LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paddling Inlets

Images

Paddling Inlets

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke Lives View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which inlet are you looking to cross? might get some better info on how it works
    Exactly!!! Now were talking.. How about the one at the end of Cupsouge State Park.. The closer I've gotten to the jetty the shallower the water and more powerfull current... That wave break fast and steep right on shore. I've always wanted to paddle out to the other side of the jetty thinking maybe a point is hidding somewhere..

But. Im not trying to dodge boats or swim with the big fish either...

It's important to get local knowledge. I was visiting and surfing in Panama City Beach at St. Andrews State Park by the jetty, and I asked the crew why no one paddled across the inlet to Shell Island, which looked to me like a better wave. They all said I would get sucked out to sea and don't try it. Glad I asked first.

Quote Originally Posted by dbiz135 View Post
    Exactly!!! Now were talking.. How about the one at the end of Cupsouge State Park.. The closer I've gotten to the jetty the shallower the water and more powerfull current... That wave break fast and steep right on shore. I've always wanted to paddle out to the other side of the jetty thinking maybe a point is hidding somewhere..

But. Im not trying to dodge boats or swim with the big fish either...
    I've surfed Cupsouge, such a beautiful wave!! so deceptive from the beach, it was much bigger when I got out there. I didn't get close enough to the Jetty to take a look at the inlet, found an uninhabited bar before I had to walk all the ways down.

I can't be specific about any inlets. I guess then, suffice it to say that I am interested in crossing every inlet on LI over the course of my life. I have seen a bunch of them in person and they look massive.

If I i ever do try and cross, I will coordinate something with a friend on a ski or kayak or something. I'm not sure if paddling across an inlet would be a practical time saver around here so the act would be more about the adrenaline and saying I did it more than anything else.

I have never heard of anyone crossing inlets around here, and I know one buddy who got swept out to sea during the change in tides at Jones Inlet. I'm pretty sketched by it, especially the boats most of all.