LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

FireWires... And other Epoxies

How do these feel? I've heard different responses on its flex/overall feel. I know its NOT a PU surfboard, but while surfing does it at least feel similar? Or does it float too much and kinda bog? Also if anyone has ridden a new TLPC board from surftech, or even the future flex by HaydenShapes Please feel free to input your experience.

Thank you for all your responses/input

eps/epoxy boards have their pros and cons, depending on the conditions. My experience is most of them are still basically too light. I'm guessing the eps foam (same type styrofoam as in coffee cups) is the main culprit...and most all brands have their own eps formulation/buoyancy and epoxy mixes/flex, so you'd really need to try them all to find the one for you.

I would still be testing them, but I can't afford the money or time I'd need to invest. At this point, the only thing close I'd even consider paying for is Hydroflex "natural" (epoxy glass over PU foam).
    Last edited by waterbaby; Aug 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewaternerd View Post
    How do these feel?
    I hate to complicate things but I don't think you can lump "Firewire...and other Epoxies" into one category that are going to be similar.

Firewires have parabolic rails and are sandwich construction...that's going have its own feel.
    hand shaped / laminated EPS/epoxy board with a middle stringer...that's going to have its own feel.
    Surftech feels completely different to me than either of these.

Of all these, just a plain hand laminated EPS epoxy board, with lighter glassing, and a bit more thinned out, can feel pretty similar to a PU/PE board to me.

I agree with Waterbaby that Epoxy glassing over Poly foam gets you extra durability and keeps the poly feel.

Yeah Personally I don't mind the lightness, to me its just the flex, and float. I have an eps epoxy Cannibal that uses the vacuum bagging technology that just doesn't feel right. A few surf shops offer some of these boards as demos, but when we get waves in Florida the last thing i'm thinkin about is demoing a board. But alrighty thanks for the response.

(Mitchell)
    Yeah you're right, I was just hoping to get some discussion going.
    But how do these parabolic stringers flex/feel?
    Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Thewaternerd; Aug 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM.

One word... Coil.

Images
    I have had two PU Ron Jons which both got dinged up really easy. Of course that could just be because they are Ron Jons. I just picked up an epoxy Santa Cruz thruster. The SC is very buoyant and light but in my opinion I like both of those attributes. I think I'll probably get a hand shaped epoxy next year. I just like how durable they are known to be.

Images
    I love my firewires and although I always rode poly boards before don't see anything but positive characteristics in the epoxy.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I hate to complicate things but I don't think you can lump "Firewire...and other Epoxies" into one category that are going to be similar.

Firewires have parabolic rails and are sandwich construction...that's going have its own feel.
    hand shaped / laminated EPS/epoxy board with a middle stringer...that's going to have its own feel.
    Surftech feels completely different to me than either of these.

Of all these, just a plain hand laminated EPS epoxy board, with lighter glassing, and a bit more thinned out, can feel pretty similar to a PU/PE board to me.

I agree with Waterbaby that Epoxy glassing over Poly foam gets you extra durability and keeps the poly feel.
    Firewires are popouts.
    Last edited by surfthewall11; Aug 10, 2014 at 02:40 AM.

The parabolic rail does something very specific that I don't pretend to understand, but the finished project has a very distinct feel. I have a Firewire Flexfire, which is designed for steep/good waves. It feels slightly lighter than air, is unbelievably responsive and throws spray higher than my ability dictates. Regardless, it's just not that much fun to ride. I far prefer a heavy poly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I love my firewires and although I always rode poly boards before don't see anything but positive characteristics in the epoxy.
    word.