LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
    Yeah its annoying. I was at spring lake from 7-9, having fun, and the whistle brigade goes nuts to put me in the penalty box with 30 other dudes. F that. 12 jetties, nobody is swimming in 57 degree water but I have to vacate. In lb if you show your disabled veteran id they just let you surf. But there's always one dude that says "only active duty bro." Then I have to show him the law and statute. It's the ocean for f's sake. I hate NJ summer surfing. I'm pissed just thinking about it.
    I asked the guards, "who makes that call?" They said it was the mayor. The guards themselves are pretty cool and we have to understand that they are just doing their jobs and don't make the rules. I would love to sit down the beach manager and higher ups and ask them where they get off telling us to move over when no swimmers are in sight.
    Furthermore, how is taking a group of surfers that are spread out comfortably and concentrating them in a small area of beach making anything safer? If anything its causing more danger to all of us.

Its the most ass backward situation I've seen. If anything, give the guards a little more authority and have them make the judgement call on whether surfers or swimmers have to be moved to keep everything safe. Some dip**** politicians who know nothing about the ocean get away with this nonsense and something has to be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDsurf View Post
    I asked the guards, "who makes that call?" They said it was the mayor. The guards themselves are pretty cool and we have to understand that they are just doing their jobs and don't make the rules. I would love to sit down the beach manager and higher ups and ask them where they get off telling us to move over when no swimmers are in sight.
    Furthermore, how is taking a group of surfers that are spread out comfortably and concentrating them in a small area of beach making anything safer? If anything its causing more danger to all of us.

Its the most ass backward situation I've seen. If anything, give the guards a little more authority and have them make the judgement call on whether surfers or swimmers have to be moved to keep everything safe. Some dip**** politicians who know nothing about the ocean get away with this nonsense and something has to be done about it.
    born/bred jersey and seen life from both sides (now) as a swimmer turned lifeguard turned surfer.
    my solution - give up. (breaking rocks in the hot sun; i fought the law….).

this starting with the lifeguards memorial day weekend is some sh!t....why is there no common sense? The water doesn't warm up enough here until the week of/after July 4th.

When the water is still too cold for people to bathe and swim in, why the hell would they keep surfers from going out...total bs.

All in all a good weekend, ate some crabs, hung out with family and got to get wet for 3-4 hours....and beat the damn traffic, boogied out of dodge late last night.

Water feels awesome! Noticed some jellies, though.

Stoked.

Images
    I can't wait for jellies, I stuff as many as I can in my speedo, then walk around with a manly strut.

Images
    Ended up having a great surf weekend. I'm getting better!! Took some waves today and did just fine. This momma is back in the saddle - woo hoo!

Yeah I was stoked with a high wave count sesh last night that was under an hour. Couldn't believe this break I was at was pumping anything of note at mid to high when it's primarily a low tide break. It was only a couple feet but takeoffs were punchy and easy in all these and the fact that some of them mushed or closed out was actually really good practice and I landed them at 95%. You really can't be too upset dropping into a wave and putting your hand in it going down the line no matter how small it is.

Watched the buoys like the KGB this weekend to see if drives by the break were worth the time. Today I took two different strolls but didn't see anything worth stepping into. I'm at the point where I'm not too stoked if I can't get a turn off a wave, excluding gnarly drops from bigger waves that are half to fully closing out. If that's all there is at the break then I'll just rip pave on the Carver. Did that today by the break and a wheel came off while I was pushing uphill. Always do the pre-trip inspection of your gear!!!!

Hey queen of the wind chop - what saddle is this that you speak of? Do tell, wahine.

btw - I've never seen so many soft tops as in the last two days. Did we miss the boat on buying up stock of foamies this winter? I know the head count on tourists just went through the roof but I don't recall seeing half as many soft tops last year.

Speaking of getting out of Dodge....got on UA, surfed SoCal three days 5 sessions. Waves were good Sat & Sun, eh not so much today with incredibly long lulls. Very crowded today, worse than the weekend, but people were cool in the water.

Spring suit is all that's needed out there, doodz. I'm beginning to think the Gulf Stream thing is way over-called. So to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I can't wait for jellies, I stuff as many as I can in my speedo, then walk around with a manly strut.
    don't do that in oz. yeee-ouch!

Images
    "Hey queen of the wind chop - what saddle is this that you speak of? Do tell, wahine."

I ride an 8 foot Walden.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It was fun this morning. I surfed 30 minutes then..................
    Attachment 10973
    That was my absolute favorite board
    Bummer, I got 1 year out of it at least. When It happened, the lifeguards started whistling everyone out, to make us pay the badge checkers. I grabbed another board from home and snuck under the boardwalk successfully to get 3 more hours of waves for free!!!!!!! Wow! Imagine not having to pay for the ocean? It was crazy man.
    They made you get out to buy a badge? It's been my experience that I've never had to buy a badge so long as I had a board and was headed right to the water. I thought that was the rule, that they can't charge you if you're not on the beach.