LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Interesting concept. I don't think they really have the technology dialed in, but with similar application and some modifications, it would be an interesting idea on shortboard... I could see maybe trying to leave a standard center fin, and using two sliding side fins. Or a slider in the middle with two solid fins on the outside. You can tell by their style that they really have to stay on top of it and they can't bury their rails at all, so its too skatey and racey for my liking.

But you guys have to admit, what these kids are doing in the wave pool is a pretty good representation of the new school. I am all about tail slides, reverses and getting my fins out in front of my, but I don't want to sacrifice turning for it... But if they could dial it in somehow, it could be fun. It could be fun to have a lot easier time flipping that tail. Releasing the fins through airs...

I see where they are going with it, and with some modifications, it could be fun, but if you can't go rail to rail with it, I don't see the point. Unless you are just pumping down the line and trying to do shove its and sh** with some airs.

If fins are going to pivot successfully they need to do so on the vertical axis.

These fins show the inefficiency of typical 'flex fins' which bend mainly in the wrong axis also.

wearing a hat while surfing is gay

btw those fins are stupid

Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    wearing a hat while surfing is gay

btw those fins are stupid
    Bro some dudes who can't deal with the sun on the noggin have to swear by it.

Those fins do look whack. I can't see how they serve the intended purpose. Then again, I'm far from an astrofinicist.

Images
    Ya I had fins that had a lot of pivot and it really made me hate the board until I changed the fins. Maybe they work good in a wave pool where you don't have sections And no need for speed , you really lose the drive when you add pivot ...

considering only one of a thruster's side fins is really useful during a hard rail turn (the opposite side fin is more drag than anything), it might be interesting if someone made the opposite/unused side fin fold out of the way. The center fin would be standard/stiff...or, better yet, a shark-tooth trailer. Probably unnecessary in big waves, but could be beneficial in small waves
    Last edited by waterbaby; May 25, 2014 at 04:50 AM.

roys fin dissertation called firewire "stupid." it is worth noticing that the last two pro victories both male and female were on firewires. and on a much lesser note….so am i. and he is not. these dots connect.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    roys fin dissertation called firewire "stupid." it is worth noticing that the last two pro victories both male and female were on firewires. and on a much lesser note….so am i. and he is not. these dots connect.
    while i wouldn't go so far as to say that firewire's concept is "stupid", roy & i are somewhat in agreement in regard to firewire...pro victories or not, i think a lot of their success as a brand is marketing hype, primarily playing off of the gullibility of most surfers (not that dissimilar to the success of any other large board manufacturer).

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    while i wouldn't go so far as to say that firewire's concept is "stupid", roy & i are somewhat in agreement in regard to firewire...pro victories or not, i think a lot of their success as a brand is marketing hype, primarily playing off of the gullibility of most surfers (not that dissimilar to the success of any other large board manufacturer).
    have to respectfully disagree. one succeeds as a brand by GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT. firewire
    has a modern product line , boss website, higher durability (in general), and has embraced the concept
    of (appropriate) volume which has been sorely lacking forever. also they seem to do cross-dressing meaning
    that if you're conservative ride a dominator or if you're whack ride a tomo or if you can't make up your
    mind heres' 15 models to try. i'm on my third and almost went out and bought number 4 yesterday.