LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Manny is an amazing shaper, totally underrated. Right up there with Lis, Christenson and Pavel. I wish I had one of his shapes.
    Unknown maybe at least outside of certain circles, but I don't think he's underrated. You can't touch his boards used for less than 4-5 bills these days, new if you go directly to JP or Manny you're looking at 8 hundo and last I checked, about a 4 month wait.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Is that why he puts those weird, little wing things on the V2/Stealth boards?
    HA! i don't claim understand his reasoning on that score.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Oh man, do you remember when Biolos and Daniel Thomson got into it? ...I especially liked it when DT got into it with Manny, claiming that Manny was biting his style.
    oh yea! that was ****ing classic...the whole thing was ridiculous, but really jumped the shark when tomo went after manny...just, why drag him into it like that? he's on a whole different trip. & it's not like anything is truly original in surfboard design...everyone's borrowing from everyone else at this point. tomo might be a great surfer, but he seems like kind of a ****ty person.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post

i've personally found myself gravitating more toward swallows over the last year b/c i think they combine the best attributes of squashes & rounded pins: the pivot well in a tight radius turn & hold in a steep face well also. that said, if it's properly hollow, i'll still take a rounded pin over anything else. never really jived too well w/ a squash tail.
    my swallow tailed quad has shockingly good hold in (quite) vertical faces.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    killer. shallow swallow or deep?
    (jeeze...no gay code)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    I've found swallow tails to have a great deal of hold in steep faces and it makes sense to me that they would: you essentially have one or two pin tails dragging in the face of the wave, the rail line near the tail isn't very curvy on a lot of swallow tails, and the planning area of a deep swallow tail is greatly reduced over a squash. It looks like it would bite into a steep face on the drop, and in my experience it does.

To me, the mushier and softer the wave is, the more the swallow tail seems to hinder your attempt to get the board up and planning. Everything else equal, a fat round or fat squash tail in small mushy waves over a swallow.
    Last edited by mitchell; May 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM.

(jeeze...no gay code)
    Austin Powers: "Who are you today, baby?"
    Girl: "Ha ha. My name is Robin Swallows."
    Austin Powers: "Swallows. That's an interesting name."
    Girl: "Maiden name's Spitz."
    Austin Powers: "Well, which is it, baby, Spitz or Swallows?"

Again, I apologize. I have contributed nothing of value to this thread.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I'd have to say, based on aesthetics alone, it's the swallow tail. Nothing like a good piece of split tail.
    I'm with this. High performance all the way.

(jeeze...no gay code)
    the fish is fine but its not for me. i'll call it a deep non-fish type.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I'm with this. High performance all the way.
    Ye breh, I give her a tain!!! A tain!!!!

Tail shape is all about the redistribution of volume, planing surface, and rail line leading into the tail. Swallow tails are able to reduce planing surface while maintaining tail width under your back foot, and maintaining a longer rail line. That is, IF you are trying to take full advantage of the swallow design. If you look at some swallowtail boards (not fish tails) they're basically a square/squash, or even round tail, with a notch cut out. The rail line does not change. All that does is reduce planing surface and volume behind your back foot. So the same amount of pressure you put on your back foot results in deeper penetration of the tail, and that feeling of better hold and "bite." Other swallowtail boards have wider tails and straighter rail lines, which conserves volume and promotes down the line speed, especially in smaller surf, but because wide tails are harder to put on a rail, the swallow's reduced planing surface minimizes that "skipping stone" effect that wide tails can give, allowing deeper penetration and forgiveness when going rail to rail.

I've played with all kinds of tail shapes, and the worst, by far, is the wide groveler type board, with tons of curve from the wide point back, and a mini swallow. Just bad design....