LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surfmore View Post
    On the contrary, I can't stop thinking about it. Then I tell everyone within earshot of the lineup how epic it was.
    lol

k bro

Scheveningen, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands, Netherlands
    i experience exactly the same mate ... good to hear that i am not the only one , guess my memory loss is not that bad

Was thinking bout dis tread a bunch lately. Have had some real good rides in the last month that I can barely remember afterwards and having to really focus and go back in my head to replay the tape. Not too worried about that as long as I can keep getting the good rides! Hopefully get some this morning. Serious temp rises and drops these days up in NE. Just need the winds to calm.

Ditto. Was thinking about that very thing earlier this week during a morning sesh. Happens to me all the time unless something out of the ordinary happens - even right after I'm padding back out from a ride in. Had thought it was age related.

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Ditto. Was thinking about that very thing earlier this week during a morning sesh. Happens to me all the time unless something out of the ordinary happens - even right after I'm padding back out from a ride in. Had thought it was age related.
    Na breh. More stoke-related. Function of present moment existence and zone performance. The traditionalists here will be pleased that through the frequency of this euphoric amnesia, I'm getting a hell of a lot closer to "just surfing" lol

This is an awesome thread. There are three categories of wave memory for me:

1. Career Waves - Waves where if I controlled the universe I couldn't have created better timing, perfect sections, and made all the right moves. I remember these vividly for about 60 days, then I start to embellish the best parts and forget the details. These great rides dissolve and the hightlights go into "Career Moves".

2. Career Moves - Average rides with a holy-crap-did-i-just-pull-that-off move thrown in, or highlights from Career Waves. I remember the body mechanics as well as the visual aesthetics.

3. Natural Epics - There are a handful of "screen shots" and freeze frames that I will never forget, even though the ride itself was not necessarily the best. A deep bottom turn when the bottom sucked out and a belly high wave looked a hypnotic combination of deep blue and frothy, and towered above me, and time froze. I botched the actual ride, missed all the good parts, etc., but man I remember that steep, multicolored wall. And there is no sound in the moment. I TOOK TONS OF LSD IN THE 90S SO.......

You know when you've spent enough time in the water you'll grow out of being so analytical about how your ride was performance wise...your just having fun things be flowing naturally...that's when real stoke happenz dudez...
    Hey I'm still half peeled from last night probably won't remember today...but they got a tent set up around da bench off in belmar banging doob step...I think I just saw a dude give a fist pumping claim...it's pretty warm out The drugs got me mellow and today's pretty suite

Yes, and it's to do with the part of the brain which is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Yes, and it's to do with the part of the brain which is being used.
    Thanks bro. You must be a rocket surgeon. Tell us more that isn't already common knowledge to most.

Quote Originally Posted by kickmee6 View Post
    Sometimes right after I finish ridding a wave, while i'm paddling back out to the lineup, i realize that I can't remember what just happened on that last wave.

It's hard for me to describe. It is almost as if I black out as soon as i start paddling for a wave, and then next thing I know, i'm paddling back out into the lineup.

Obviously, the spectacular waves I remember vividly, even years after. But often on mediocre days I experience this extremely short term memory loss while surfing. Although, after thinking about it for a few seconds, I am able to recollect what happened, and i realize that wave i just surfed consisted of no more than a quick drop or blown top turn.

I am wondering if anyone else experiences this. I am wondering if while we surf, we become so concentrated in that exact moment that we don't even realize or think about the actual motions we are going through. I know I am not the first to propose this type idea, I am just wondering, can anyone else can relate to this? If not, maybe its time for me to start cutting back on the burning.
    Yo!!! Dead serious, this happens to me.