LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Do you know what beach this is near San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

    I surfed on a beach near San Juan del Sur two years ago. Do you know the name of this one? Because I forgot what of the two well known beaches neer SJDS it was..

    Is too big to put in the thread but you can find it here:
    http://www.surfhostel.net/wp-content.../nicaplaya.jpg

    Thanks !!

  2. #2
    Playa Remanso - I surfed there back in October. Was staying on Playa Maderas. Remanso is a smaller/softer wave and probably the only real longboarding wave. When we were there Maderas was pumping 8+ft and Remanso was 4-5ft....so you get the idea. It's a fun spot to cruise or if there's a big swell and Maderas has beaten you up a bit and you want something a little more mellow.

  3. #3
    Thank you! Always good to know what beach I surfed on. I surfed there in October, it was quite mellow but sometimes with surprises.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    304
    Crazy to see it once a bit of rain has fallen....I just got back from Nica and that whole point looks like a desert right now. Surfing options near SJDS have been severely limited for a bit as Survivor essentially just rented a couple mile long swath of the coast and is restricting all access by land. If you want to score the waves near the Survivor set, for the next 5-6 months, you have to boat in. We were directed away from the coast by a few different machete-wielding guards when we tried to sneak our way over. All so people can put on the charade that they're in the middle of nowhere....they're <20 minutes from San Juan del Sur.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,647
    Images
    6
    Whoever maybe going there within that time frame has a moral obligation to sabotage the set somehow.

  6. #6
    Wait until they blow up Nicaragua for the new canal the Chinese are building. Bigger than the Panama Canal. Will ruin Lake Nicaragua too. San Juan del Sur is going to be a dump.
    I feel bad for all the ex-pats that bought land down there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Whoever maybe going there within that time frame has a moral obligation to sabotage the set somehow.
    We took a boat in one day, funny to see the guards cruise down the beach in a 4x4 and wait on shore to see if we were going to try to come in to shore at any point so they could throw us out....just kept surfing and then paddled back out to the boat.

    Not nearly as funny when we hiked 30+ minutes in searing mid-day heat, came over the rise to see a 6-8 foot hollow left absolutely FIRING, and then got turned away 5 minutes later by one of the aforementioned men with the machetes. My bribe offers were apparently nothing compared to what CBS is paying. How can a private company shut down a coastline in a foreign country? Such BS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Wait until they blow up Nicaragua for the new canal the Chinese are building. Bigger than the Panama Canal. Will ruin Lake Nicaragua too. San Juan del Sur is going to be a dump.
    I feel bad for all the ex-pats that bought land down there.
    Yeah that is just a terrible idea. Particularly since the expansion of the Panama Canal will render another canal unnecessary for the foreseeable future.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,647
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    We took a boat in one day, funny to see the guards cruise down the beach in a 4x4 and wait on shore to see if we were going to try to come in to shore at any point so they could throw us out....just kept surfing and then paddled back out to the boat.

    Not nearly as funny when we hiked 30+ minutes in searing mid-day heat, came over the rise to see a 6-8 foot hollow left absolutely FIRING, and then got turned away 5 minutes later by one of the aforementioned men with the machetes. My bribe offers were apparently nothing compared to what CBS is paying. How can a private company shut down a coastline in a foreign country? Such BS.
    Complete BS...sorry you didn't score that left. People will watch the show and think the contestants are so core.

    And yeah, that Chinese canal business sounds no good to me. Is that going down for sure?

  10. #10
    I got bored with the waves one day there and paddled somewhere out else. It was kind of sketchy but that little beachie was kind of pounding and fun. Also,. there are tons of stingrays at Remanso and beginners step on them all the time
    Last edited by ukelelesurf; Jun 4, 2014 at 02:05 PM.