LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini longboards

Mini longboards

Long time lurker ... First time poster.....

Interested in hearing opinions on mini longboards ? Who has'em, what conditions do you ride them, etc.

I know a guy who swears by this board - Stretch - It - for most conditions.

http://www.stretchboards.com/boards/surfboards/it.php

I mostly short board/ fish/ grovel on northeast waves but looking to add some length to the quiver.

Hot regards,

Redbeard

Images
    I am probably wrong here, but isn't that just a "fun shape". I have a 7'4 that was passed on to me, and I have had a ton of fun on it over the years. Its what I lend out to any friends who want to learn... Just long enough to "hang 5" or so depending on your size, but you can still turn it like a shortboard...

I have a 7'8 "mini longboard". It's a fun board. Single fin, I'm not to knowledgeable in concaves and what not but it's got that spooned out nose. Fun board for most conditions but I don't use it much. Like Zach said, it's just a fun shape. I'd rather be on a LB or SB.

I have an 8'1" McTavish 8 Ball which is just a shorter version of the Fireball. It came with a thruster setup but I went to a single fin and it's sh*t ton of fun! I'm getting a custom LB shaped for me right now though, so I don't know how much action it will see after I get it, but it gets into waves that most LB's can get into and it rides nice in bigger surf too.

5. I'm working on a real mini longboard right now. Its very traditional along the lines of the Cooperfish Device but scaled down to 8'4". Glass on fin, rolled bottom, knify 50/50 rails, heavier glass, gloss. Board is being made for a 115# rider but I can't wait to try it myself.

Hopefully by Monday I will have it glossed and polished for pictures.

The board in the link by the OP isn't what I'd consider a longboard. That's a funboard. I've had boards like that twice is the past and both times I hated them and sold them. If I want to surf like I'm on a shortboard I'll ride a real shortboard. On the flip side if I'm gonna ride a longboard I want to be on a traditional longboard with lots of glide and noseriding ability. To me there is nothing more ugly than someone attempting to ride a longboard like its a shortboard.
    Last edited by CJsurf; May 23, 2014 at 08:31 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CJsurf View Post
    I'm working on a real mini longboard right now. Its very traditional along the lines of the Cooperfish Device but scaled down to 8'4". Glass on fin, rolled bottom, knify 50/50 rails, heavier glass, gloss. Board is being made for a 115# rider but I can't wait to try it myself.

The board in the link by the OP isn't what I'd consider a longboard. That's a funboard. Hopefully by Monday I will have it glossed and polished for pictures. I've had boards like that twice is the past and both times I hated them and sold them. If I want to surf like I'm on a shortboard I'll ride a real shortboard. On the flip side if I'm gonna ride a longboard I want to be on a traditional longboard with lots of glide and noseriding ability. To me there is nothing more ugly than someone attempting to ride a longboard like its a shortboard.
    I feel you. This is actually a video that was from swellinfo. I happened to watch it a couple weeks ago and I REALLY enjoyed watching dude surf. He is on longboards and SUPs, but the guys style is kinda ill... He moves that longboard around like it's a potato chip SB... Not everyone can look graceful doing it, but it really got me excited to get out on a bigger board soon.

A buddy of mine from OB surfed like this. His names is "Butter" Joyce. Ill try and find a video. He was a LB team rider for Southcoast, but he literally moved his boards around like a ASP shortboarder.

Don't know about the stinger wing but if you get one I bet you will love it. But probably won't pull chicks very well. Looks like a one board middle age beer gut quiver. That the kids will have fun on too.
    Wait a minute........
    I resemble that remark.

I had a Stretch "it". Funboardish in that it really didn't go in waves under waist...which defeated the purpose of a board that long for me. The stinger/round pin combo is no bueno for small waves. Single fin log is way to go for a summer in the northeast.

the "squashing" of a lb into a sb is a current trend and way cool. i'm lovin it and my
    board of choice is the firewire addvantage which surfs quite well though doesn't nose ride quite as well. its 7/2.

Quote Originally Posted by mikespeed View Post
    I had a Stretch "it". Funboardish in that it really didn't go in waves under waist...which defeated the purpose of a board that long for me. The stinger/round pin combo is no bueno for small waves. Single fin log is way to go for a summer in the northeast.
    I second that. I have one of these and it's such great fun aside from this difficulty and more or less expecting to get foolproof takeoffs on just about any wave because you're paddling out with that much more volume. Unless the wave is completely gutless, I'm able to get up on knee to thigh on it. It's quaffed so that helps but you're right about all the volume taken out of the tail affecting the wave-catching. Would like to hear more of your experience with this board in detail. It's definitely worth having.