LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: massachusetts

massachusetts

Someone please explain this phenomenon.

Check out Ylvis version of the official state song "Massachusets". That will 'splain it. (I am a tech dummie or I'd post it here).

Spicoli I sincerely apologize, I now realize that it's a cultural thing.

I think that if I had lived in the NE in the 1620's, I would have moved/been relocated to Rhode Island

Are we really that much of a shock to everyone?

I still don't get it. Seems like everywhere else everyone walks on eggshells.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Spicoli I sincerely apologize, I now realize that it's a cultural thing.

I think that if I had lived in the NE in the 1620's, I would have moved/been relocated to Rhode Island
    Gaff, we are all either or both victims of our hereditary/geographical milieu or an amazing byproduct of it. If you think Rhodey is any safe haven from our various maladies, they're no bargain themselves. At least we will tell you what we really think and not pull punches, in fact throw punches in your defense if you're in our crowd, and we are a hell of a companion to drink a beer with.

The 1620's in Mass was like the Gold Rush except they were grabbing up quasi-fertile land instead of precious metals. It was a schitt show. Many towns were discovered then discarded in a year or two only to be rediscovered by the next arriving group which eventually settled, founded and incorporated the towns and cities that exist today. Actually bro, you'd have been super stoked if you arrived in the 20's of that century because the only places that had any inhabitancy that decade were largely coastal and home to the non-monumental EMass surf breaks that exist today!

Rhodey didn't really get up and running for another 10-20 years when Roger Williams got booted out of Mass and set up shop all around the best surf spots the state has to offer. Perhaps you could've beat him to it and named the area after a virile part of the whale's anatomy this time around.

Yah but what explains the way you guys drive? The roundabouts or rotaries or whatever you call those things....?

Images
    I will say that I've had horrible experiences driving in Mass, and did the whole driving around Boston thing for like three hours(seperate occassions).

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I will say that I've had horrible experiences driving in Mass, and did the whole driving around Boston thing for like three hours(seperate occassions).
    Ditto! ...........

Roundabout is a UK term as far as I know. That's what my braddah there called it when he was whipping us around it the right or wrong way on some 4-cyl glorified golf cart. We call it a rotary in Mass and turnpike is also a synonymous term depending on the aspects of the intersection. They are a thing of beauty when people know and abide by the rules that the traffic already in the rotary has right of way, everyone should use blinkers, and all entering traffic should treat the entry point as a merging yield and not a stop sign. When people stop you get this anarchist pandemonium of a cluster eff.

For anyone that's spent fair time driving in the Greater Boston urban sprawl, your driving is likely on point albeit slightly to highly aggressive. Nothing wrong with driving strong if you're a skilled driver and are always aware of your surroundings. Everyone else that's been sheltered in WMass or CMass or some coastal or rustic nook they never leave is nearly as bad as a Maine driver. However, nothing is as bad as a Maine driver except a female Maine driver. They are never speeding but instead traveling 10-25mph below the speed limit and give you the eery sense that they're a slow moving vat of nitro ready to detonate at any time if you get close to them...and they're always in the "fast" lane of a two-way highway.

Bro, you want a messed up vehicular state when it comes to layout and engineering? Jerz. Let's forgo any sort of interaction between opposite traveling lanes and use this ingenious concept of a "turnaround" (use Dr. Evil hand quotations here) at every third street light so that the outlandish social convention of the left turn is non-existent in any way.

I don't dislike much about Texas but those cats aren't even aware that the automobile has these pesky contraptions known as "directionals" (yup...Dr. Evil hands again). They're steadfast in their straightaway travel in whatever lane they're in like they was a kook of the month on a 9'6 firing straight to the beach when the rest of the bulk flow of traffic is trying to go down the line.

I'm not gonna say we are without fault. Hardly. We are marvelous misfits of humanity. However, we are adept at survival and do not impinge on that of others. Many other lands and tribes are highly to the contrary for all types of reasons, you name it. Why does the nation love to say they hate us when it's a blatant lie? You cherish films depicting characters native to our state, root for our countless championship teams, put us on the cover of Sports Illustrated , and the list goes on. You savor us.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Bro, it takes eleventeen minutes to get from one end to the other. This is not Houston here. If you don't know that it's legal to turn left on red on a one-way street going left then you screwed yourself out of an hour right there. Take the duck boat next time and you'll have both a chauffeur and a narrator for the ride. You want three hours? Check all three main extensions of RI breaks one by one (77, Newport, Gansett) and all of a sudden the tide has changed in polarity. How bout we built a bridge or some other novel through way to solve that epidemic?

seldom, next time you try to navigate a moving object make sure you're not laying on your stomach if it's got a motor. Tough to see the road when you're pushing the pedals with your hands. Sorry braddah, had to!! Especially since I put someone on ignore and you know that's in good fun.