LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    dude longboards are amazing and turn a small session into a great time,who wants to dog it out on a shortboard? plus they are awesome in huge surf if you can do it... you can also catch so big waves from futher out and ride a part of the wave that cant be done on a short board.

As post one said try em! I appreciate the style of guys who do rock them. How do ya get there? Try try and try again, just like ya did on the shorty. Ya already know how to wack it. now learn how to feel the vibe and be one on a big stick.
    I learned on one like most people. Maybe a compromise may be some thing in between or not. Ya never know till ya try sum stuff. Be open about it and find a good guy in your area to help ya figure it out. Enjoy the ride!

They work best in really small, clean waves; the kelp in the background of the video is a big help. Riding them and making it look good can be really rewarding and takes just as much practice and skills as shortboarding. It's just a very different way of riding a surf board. It's a lot of fun when you feel the tail lock into the curl, and you take a few steps and all of a sudden you're staring out over your toes and all you see is water in front of you. Watch their feet and remember not to shuffle yours. There's a reason you cross-step and Dora was called da'Cat. Practice on a 2 x 4 if you've got china girl feet or a 2x6 if you'r floatin boats. I'd turn off the sound for this one:

Also, be prepared to drop some coin.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    They work best in really small, clean waves; the kelp in the background of the video is a big help. Riding them and making it look good can be really rewarding and takes just as much practice and skills as shortboarding. It's just a very different way of riding a surf board. It's a lot of fun when you feel the tail lock into the curl, and you take a few steps and all of a sudden you're staring out over your toes and all you see is water in front of you. Watch their feet and remember not to shuffle yours. There's a reason you cross-step and Dora was called da'Cat. Practice on a 2 x 4 if you've got china girl feet or a 2x6 if you'r floatin boats. I'd turn off the sound for this one:
    Enjoyed that. Thanks, as well as for the 2x4 tip.
    The boards appeared to have very little, if any, nose rocker. Is that a characteristic of this type of long board?

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    The boards appeared to have very little, if any, nose rocker. Is that a characteristic of this type of long board?
    Not much rocker, a deep concave nose, kind of a roll to the bottom past that, 50/50 rails and a with a wide point closer to the single fin than the nose. Classic Noserider. But I'm no expert, I just ride em. LB or NJSurfer42 could say for sure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    YES... you should get a longboard. And a fish... when you can afford one.

Like 42 said, a longboard has a longer lifespan than a shortboard, so think if it as a long term investment in your surfing.

I broke away from the shortboard-only mentality about 20 years ago, after learning to surf on the first "shortboards" of the shortboard revolution from the late 60's/early 70's. Single finned shortboards first, then twins, then quads and other multi-finned boards, and finally thrusters. Only ever rode longboards on small summer days when I borrowed one from somebody. Added a couple longboards (a classic log and a HPLB) to my quiver around '95, and they've been a part of it ever since. I consider them a must have here in NJ, and consider it a big mistake not having one all along.

Today one of the greatest things about my surfing life is having the ability to fully appreciate every type of board design, and have the ability to make choices based on conditions (and mental state!) to get the most out of every session.
    There is also the 5 fin set up, that I think I might try... If you don't already know, its a quad with a bump fin in the middle. It might be pretty cool!

I think when the time comes, or when the price comes, I'll buy one. Or, my Uncle will pass one down to me if I'm lucky!

Get a softtop. Thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Its a reverse rocker. The rocker is set closer to the tail, so as when you are noseriding it locks into the curl and creates a lift in the nose.

And to the op, like others have said yes get a longboard. Please dont let it be another godforsaken "high performance longboard", if you're gonna do it do it right. (Sorry to everybody else whom ive offended, im a longboard snob).

Not gonna lie, after catching a handful of rides (nothing spectacular but still rides) tonight on the 7'6 in pure gutlessness, I realize that I'd rather be on some sort of log this summer and being projected down the line rather than scratching for schitt in aggro fashion on a groveler. Yes, I chastised the LB but have always recognized its value. Gonna keep my eye open for a deal on the classifieds.