Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    Fit as a fiddle unless my battery dies . . . Technology is sure grand! I want a solar charger for my pacer!
    The trouble with pacemakers is that they keep humans alive after they should be dead. Uh, let me clarify that....meaning, if a person goes vegetative or strokes, then the pacemaker won't let the body die; keeps people alive for years, whereas without the pacemaker it would have been adios.

The ultimate quandary. As well as bankrupting families & wasting medical resources that could be much better utilized.

Yankee thats one of the most difficult conversations in all of healthcare, it doesnt appear to be going away anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    Yankee thats one of the most difficult conversations in all of healthcare, it doesnt appear to be going away anytime soon
    i bet its ultimately an issue of (the victims') resources...

it will eventually become a discussion of the society's resources vs that individuals perceived worth, thats when it gets hard

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    The trouble with pacemakers is that they keep humans alive after they should be dead. Uh, let me clarify that....meaning, if a person goes vegetative or strokes, then the pacemaker won't let the body die; keeps people alive for years, whereas without the pacemaker it would have been adios.

The ultimate quandary. As well as bankrupting families & wasting medical resources that could be much better utilized.
    Actually, this question bothered me a lot! I asked my doc about. He said that if the rest of me quits, like from cancer or plain old age, the pacer won't keep me alive or even a facsimile of alive. I got me a living will and health care proxy, says pull the plug if I become a head of wilted lettuce. No desire to burden my family or any of my fellow taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Diagnosed with prostate cancer 10 years ago @ 45, surgery went well and no recurrences since. Pretty brutal surgery - still remember trying to surf about 10 weeks after, could barely longboard mushy VB. Went to Costa Rica about 8 months later- When I caught a good fast overhead wave, I almost cried realizing my surfing wasn't over.
    Thanks to my girlfriend (wife now) for helping me find it.
    Most of you can thank you lucky charms you don't have to deal with these past or present disabilities in or out of the water. Kudos to you for having the strength to over come such a major operation finding your way back into the ocean as gliding down that Costa wave was a victory lap. Sometimes its a long battle back but its certainly worth it, thanks for sharing your story.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    the past three years,age 48-51,have been debilitating for me as far as I used to just go surfing and now I can barely get up to my feet on the board,thanks to needing new hips and then a deadly sarcoma,removal of the femoral rectus so I now have a tri instead of a quadriceps plus the burnt leg from radiation has the soft tissue as hard as a rock so I can't move,but I still got some waves the past couple days,though it's a total struggle to get up on my feet
    Sounds as if you had some heavy doses of radiation developing scar tissue while follow up hip surgery even complicated matters further. The off setting nerve damage interrupts impulses (signals) to pop up timely as it can take up to 5 years for the nerves to be receptive although in some cases never 100% again but it will improve over time. The damage nerves do need consistent rehabilitation beyond just surfing so the more stimulus you provide out of the water will shorten the time frame. Don't try to adopt any short cuts as the consequence is developing bad muscle memory habits. So give this some thought, cut out a long piece of carpet to the dims of you surfboard to practice on apply the complete pop up as step 1, (hands) step 2 feet etc. and over time the nerves/muscles will get the message.

Keep working @ it, you get there ...............

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

WhooHooo. 3 months of a twice torn meniscus. Didn't have to pull it and the docs sewed it back together. And they took out a little hunk of plastic that the last surgeon left in there.

6-8 weeks before I can even look at the water : ( got pretty good in brace there for a minute though

Still stoked : ) stay thirsty my friends

Here's to the waves ahead
    Best of luck braddah. Catch up on your Californication and other assorted Netflix and work those crunches. You'll come back fine and with the fervor of renewed stoke. As long as you hop right on that 34" Green Room...

OH BOY !!! A picture of someone's house. Totally diggemsmack.

I love when people get personnel on here, and show me their environment.

Gaff, your foot looks delicious.

Here's to a speedy recovery. I'll toast a special bottle of Kasser's Vodka on the Rt. 554 bus this coming Friday in your honor.

I see Spicoli is still trying to win your favor. Have you given your favor to him yet. I've been gone for a little while so I'm not abreast of everything. Abreast.

Good luck, everyone, in trying to win favor with that special SWELLINFO.COM member that catches your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

No more of that talk or I’ll put the fćkng leeches on you . . .You scurvy shiester bastard. I'm a doctor of journalism man! Get in there and clean your shorts! Clean your shorts goddammit like a big boy!

Thanks for the well wishes Bill.
    i recently seen that movie,6thumbs up lol.I know they had it on demand on Netflix but I always passed by then my boy lent me the dvd and its pretty cool.the best scene is the bathroom with the lsd