LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visiting San Diego

Im visiting San Diego for a few days in the end of June for orientation and was wondering what kind of gear ill need to bodyboard then. Also any help with where i should look for some slabs would be nice.

Images
    First you'll need some tire repairs kits for when your tires get slashed at evey spot you go to . Then you'll need medical insurance after some aggro SoCal dudes beat you or run you over on their boards. Then you'll need a 9mm for protection and a .45 if your trying to Zimmerman someone. Make sure to bring burritos to pay off the cholos and essays if they try to hassle you. Don't forget to bring a vans flat bill hat and a billabong shirt to show you mean business.

all bodyboarding jokes aside....

In June, SD waters could still be a little cool (maybe mid-to-high 60's), so depending on your tolerance, a 2mm top or light spring suit will fit the bill. Since you're looking for a "slab", I'm assuming that you already have swimfins and a lid.

Go to Marine Street in La Jolla, you'll be more than welcome there. There are a couple of slabs nearby that have the occasional bodyboarder or 3, but you may wind up at the end of the line when the sets come through.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    all bodyboarding jokes aside....

In June, SD waters could still be a little cool (maybe mid-to-high 60's), so depending on your tolerance, a 2mm top or light spring suit will fit the bill. Since you're looking for a "slab", I'm assuming that you already have swimfins and a lid.

Go to Marine Street in La Jolla, you'll be more than welcome there. There are a couple of slabs nearby that have the occasional bodyboarder or 3, but you may wind up at the end of the line when the sets come through.
    Yeah, that stretch of beach and a little north is your only chance for "slabs" and a non-threatening bodyboarding lineup situation. Sometimes. Other than that, drive up to the wedge for a day. It'll take you about an hour and a half. Not a slab, but plenty big and you will be welcomed there with open arms.

Images
    Stay Here they're great I wen't there a while back and its great. Right on Mission Bay and close to the beach:http://www.catamaranresort.com/

I'm assuming you're going to orientation for school? If so what school?

go north and go to salt creek. last time i was there it was 75% body boarders. it was heavy and grinding in about a foot of water. almost made me wanna bodyboard......almost

UCSD is the school and are people really that angry in California?

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder44 View Post
    UCSD is the school and are people really that angry in California?
    The "anger" is a bit overplayed on this site. Only trying to guide you in on the proper bodyboarding breaks....paddling a bodyboard into pretty much any California break with surfboards in the lineup is an invitation to get cut off on almost every wave (at best), and verbal barrages are common.

If you absolutely feel the need to paddle out at Blacks or So. Mission, I'd suggest finding a peak away from the pack. Otherwise, you might have better luck at LJ Shores or Scripps (and that's a pretty big "maybe").

Come to think of it, Imperial Beach (near the Mex border) is about the most sponger-friendly break next to Marine Street, and it has plenty of juice and is consistent. But again, the peaks that contain fiberglass and foam will not be very welcoming and your wave count will most likely be nil.

There is no way you will ever get a wave at the Cliffs.

Should I take up surfing then if I plan on spending 4 years there and want to ride waves regularly?