LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    See previous comment, but i'm 5'9 and around 160 right now. I was at my healthiest, bruce lee weight at around 152-155. But that was full on six pack, surfing 7 days per week, 365 in my hay day... I did notice that slowly, over the past 2 years since I move back east, I gained weight without really knowing it. As of 2.5 months ago, I was almost 180... I don't own a scale, so the wife and I were walking through walmart, and I have a little ghetto in me, so as we walked past the scales, I just pulled one out of the box, slapped it on the ground, set it to zero and when I stepped on it, I was like WTF????? I blamed the damn machine... Took a different one out, convinced it was wrong, but no... it was me... So for the previous 2 months, I have been eating almost no carbs. No sodas. Half the time, I was just skipping breakfast, eating a minimal lunch... Basically losing weight the wrong way, but hey, like I said, I am back to 159 i think last I check and I at least have a 4 pack. Can't quite get those bottom two to show themselves, but I am still impressed with what I have done in 2 months....

With all that being said, I think putting 15-20 extra pounds on a 5'9 frame really put stress on my core area. Since age 5 or so, I had a core that felt like a brick wall. Now, although the weight isn't on there, I can tell that it's not nearly as strong as it has been in the past....

But with minimal surf around here all the time, the full time job, the wife and 2 years old daughter, and just life, I just haven't been able to find time to get active regularly. Ran a few times over the past couple months, but nothing with any kind of regularity. I have just gotten sucked into the "American" way of life. Where it's work work work, get home, have dinner with the baby and wife, read bedtime stories and all that, so before you know it, the sun has set and I am parked on the couch with a beer in hand trying to enjoy the last couple hours or the night before having to rest and repeat. It's our busy season, so I usually work 5 days one week and six the next, so by the time the weekend hits, its usually yard work and house upkeep in the morning, hit up the depot or something, then go to the beach with the family, surf if im lucky....

Its just life my dudes. Im not a care free 25 year old chasing waves every day.... I used to mock friends of mine, who slowly, or quickly got out of shape... Like, dude, WTF? How did you let that happen? Now I understand. Compared to my homies from youth, I am by far in the most tip top shape. I mean, at least I got the 4 pack going. My other friends literally look like they are on deaths door. I mean, I'm talking these dudes are pushing 100lbs more than they were in college.

But at any rate, I know there is no easy solution. And like I said, every day that goes by that I don't surf, it feels better and better and better... But that is not a pattern I want to follow. I just wanted to know what you cats do when the back starts tweeking. I have just never had to deal with it... I most certainly should have taken some advil this morning. Shame on me.... And that glass of scotch before bed last night was probably not the best night cap and was a detriment to my hydration and general well being, but f' it.
    Well, it's certainly not your weight.

I'd get one of those braces, footwear adjustment, as everyone above was saying try yoga, stretching, etc. Just plain old swimming might do a lot of good.

Don't know and didn't read much. Just writing to say feel better.

theres a guy on youtube with some really good lower-back videos that helped me a lot. search "HASfit Lower back stretches"

water bananas and beer.

The water keeps your muscles hydrated and performing well, the bananas give you muchos potassium that keep your muscles from cramping, and the beer helps forget the pain after a long sesh/week of sesh's

In all seriousness, its common to be sore after a long run of swell, I'm sure you are very aware of this. Dont fret old man, enjoy the soreness and the fact you still paddle out

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Well, it's certainly not your weight.

I'd get one of those braces, footwear adjustment, as everyone above was saying try yoga, stretching, etc. Just plain old swimming might do a lot of good.
    Yeah, I will definitely do more swimming. I think before I do a brace or anything like that, because like I said, this is the first week I have ever really experienced it, I will try and mentally check myself throughout the day and identify my posture etc. Maybe get one of those lumbar pillows for the back of my chair.

And quite a few of you have mentioned how flip flops are bad... why is that? they are just generally flat and cushy and i Just tool around the house in them. I never thought they could be a detriment or any worse than any other choice of footwear.

Yeah, I will definitely do more swimming. I think before I do a brace or anything like that, because like I said, this is the first week I have ever really experienced it, I will try and mentally check myself throughout the day and identify my posture etc. Maybe get one of those lumbar pillows for the back of my chair.

And quite a few of you have mentioned how flip flops are bad... why is that? they are just generally flat and cushy and i Just tool around the house in them. I never thought they could be a detriment or any worse than any other choice of footwear.
    Flip flops arent bad, people are sissies these days and need supportive shoes just to go to work. For **** sakes, the human species spent most of thier existence barefoot or wearing sandals, and all of the sudden we are too smart for genetic evolution.

Flip flops are bad for those who wear shoes constantly. You get used to a certain way of walking heel first in a pair of supportive cushy shoes, when in reality you are supposed to run/walk/cruise happy hours planting your whole foot and rolling to the toes.

Read about barefoot runners, youll see, shoes have ruined much of how walking is supposed to be performed
    Last edited by Hayduke Lives; Jun 5, 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I get a tight lower back when I get lots of water time. What helps me is this: Take Aleve, soak in a epsom salt bath, stretch really good, especially laying on your side with your leg / knee bent and pulled all the way to the side and toward your stomach / chest with your torso and head facing the other direction, alternate laying on both sides doing this.

Also, stretching your hamstrings is really good at helping lower back pain, lots of different ways to do that, mostly common sense there. If you have someone to help you, you can have them push your legs further and have them hold in place till you can't stand it anymore. Go slow and hold your stretches for a good amount of time. None of it really cures it immediately but it will help some for sure. At least you will recover faster if you don't hurt yourself in the process.
    Pretty much concur w/ DPSup..
    1. Stretching is especially important before and after. If you have heated seats in vehicle, fire'm up.. it will help the pre sesh stretch (warm shower will help also).
    2. I also pack a few of those "soft ice packs" and after sesh put one on my lower back and one on my knees (those are the usual bothersome areas - sometimes on shoulders) for the drive home.
    3. General up keep and preparation, Keep your core strong & flexible via "off day work". I do situps, pushups, lunges, various stretches, etc.
    4. Aleve when necessary.
    5. You should expect some soreness. Just wait until you get even older
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Jun 5, 2014 at 07:14 PM.

after parsing your response i think "hauling the plank" was/is indeed the problem.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    after parsing your response i think "hauling the plank" was/is indeed the problem.
    Yeah, that was the straw that broke the camels back... I mean, people were literally laughing at me. Just keeping the thing up in the wind felt like I was trying to reel in a 600 pound monster. My feet were digging into the stand with every step and by the time I got back to our beach setup, I just collapsed in a tide pool and laid there. It all went down hill from there.

Disclaimer: I understand the common answers will be: You are getting older, deal with it. You are not in the shape you were in in your early to mid 20s....

But dudes, this past week, after surfing those strong winds and hauling a plank 2 miles back up the beach in sideshore wind, My lower back has been aching. It seems to get better once I get a day off from surfing, but after another session this morning, this lower back is super tight and cramped up... It doesn't help that I spend most of my work days sitting in a leather executive chair, while displaying terrible posture and leaning forward for 7-8 hours...

But man, what do yall do to ale these lower back pains. It's definitely paddle pains. Tuesday, like I said, albeit if facetious, I got like 100 waves. Now the back is paying for it...

I have never had these issues really. I thrashed myself day in and day out for 10 straight years. All the compression I put on my back probably didn't help, but man, it's catching up...

What do you boys do to prevent or recover from this....

And I have a pretty new mattress, but I feel like that doesn't help my cause either. I stay waking up with a stiff neck and stuff.
    You have to stay loose...You're entire body. Find a good stretching routine, and stick with it. Yoga is fine, but, you need to find the right practice for you and take things slowly.
    Keep your lower back muscles and ab muscles (eg Core) strong. Start small and progress.
    Use the McKenzie Method for acute lower back pain...Very simple. Look it up online.
    POSTURE POSTURE POSTURE when resting/sitting/etc. Your lower back should maintain its natural curvature similar to when you're standing with good posture.
    Forget about chiropractors...I've learned over decades that they are a bunch of snake oil salesmen. You can improve most problems yourself.
    Forget about meds. Pain is a feedback mechanism. Antinflammatory meds, other painkiller, and muscle relaxers only mask the real problems.
    Relax. Stress can manifest itself into actual physical symptoms.
    Rest. The body heals itself while sleeping.
    That's it. LOL.