LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I used to blow out my lower back/upper buttocks area a couple times a year. The doc used to give me Flexeril, UNTIL I moved my wallet from my back pocket to my front.

try this for muscular aches and pains.
    http://www.ticoshopping.com/Cofal-Fuerte-4.2-oz

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke Lives View Post
    Flip flops arent bad, people are sissies these days and need supportive shoes just to go to work. For **** sakes, the human species spent most of thier existence barefoot or wearing sandals, and all of the sudden we are too smart for genetic evolution.

Flip flops are bad for those who wear shoes constantly. You get used to a certain way of walking heel first in a pair of supportive cushy shoes, when in reality you are supposed to run/walk/cruise happy hours planting your whole foot and rolling to the toes.

Read about barefoot runners, youll see, shoes have ruined much of how walking is supposed to be performed
    Humans used to live 50 years and be essentially crippled by then. As for barefoot running, complete fad and the high impact is causing major problems. Correct, we were supposed to be running barefoot....we were also supposed to be walking everywhere. The car has changed it. Technology is our friend in some cases. 99% of the population grew up in shoes/sneakers. It's EXTREMELY difficult to revert. It's also extremely impractical, unless of course you're good to go in a suit rocking...well feet.

Also, look at barefoot runner times vs runners that wear sneakers. Night and day. Also, there's a class action lawsuit against vibram right now over the claims of barefoot/minimalist running. Not looking good for them. Shoes may have ruined our natural form of walking, but it's improved long term impact damage. Any long distance runner (marathons, etc) will be absolutely toast by age 60. Fact. High impact on the body = not good. Swimmers on the other hand, zero impact. They don't tell people with arthritis that are out of shape to swim for no reason, otherwise they'd say "yeah sure, go run barefoot for a few miles, it's natural".

Not knocking your post at all. There's two different schools of thought on this subject. Totally respect yours. It does work for some people, but people that have been in shoes their whole lives can seriously hurt themselves going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yeah, that was the straw that broke the camels back... I mean, people were literally laughing at me. Just keeping the thing up in the wind felt like I was trying to reel in a 600 pound monster. My feet were digging into the stand with every step and by the time I got back to our beach setup, I just collapsed in a tide pool and laid there. It all went down hill from there.
    theres more than one reason to ride a short board...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Correct, we were supposed to be running barefoot....we were also supposed to be walking everywhere. The car has changed it.. 99% of the population grew up in shoes/sneakers. It's EXTREMELY difficult to revert. It's also extremely impractical, unless of course you're good to go in a suit rocking...well feet.

Not knocking your post at all. There's two different schools of thought on this subject. Totally respect yours. It does work for some people, but people that have been in shoes their whole lives can seriously hurt themselves going this route.
    Thats the point I was making exactly and I think we disagree at this part

Technology is our friend in some cases
    I dont feel technology that puts band aids on technology that eff'd us up is a good move.

Good discussion though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yeah, that was the straw that broke the camels back... I mean, people were literally laughing at me. Just keeping the thing up in the wind felt like I was trying to reel in a 600 pound monster. My feet were digging into the stand with every step and by the time I got back to our beach setup, I just collapsed in a tide pool and laid there. It all went down hill from there.
    Here's a little longboard trick that helps me in windy situations.... I carry the board wax in, tail first and hold the leash with my opposite hand. While holding the leash I'm essentially "trimming the sail" except I'm trying to make it catch the least amount of wind as possible but still pulling slightly against the leash.

It isn't fool proof but it helps. Another much kookier way is to get in shin high water and hold the very bottom of the leash where it attaches to the board and drag the nose through the water. Make sure not to drag it through sand.

Either way you're still torquing your back for long distances. Listen to everyone else about the stretching. I made it a habit this winter to sit on the floor and stretch while watching tv. My flexibility went up and my tv watching went down.

now about those pics

it' getting creepy that i have to bring this up

Slow yoga 15 minutes every morning. You HAVE the time. It wil stretch you Slowly and properly over time and teach you to Breathe through movements.
    And This-
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...FoamRoller.htm

Check out foundation training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

Really helped my lower back and takes 10-12 mins day.

Images
    Zach...do a little stretching every morning, after work if there aren't any waves go walk 3 miles or so miles, it seems like a lot but it takes about an hour out of your day, walking is a good exercise to strengthen your lower back muscles, it works for me.
    Last edited by fl.surfdog; Jun 6, 2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Im elliteright.....see

Images
    Hey bro I used to have a lot of back pain too- some things that everyone else has mentioned that I have found also that works:

1. The infamous heating pad. Get one . Use it as work from time to time. It will help.

2. Go easy. Backs take for ever to heal. When your carting some thing heavy for a long time on one side of your body- your going to mess it up. Also sleeping posture will effect it- sleeping on your side is NG.

3. Once healed- start focusing on building muscles in your 'core' body. Usually some easy exercises in the am to keep your back strong. Your getting old bro- gotta give up the bench offs in Belmar and lifting 500lbs and focus on your core and cardio... Sorry man happen to all of us... Welcome to the club.

Oh ya- wearing a back brace helps too- I got one from cvs that I like that is basically just elastic (not the black one with the supports built in)...