LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88

Thread: Paint job time!

  1. #21
    glad you're not going for the swirl...I think they look like crap (most of them)

    ...I also wouldn't get black, red, or dark blue on my board because of wax melt

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    glad you're not going for the swirl...I think they look like crap (most of them)

    ...I also wouldn't get black, red, or dark blue on my board because of wax melt
    Yeah at first it seemed like a good idea, but the more I thought about it the more I didn't like it. I like solid colors or pin stripes, as you can tell by most of my selections. I'm definitely going with the gloss, it isn't much extra and if it doesn't affect performance at all like others have said then it's a no brainer for the extra protection and visual appeal. Is wax melt that much of an issue on darker boards? I would think if you have the right wax it would be fine, but I may be wrong. My WRV Funfish is blue and it never was an issue but IDK, haven't surfed that board since I got my Coil over a year ago.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,364
    Images
    1
    I like the Stewarts with the long strips but I would go thicker on the red strips and maybe do the center quarter of the rails with a solid color strip... I have one similar and I love the colors- it's just classic and it stands out! Just make sure that they follow the strips around the bottom of the board and don't just do a white bottom...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    1,057
    Like the pin stripes and gloss coat. Classy and a work of art

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    1,905
    have a look at the wood-veneer firewire lb's.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,215
    Thanks for the feedback guys! All good advice

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    I like the Stewarts with the long strips but I would go thicker on the red strips and maybe do the center quarter of the rails with a solid color strip... I have one similar and I love the colors- it's just classic and it stands out! Just make sure that they follow the strips around the bottom of the board and don't just do a white bottom...
    A Stewart custom was the inspiration for my board. Specifically this one...


    I loved the seafoam but wanted a softer look. Used the fade color for the pinstripe rather than the red. The fade gives some weight to the look without adding too many hard lines. I was thrilled with the final product:


    DawnPatrolSUP, you have something picked out yet?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    ...Is wax melt that much of an issue on darker boards? I would think if you have the right wax it would be fine, but I may be wrong. My WRV Funfish is blue and it never was an issue but IDK, haven't surfed that board since I got my Coil over a year ago.
    every board I've had with any darker colors either had really bad wax melt or even delams from overheating (and I'm in central CA...can't imagine FL). The worst was a solid red board I had that would start melting just walking to or from the ocean. I also had a board with a navy blue fade that overheated in a parked, but well ventilated, car and a big bubble formed right where the darkest part of the blue was on the rail...never again.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
    A Stewart custom was the inspiration for my board. Specifically this one...


    I loved the seafoam but wanted a softer look. Used the fade color for the pinstripe rather than the red. The fade gives some weight to the look without adding too many hard lines. I was thrilled with the final product:


    DawnPatrolSUP, you have something picked out yet?
    Nice looking board MJP, I haven't decided yet but I've narrowed it down to a few. Probably going to have a decision in the next day or two.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    every board I've had with any darker colors either had really bad wax melt or even delams from overheating (and I'm in central CA...can't imagine FL). The worst was a solid red board I had that would start melting just walking to or from the ocean. I also had a board with a navy blue fade that overheated in a parked, but well ventilated, car and a big bubble formed right where the darkest part of the blue was on the rail...never again.
    Thanks for the tips waterbaby, I'll keep that in mind for sure. My instincts are leaning more towards the white w/pin stripe look, but we'll see, I'm having what you call decision constipation....