LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who Scored Today

Today was a nice gift. Conflicting reports of wind, waves, and weather. I woke up early to check the cams, and there was nothing but thick fog for over an hour. Went back to bed, got up later and started doing errands.

I peep the cam again, and wow, there are some decent little lines coming through, and the wind has held off a bit. Begin kicking myself for not going early.

Ate a piece of fruit and ran out of the house. Arrived at the super secret break to find consistent waist high windswell, fun, but choppy. Stayed out a couple of hours, and the onshore picked up, but it started breaking better with the tide.

Thunderstorm rolls in, and everyone is long gone. I took one in, thinking I'd leave too. Storm stays just onshore, and the wind goes strong offshore! I paddle back out, and it turns to grey-orange glass, and the sun comes out. It's good to be alive.

Here's a pic that doesn't do it justice (snapped it before paddling back out). If you know this super secret spot, keep it to yourself.

Hope everyone scores some surprise fun this weekend.

Images
    I had a fun knee-waist grovel sesh today. It was clean, the water was clean, and there were dolphins. It was a beautiful day with sun and clouds but no rain here. I think the water may have reached 50 degrees too.

Images
    got some, yes...but it was way more choppy up here with no lines - BUT - a few did come through here and there (although they'd jack up and mush out). but still, first time out in a week and a half, so not complaining with the 2 decent rides i got in an hour or so....

spot between v-land and sunset was chest to overhead and glassy till about 10am, trunks, turtles and bikinis. You asked, I normally dont brag

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    spot between v-land and sunset was chest to overhead and glassy till about 10am, trunks, turtles and bikinis. You asked, I normally dont brag
    I know I have it good, but the Maui Waui is always greener on the other side. I've surfed just where you're talking about too, fun spot, long paddle to the sand, wish I was there. Cold water is making my knee ache. South swell should start cookin soon, which really lights up my neck of the woods, all relative though. Aren't you closer to Town?

I hate you MIS. I should move to Ku'aui. What's the water temp "over there" these days?

As far as today goes: nada, nicht.
    But I've had a couple surprise sessions in the past few weeks when everything said flat. Even web cams didn't show anything promising. So I head to the beach anyway for what figured to be a paddle session, and surprise!...glassy with thigh high sets and an occasional waist high rolling in. I was able to take advantage of maybe a 1 1/2 hour window of opportunity until the incoming tide got on it. Thigh to waist high may not sound like much, but with this continuing flat spell, I'll take what I can get.

I surfed through that storm as well. 2nd time in my life I've watched from my board as a front passed over head. Witnessed pretty much every type of rain Forrest Gump describes, and watched the wind completely turn 180.

There was a 30 minute offshore window, not even enough time to change into a suit and get into the water. But i was already in the lineup, and with no one else around, my buddy and I were laughing like lunatics.
    Last edited by kickmee6; May 11, 2014 at 04:36 AM.

zagaffer, sorry homes, I wont ever post a session report again. I will answer your question and be done with it..water is pushing 78-80? refreshing at first and then perfect. it took me 12 minutes to drive to said spot from my abode. I am the luckiest guy I know who has to work for a living

glad others scored too!
    Last edited by MakeItStop; May 11, 2014 at 06:22 AM.

Slashdog, is that really you or did you have guests over this evening and someone jumped on your comp and posted on your behalf? Because this the OP was not your brand at all and reeks of the typical Facebook hijacking I see from some buds. Maybe it was you talking about the day as a gift and the piece of fruit and skipping out of the house. I'm all for it bro, I like positivity, just had 0% aggro in that post so I call shenanigans knowing your usual steeze. Thanks for caring though bro.

As for my day, it was similar to yours. Planned to charge late morning but the report was up and down like an EKG and period waned to 5s til the afternoon. Hit the break about 5 and stayed out for an hour or so. Got maybe 8 rides on the 7'6 (gotta ride that more) and honestly, it was a productive session because I was focused on pumping to get through to the next section if it even had one. My best ride was probably the one where I squeezed out 10+ seconds on the most gutless knee-thigh (you like that descript spogner42?) wave ever, to the point where the next section was almost not even breaking but still got in it. Hadn't been on a wave in 14 days and this got me stoked but it was more like needing a drink and being served Johnny Black than Green or Gold. Still good.

Oh and thought of SI when I caught a ride and one of the two FOGs out there at the time says something and while I'm paddling back out I say "what was that?" just for clarification and he replies "how you doing?" I give him a "Good, thanks. You?" Appreciated him going out of his way from a 30 yard distance to hollar at me and instantly laughed because it epitomized the good part of that tread the other day bout the hollaring in the lineups.

No swell to speak or think of tomorrow but no prob because it's nearly pushing 70 right now and I'm gonna sleep on the living room couch with the door open listening to ankle-biters break like most summer nights. Get some rest then put in some QT with momma dukes and the sis for Mother's Day (shout out to all those MILF dimes - stay smoking) then host a wahine I socially networked with later on in the afternoon/evening because it's 75 and sunny tomorrow on this part of the EC. Even though I'm not sure if I believe that he really thinks so, Slashdog is right - it is good to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by kickmee6 View Post
    There was a 30 minute offshore window, not even enough time to change into a suit and get into the water.
    Broseffy, do you normally charge with bridal parties? 30 minutes to get in the wetty and into the drink? Give me a 7/6 to throw on January 3rd in 6F air and 39F water with 38mph onshores and I'm paddling within 8 minutes tops. That's if I'm dragging azz that day and didn't use one skip stride into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    As far as today goes: nada, nicht.
    But I've had a couple surprise sessions in the past few weeks when everything said flat. Even web cams didn't show anything promising. So I head to the beach anyway for what figured to be a paddle session, and surprise!...glassy with thigh high sets and an occasional waist high rolling in. I was able to take advantage of maybe a 1 1/2 hour window of opportunity until the incoming tide got on it. Thigh to waist high may not sound like much, but with this continuing flat spell, I'll take what I can get.
    Dose Ex - Heard that on all fronts. Spicoli used to charge every hour and lo and behold, sets would roll in. Problem is now (and I realized this today) that my standards for a wave worth charging have gone way up and 1-footers won't get me out there since I'd have no window for progression and pushing limits is what really stokes me. However, I do still subscribe to the "if you stay out there long enough you'll eventually find something" belief and need to hit the break more than I have in recent days when the radar says FLAT.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    Bro, no bragging assumed. Slash did ask and we were pleased to hear. Not jealous, but happy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Cold water is making my knee ache. South swell should start cookin soon, which really lights up my neck of the woods
    Gaff I know you meant that in jest as IB sits at a balmy 63F in the aqueous form. Wouldn't that make the knee feel better? Good for you if the swelling is gone because that's an issue in itself. When's that SS supposed to hit? I heard about it a week ago and already wishing I was headed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It was clean, the water was clean, and there were dolphins.
    You won't bring one of those dolphins home Dougie. You won't.

Quote Originally Posted by your pier View Post
    so not complaining with the 2 decent rides i got in an hour or so....
    What'd you think about for the remaining 59 minutes and 38 seconds? metard wants to know and is willing to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I had a fun knee-waist grovel sesh today. It was clean, the water was clean, and there were dolphins. It was a beautiful day with sun and clouds but no rain here. I think the water may have reached 50 degrees too.
    checked the cam then hit the pool. swimming doesn't seem to help much my surfing but it makes me less fat.