LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

More 3d printing fun... look now before the thread is binned.

For a fellow in Australia who wants bonzer fins for his Futures equipped longboard. We've tweaked these using MH32 foil. More variations to follow including different sizes and curved versions.

Images
    3d printing is so amazing. How do those fins hold up compared to normal FCS quality fins? Is the material as strong and reliable? The possibilities are endless with 3d printing I need to start using mine at school and make some different fins.

Quote Originally Posted by ocsurf32 View Post
    3d printing is so amazing. How do those fins hold up compared to normal FCS quality fins? Is the material as strong and reliable? The possibilities are endless with 3d printing I need to start using mine at school and make some different fins.
    The tensile strength of the high impact polycarbonate is lower than glass and resin, but is still more than strong enough. The foil is light years ahead of the fcs bonzer fins... there are so many possible variations which can be explored.

3D printing of polycarbonate requires some pretty advanced printers and techniques. A heated chamber for example, which ensures that there's no distortion and that the bond strength is high.

All these fins are individually strength tested and they come up trumps.

The tensile strength of the high impact polycarbonate is lower than glass and resin, but is still more than strong enough.
    It sells for $400, it better wipe my arse for me, too. And "more than strong enough" has got to be the most open-ended, ambiguous statement of the week. It's like someone claiming "40% less sugar!" 40% less than what, actually...?

The foil is light years ahead of the fcs bonzer fins... there are so many possible variations which can be explored.
    Of course it is. Beam me up, Scotty.

3D printing of polycarbonate requires some pretty advanced printers and techniques. A heated chamber for example, which ensures that there's no distortion and that the bond strength is high.
    Stating the obvious, and has nada to do with surfing.

All these fins are individually strength tested and they come up trumps.
    It's not official until Randy Rarick test drives this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

[I][B]It sells for $400, it better wipe my arse for me, too.
    Under $200 for a set of four... and get a bidet.

yea, 400 bux? little crazy. this tech is supposed to make things more accessible, not make it the hipster ipad version of a fin. I dont think it is as strong as a fin with layers of cloth in it. I'd go so far as to throw a Benjamin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post

yea, 400 bux? little crazy.
    Lol they haven't even been offered for sale yet, so I have no idea how the $400 idea got started.

Can someone clue me in on how a fin can be "printed"? I'm not currently informed as to the makeup of these products. How does a printer yield a physical fin with a box as shown in the first photo? Please provide me with the 3D Printed Fins for Kook Dummies explanation and it doesn't have to be long.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Can someone clue me in on how a fin can be "printed"? I'm not currently informed as to the makeup of these products. How does a printer yield a physical fin with a box as shown in the first photo? Please provide me with the 3D Printed Fins for Kook Dummies explanation and it doesn't have to be long.
    It bascialy forms it out of "strings" of plastic. Here is an article on it with pics:

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/26/how-doe...ng-technology/

Images
    Quick Tutorial courtesy of Wikipedia. Enjoy!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing