LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fin Foiling Fun

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Sweet. gnome, take a page from this shaper's book of excellence
    You appear to be trolling for a critique of the red fin.

so... the chord ratio is too low and the foil looks to have a huge flat area which drastically reduces performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    ...the foil looks to have a huge flat area which drastically reduces performance.
    I can't tell without feeling it or seeing a cross section. Aesthetically, though, I think she's a beauty... especially on that yellow bottom.

3. Finally got back to work on this project yesterday. Got everything sanded out. Ready for pinlines and gloss coat. I'll get some good pictures and post once its complete.

PS. I can assure everyone that the fin is properly foiled.
    Last edited by CJsurf; May 19, 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJsurf View Post
    Finally got back to work on this project yesterday. Got everything sanded out. Ready for pinlines and gloss coat. I'll get some good pictures and post once its complete.

PS. I can assure everyone that the fin is properly foiled.

You did say that it's 'perfect'.

Anyway the cross section can be seen at the base, and the thickness and chord ratio can be estimated via the same method and the number of layers used.

5. Had I taken a picture of the fin dry you would have clearly seen the foiling in the layers of cloth.......I wet it with soapy water so I could capture what it would look like glassed and glossed on a board.

Quote Originally Posted by CJsurf View Post
    Had I taken a picture of the fin dry you would have clearly seen the foiling in the layers of cloth.......I wet it with soapy water so I could capture what it would look like glassed and glossed on a board.
    More pictures?

7. I posted all I've got for now. The board is glassed and sanded. I've got to do the pin lines and gloss coat. Then I will be taking pics. I'll wrap this board up sometime in the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    which drastically reduces performance.
    well if anyone would know about making something with reduced performance, it'd be you Roy!!! lol. I think the fin looks well within suitable shape for a longboard/funboard. its not like that board is ment to be slashing and gashing up and down the face. Just a straight shooter, down the line runner like your boards, Roy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    well if anyone would know about making something with reduced performance, it'd be you Roy!!! lol. I think the fin looks well within suitable shape for a longboard/funboard. its not like that board is ment to be slashing and gashing up and down the face. Just a straight shooter, down the line runner like your boards, Roy.
    And boom goes the dynamite.

10. Putting the finishing touches on this build.