais' Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series.. Stephen King's take your pick.. Kem Nunn's surf noir themed books!.. John Connolly's Charlie Parker detective series. He's kind of three quarters Dennis Lehane with a mix dollop of Stephen King thrown in. Stir, boil and read.. John Burdett's crazy wild graffic/macabre/ buddhist themed books about Royal Thai Detective Sonchai Jitlecheep's struggle to maintain his positive karmic balance while solving murders in Bangkok.. Elmore Leonard has a lot of quality reads.. and finally Adrian McKinty has and interesting detective series set in Belfast in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by MY SAVIOR View Post
    You guys are all wasting your time reading the garbage you call books. PM me with your addy and I will send you a copy of THE BOOK..........FREE!
    Adding book burning to your pathetic little existence, eh Goebbels?

Or did you merely discover that you had more 'success' with the kiddies by offering up candy & empty promises of free surfboards than offering them one of the signs of intelligent life on the planet aka a book.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I think most people on here would enjoy "Lightning Bird: The Story of One Man's Journey into Africa's Past" by Lyall Watson. It's a really interesting, true-adventure book that's easily on par with "Into the Wild" or "Into Thin Air" by Kraukauer. It's about a man named Adrian Boshier who's family moved from England to South Africa when he was 14. He had always been fascinated with Africa and once they arrived he ran away from home with nothing but a bag of salt and the clothes on his back. He spent the rest of his life in the bush amongst the Masai and Zulu. This was in the 1950's. He was an epileptic and suffered from gran mal seizures too; which apparently along with his abilities as a fearless snake charmer, identified him amongst the bush tribes as a shaman. They gave him the name, Lighting Bird. He was also instrumental in helping the Leakys form a lot of their theories on early hominid bone tool use, by linking tools that were still being used with those that the Leakys were finding in pit cairns. Awesome book.
    that sounds interesting

as well as 48 laws of power

Images

Skip "Kook" by Peter Heller. Bought it at the airport as I need a book for the plane and it was about surfing. It has a very weak story line and
    vague environmental references about a guy from CO mastering surfing in 6 months with a team of coaches.

A book about Teddy Roosevelt in the Amazon was next to it and I wish I'd grabbed it instead.

Yeah I read that too and was a bit disappointed as well even though I wasn't exactly expecting it blow me away in the first place.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TropicStormTrash View Post
    The Blood Meridian. Anything and everything by Cormac McCarthy
    +1 on Blood Meridian. That book is amazing.

and this..
    Quote Originally Posted by Scbe View Post
    Skip "Kook" by Peter Heller. Bought it at the airport as I need a book for the plane and it was about surfing. It has a very weak story line and
    vague environmental references about a guy from CO mastering surfing in 6 months with a team of coaches.
    Man, when the pro coach flew in to help the guy out I knew I didn't care much for this book
    Last edited by mitchell; May 2, 2014 at 02:29 AM.