LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: skill vs stoke

Images
    I really don't see too much correlation between the two. The can exist together or separately so there really isn't and "vs" about it IMO.

Nevertheless, surfing stokeless, gutless waves is like batting practice to me. A good fun opportunity to stay loose and relatively sharp. When you finally do get some stoke inducing waves you'll be ready for them.

(This advice is for east coast specifically, I've never had the opportunity to continually surf quality waves and lose the stoke)

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    Um.......skill leads to stoke....it sucks to suck, whats better than a nice cutback or a long tube?
    umm dragging ur pecker through salt water on a pink sponge from kmart.kps bout to tittyphuk this wave

Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    I think once you are established as a decent surfer it just takes knowing the conditions and what to expect from them and you can still be just as stoked as that beginner hittin whitewater. Like Zach was saying how stoked he was on his lil barrel, conditions prob didnt lend themselves well to gettin anything of the sort so he was stoked on that lil bit of glory. Its all relative.

If i can side track a bit i personally hold STYLE above skill. I hate it when you see a dude stink buggin, hittin turns and what not, so he thinks hes a shredder but looks like a monkey f#*kin a football the whole time. Hone that flow, then work on other stuff.
    I completely agree with you. I'm more pumped now then I ever was. One of you guys said you come out of the water aggravated because the winds switch onshore. I paddled out the last two days knowing the winds were and were staying onshore. I came out of the water like Pat O'Connell in the endless summer 2 "that was the best wave of my life!". You just got to be realistic about what to expect to get out of the conditions.

And seriously, go out when it's onshore. Well atleast check it. It dosn't always have to be offshore to be good. Sure you won't get barreled, but theres plenty of room to do a bunch of turns.

I've been surfing for ever. I got it chest high and choppy with 4 second rides today for an hour. I had a blast. "He was a mongoloid, he was a mongoloid, he was happier than you or me".

Good discussion. I think the more skilled I get the more addicted I am to getting more waves and the more waves I get the more stoked I get. In theory, my skill level fuels my stoke level, but when I sucked and couldn't surf for jack, I was stoked as ever then too. I try to have fun no matter how good or bad I do, but when I have one of those sessions where it's just clicking and i'm in "the zone" I am on a real life natural high which overrides anything I already had in my system from earlier for sure. The after surf buzz has an intoxicating feeling that lasts days sometimes weeks if it's a special session. Just some thoughts on the two topics

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    umm dragging ur pecker through salt water on a pink sponge from kmart.kps bout to tittyphuk this wave
    You are more hammered than me.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    rich boy, lol I work for a living homes

*you're

blasters you type funnier sh!t than that, I am offended thats all you got

your sister still sore?
    dude....get a life

kk cptn bitter, 1/3 of your posts are just tooling on people for posting, ironic, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BassMon View Post
    I completely agree with you. I'm more pumped now then I ever was. One of you guys said you come out of the water aggravated because the winds switch onshore. I paddled out the last two days knowing the winds were and were staying onshore. I came out of the water like Pat O'Connell in the endless summer 2 "that was the best wave of my life!". You just got to be realistic about what to expect to get out of the conditions.

And seriously, go out when it's onshore. Well at least check it. It doesn't always have to be offshore to be good. Sure you won't get barreled, but there's plenty of room to do a bunch of turns.
    I do check it, it takes me a minute to get to the beach, but the wind is often the issue, especially by mid day...the scenario, I work at dawn, know the surf is good with off shore...get off early, hit the surf only to realize the impending doom...sea breeze, strong sea breeze...yep, I am really aggravated..."you should of been here a few hours ago."

That does suck. I'm the opposite, I go in around 11. I have so much time to surf in the morning. So many times when the winds supposed to be crappy all day, I score for a few hours early while the winds light. I can see how that would be frustrating though.