LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board

Hybrid View

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.

Board

im looking to get a new shortboard. i am 6 foot and 150 lbs. right now ive got a 6'5" that just feels way too long and is hard to push through critical sections. i want something that i can whip around with ease but also can catch waves. any advice?

dang.... you're a tall skinny fella...

i'd go 6'0 or 6'1 .... thumbtail if you like smooth transitions from turn to turn, especially in hollow surf, or squash if you want a super-responsive stick...

check out JS boards... Bruce Irons and a handful of pros use them (parko, stedman) ... i've been impressed with my 5'10"

www.jsindustries.com

Im 5'11 165 pounds and ride really small boards. If you read about current board trends everyone is going smaller. Kelly slater says he would go with a 5'6 but it isnt what the judges like to see. I ride a placebo surf skate which is a 5'0. Its a niche board and I do not recommend it. It works for me because I have skated my whole life and always been more into trick/air type surfing.

Unless you have noodle arms and cant paddle worth a **** I suggest trying out really small boards. Take a 5'10 or 6'0 you like and bring the tail up a few inches and the nose down a few. it is useless board that doesnt touch the water. Only thing is you will have to learn to surf more on the tail in sucking up surf with steeper drop ins.

Quote Originally Posted by sad View Post
    Im 5'11 165 pounds and ride really small boards. If you read about current board trends everyone is going smaller. Kelly slater says he would go with a 5'6 but it isnt what the judges like to see. I ride a placebo surf skate which is a 5'0. Its a niche board and I do not recommend it. It works for me because I have skated my whole life and always been more into trick/air type surfing.

Unless you have noodle arms and cant paddle worth a **** I suggest trying out really small boards. Take a 5'10 or 6'0 you like and bring the tail up a few inches and the nose down a few. it is useless board that doesnt touch the water. Only thing is you will have to learn to surf more on the tail in sucking up surf with steeper drop ins.
    that's tiny!.... i'm 5'10, 135-145 (depending on what holiday just passed!) and my average performance board is 5'8" - 5'11" .... my fishes are both 5'5" (lost RNF and santa cruz g-deck)

5'0" is very small

Links to smaller board makers and placebo which makes the surfskate.

http://www.placebo1.com

http://www.fiftyfiftywaveskates.com

Video of people on 5050 waveskates.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=baVuyQOaY2c

video of josh sleigh on a surfskate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud9-TlUplmo

Dont be scared of smaller boards unless you are a fat dude or a whimp who cant paddle.

i'm 5'11 and 140ish, and i have a 5'10 and a 6'2. My gf got me the 6'2 as a present, so I didn't have much say in it, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought it would be too much board, but the nose and tail are pretty narrow, so its not that bad. Honestly, the 6'2 seems to be a little looser than the 5'10 (which is pretty thick and very wide), so those things factor in as well. I am wanting to get a smaller board though (probly 5'8), but I am just trying to save up some money and decide if I want to go fiberglass or epoxy (and where to get it).

7. I'm in the market for a new board as well. Right now i got a 6'2 Pefection and a 6'5 Seven fish. Those placebo surfskates look pretty killer....the biggest they make them is 5'0 though. I'm 6'3 190 pounds.....would there be any chance in hell of that working for these smaller waves in nmb with my height and weight?

Thumbs up yea

im 6'1'' 230 pounds and ride a 7'6' and a 6'6'' short thats powerful its and Al merick Sasami its thick and rides great you could go way short if you keep it thick i think its 2.5 inches so go check it out

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    thats what i love about the merricks is you can go shorter as long you make it thick and a little wider.

10. after doin some research i really like the look of the Lost 5 Fin Shark....versatile, they promote it as an "average joe board" but is capable of high performance, wider base and is pretty thick.....so im thinking if this is what i order i'd get a 6'0 model....again im 6'3 190-195 pounds depending on if its the weekend or not....tell me what u think!