LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    398
    I think I agree with zach. I'll be honest, I hadn't really experimented with tail shapes. Iv ridden many diffrent tails but each on very diffrent boards so I hadn't gotten to much experience. Not like fins were you can use them on the same board and really get a feel for the difference. I do notice though that all my boards with round/rounded pin tails are the boards I feel comfortable in most conditions in.

    Like I said I don't have much experience in experimenting with diffrent tails but that's my observation.

  2. #12
    So would a round tail still have decent hold in flatter faced waves or no?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash Slinging Slasher View Post
    So would a round tail still have decent hold in flatter faced waves or no?
    I think it's the sport utility vehicle of tails. It works in all conditions and holds well. It holds in the small mush, and its also the go to shape (more rounded pin) for big wave boards.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I think it's the sport utility vehicle of tails. It works in all conditions and holds well. It holds in the small mush, and its also the go to shape (more rounded pin) for big wave boards.
    seems like its good enough for john john...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,578
    I think switching out tail shapes on any given board is kinda bogus. To get the most out of any tail shape, you have to make adjustments in other areas. For example... taking the exact same template and cutting a swallow out of a square won't maximize the advantages of the swallow design. There will be a difference in how they ride, but it would take full advantage of the swallow. It all has to do with the rail line and planing area from the widepoint back...

    Anyway... I prefer a round tail for good surf, meaning chest high and better. Just feels looser and smoother to me, with good hold in steep sections. Rode squashes for years, but now prefer round. In smaller surf, I like wider tails with straighter rail lines, so swallows, bats, etc. are better for me on boards for weaker or smaller surf. This excludes mini simmons-type boards, which are a whole other animal. On logs I like square tails.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I think switching out tail shapes on any given board is kinda bogus. To get the most out of any tail shape, you have to make adjustments in other areas. For example... taking the exact same template and cutting a swallow out of a square won't maximize the advantages of the swallow design. There will be a difference in how they ride, but it would take full advantage of the swallow. It all has to do with the rail line and planing area from the widepoint back...

    Anyway... I prefer a round tail for good surf, meaning chest high and better. Just feels looser and smoother to me, with good hold in steep sections. Rode squashes for years, but now prefer round. In smaller surf, I like wider tails with straighter rail lines, so swallows, bats, etc. are better for me on boards for weaker or smaller surf. This excludes mini simmons-type boards, which are a whole other animal. On logs I like square tails.
    Yeah, I still have a lot of squashes. I prefered them at one point, but my theory was wrong. I had assumed that with the squared off tail shape, during the hard turning of the board, I thought it would produce more "spray", more of a knife like effect than with a round tail. I found this not to be true. For whatever reason, at least for me, looking at photos of videos of my on the round tails on similar board, I find the lines left in the water from the tail to be more broad and powerful... Not sure if there is any technical truth to that. Maybe the round tail keep the tail engaged in the water a little long, where a squash pops out because of the acute angle. Dunno. Maybe its all in my head. But if you look at my quiver, you would probably be like, WTF? cause I have about 8 boards that are almost identical. Same shape, same dims, same shaper. All in the 5'11-6'1 range. The only differences are the tail shapes. A couple have glassed fins. Most of them are useless to me now, but for many years on the west coast, I had my board selection down to a science, where that 5'11 round tail just wasn't going to cut it, so I would move up to the 6'0 squash... Again, maybe it was all in my head, but it worked for me....

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,622
    I like swallow tails for vertical surfing in good surf, and for making sections in mushy waves. They seem to hold good during quick sharp turns. They also make the tail a bit wider for speed and lift in mushy sections. On my new hplb I am shaping, the tail is a rounded pin more suited for down the line, flowing turns and big figure 8 cutbacks. I haven't tried the diamond tail yet but it seems like a versatile shape. And I like big butts and I can not lie.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,500
    i think it was matt biolos who said there are essentially 3 tails shapes-pin/rounded pin, swallow, & squash/square. anything else is a gimmick.

    i've personally found myself gravitating more toward swallows over the last year b/c i think they combine the best attributes of squashes & rounded pins: the pivot well in a tight radius turn & hold in a steep face well also. that said, if it's properly hollow, i'll still take a rounded pin over anything else. never really jived too well w/ a squash tail.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    2,210
    Is that why he puts those weird, little wing things on the V2/Stealth boards?

    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i think it was matt biolos who said there are essentially 3 tails shapes-pin/rounded pin, swallow, & squash/square. anything else is a gimmick. <br /><br />i've personally found myself gravitating more toward swallows over the last year b/c i think they combine the best attributes of squashes & rounded pins: the pivot well in a tight radius turn & hold in a steep face well also. that said, if it's properly hollow, i'll still take a rounded pin over anything else. never really jived too well w/ a squash tail.


    Oh man, do you remember when Biolos and Daniel Thomson got into it? The comment that you're quoting is what instigated it. That was a fun fight before all the vested parties deleted it from their twitter feeds and redacted it from the interwebbies. It's so funny how cliquey surfing really is. I especially liked it when DT got into it with Manny, claiming that Manny was biting his style. Manny's older than me and has been shaping since DT was in diapers. I surfed with Manny a lot when I lived in the same hood as him and I've met DT once and everytime I think of that whole diatribe, an image of Tijuana midget wrestling comes to mind. Mad respect for both of them though. They're both just kind of Mark Richardsesque in stature.

    As far as Biolis goes, I've seen that guy in the water at Lowers and his surfing doesn't hold a candle to either Thomson or Caro's; so he can say what he wants; but the two better surfers and in my opinion, shapers' designs seem to speak otherwise. Doesn't matter what I think though, all I ride are Degree 33 funboards. Roundtails of course.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 2, 2014 at 06:30 PM.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Manny's older than me and has been shaping since DT was in diapers.
    Manny is an amazing shaper, totally underrated. Right up there with Lis, Christenson and Pavel. I wish I had one of his shapes.