LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    3D printing allows a Computer Aided Design (CAD) drawing to be replicated into a 3-dimesional object by literally "printing" a substance, layer upon layer until the solid object is created. It differs from computer controlled milling machines, which can also create 3D objects from CAD drawings/files, but the milling machines do it by "subtracting" material (via carving, cutting, drilling, etc.).

3D printing is a hot technology right now.

its additive manufacturing vs subtractive. you are polymerizing beads or strings into a solid piece as opposed to starting with a solid block and cutting it down. less waste, in theory

they are doing it via laser sintering with powdered aluminum now, its far out, but needs to get fined tuned to make it affordable

Another problem has been the the weight of the objects that have been made by the printers due the limited plastics thus far. Industry for a while has used this process mainly to make prototypes just because of this reason.
    Supplier's and supplies have been limited by a few companies, which is keeping the cost on the high side. Don't worry in a few years more plastic manufacturing companies will be using this process once the price can come down.

Images
    Check this...

A young Haitian boy gets the first 3d printed prosthetic hand.

http://news.msn.com/science-technolo...ter-prosthesis

Quote Originally Posted by dudeclimbing View Post
    Wow emass there was something ya had no clue about.. I thought ya knew it all! Well at least now we know YOU'RE HUMAN!
    Bro, never do I claim to know it all. I know a fair amount about many things, and on some days most things. However, I am a lifelong learner and always will be. We acquire knowledge by inquisition and experience, hence, I ask bout these here 3D contraptions. Do I need 3D shades for them?

I heard at the Asstrophysics lab at the University of Maine-Orono they are rendering the first ever 3D dummy torso...

That's more like it.

Modified plastics is located in Orange County ca. He is the guy who supplies most of surfing community with raw products. Ya he's one of the guys who brought back the formula that's close to Clark foam blanks. Yes he also supplies fcs and futures their raw products as well. He comes out my way quite a bit. This past winter we talked a while about the changes in plastics coming in the future. I really want one of the printers because I make orthotics in the ski industry and it will make my job a lot easier. My company unfortunately can't do this since it has 50 stores in 2 states and the printers are just too pricey and a few other reasons as well.
    So Emass don't cry too much.
    I just know the guy behind the guy by luck and picked his brain.

Yeah 400 bucks is a lot for this. If you design your models build instructions properly the plastics are very very strong.

dudes been banned from swaylocks like 47 times

go over there and post a thread about him and people will have a melt down