LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

So... Should I buy a longboard or not?

So I'm a teenager, and of course as a teenager I ride a shortboard (5'9 and 6'0). I surf at Assateague Island (near OCMD). Assateague is known to be a "longboarders heaven" but it's also very fun for shortboarders. I'm low on money... But surfing is my passion. Should I just stick to shortboarding?

If you want one, first rent or try out a friend's. Then save your money and buy a used one. If surfing 's your passion, learn to ride different sizes and types of boards. IMO, it helps make one a more complete surfer. With the surf conditions we have on the east coast, a long board is a good option to have.

Q,q.qqq? And qqq ?
    Last edited by GreenFlash35; May 10, 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

longboarding at assateague could mean the difference of surfing (that day) or doing
    something else.

yes. single fin pin of course. there is not much better than getting toes over on overhead surf.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    longboarding at assateague could mean the difference of surfing (that day) or doing
    something else.
    this. as an east coast surfer, you need to make peace w/ the longboard if you want to surf as much as possible. but like desxx said, try a friend's (or 2) out before you plunk down your cash for one. even used, they ain't cheap, but they're worth it & they last (if built well)...my log is the 2nd oldest board in my quiver & the oldest that actually gets ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by obxjams View Post
    yes. single fin pin of course. there is not much better than getting toes over on overhead surf.
    praise the fsm & pass the ammunition! a true believer!

take this guy's advice, hawk. thruster set ups don't belong on longboards.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    praise the fsm & pass the ammunition! a true believer!

take this guy's advice, hawk. thruster set ups don't belong on longboards.
    I have had more fun on thruster LBs than single fins. I guess cause I have not dabbled much in the LB realm, but I like the fact that you can throw your weight around and really get a shortboard style turn in that way. The single fins never respond that way, I can't seem to really slam a turn in, it seems like I have to delay a bit and its much more of a balancing act....

I know single fin riding is like an art form, but I feel like I can still use some of my shortboard antics on the thruster LBs.

This entire statement probably makes me a longboard blesphemist or something, but hey...

Ohh and to the OP, yeah brother. Get one. Even all the "cool kids" in California, who were sponsered and have 645 shortboards all secretly have a few LBs. I have caught all of them at one point or another hiding down on sunset cliffs. As I paddle out, I point at them and say "HA! I KNEW IT!!!"

LBs are the tits sometimes.

Images
    I will never forget the first time I road a longboard. It was down in Baja, when my room-mate, who had a couple LBs from Wrightville Beach said, he bro, I know you aren't a longboard guy, but why don't you give this a try....

For the next hour, I was out there just chillin. Having a blast. When I came back in, I said "All these time, and I never knew you guys were cheating. If I had known how easy these things are, I would have bought one years ago" Changed my perspective of the LB and surfing in general for ever....

Not saying LBing is easy by any means, but if you are an experienced shortboarder and you try one of those puppies on for size, its like having a motorcycle with training wheels.... Incredible...

There are a lot of days during the summer when riding tiny stupid waves is the only option. A longboard at Assateague will let you have a little more fun on those days. Probably 20-30 days a summer when the LB is it. A mini simmons type board works well when its a little bigger, but not when its tiny.

If you need to be out those days you'll need a log.

That said, on big days, the LB helps you get into the wave early, make the big drop and go go go. Really fast, and really fun in a way you just can't get with a shorter board.
    Last edited by sharknado; May 10, 2014 at 04:48 PM.